Motherboard powering issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Enizax, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    Hey guys, long time no see!

having some power issues with my motherboard and I guess it's high time I ask around for any other opinions.

I've got this i5-3570k system seated on a Gigabyte z77x-ud5h mobo powered by an EVGA 1050W 80+Gold.

For some time now, the motherboard's orange light (the one that serves as a power-on button) lights up, but pressing it will not power on the system. Both this and the system power pins do not trigger the system to power on.

This has started happening, as I recall, out of the blue.

I was thinking it would be a power supply issue (I had an aging 1kW PSU 80+Brnz, to which I replaced for the current 1050W PSU), but to my dismay, this did not solve the problem...

Verified the cables time and time again, to the point of my disassembling and reassembling the system.

I must mention that I had bent a few pins on the motherboard while attempting to reseat the CPU (yikes!) but I took quite a while to re-allign the pins and I can confirm that I've been able to power on the system since that re-assembly. The problem, I believe, is that I can't trigger the system to power back on, once it's up, it can stay up, but when it powers down that's when I struggle to bring it back up)

Speaking of which, at this moment, i've been managing to trigger a power-on with some hot-plugging the PSU to AC, it sometimes gives the jump and wakes the system up (not the safest method in the world, i know) This is all quite confusing as I haven't been able to consistently trigger this power-on.

So at this point, would there be any other alternatives?

- I've enabled Power back on AC Loss in the BIOS (this has given me pretty decent results, except that I would need to pull the plug on my PSU every time I want to power down the system... which isn't the best for my hardware)
    - I could enable Wake-on-Lan for next time, but for that I'd have to bring the system up and running for me to be able to test this out
    - Is there a way to jump the PSU and that could power on the system along with it? (that's a stretch but i'm becoming desperate)

- I could also replace the part with another Z77 board (but these are becoming rather scarce)

In any case, I now count on your opinions, fellow Gurus!

:cheers:

2. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    Thanks for confirming that with me man!

Yeah, that's what I've feared...

Oh well, I'll find some time to reseat and inspect the pins, see if I won't get :banana: too hard...

More to come tonight I guess!

:cheers:

3. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    Hey guys, very late update, I guess I've been way more busy than anticipated.

Tried it all... only to have it fail on me. I end up slapping the case with the system inside out of sheer frustration.

I turn the tower back on and... lo and behold my aggravated assault on my PC must've stopped a short circuit, as I can now boot at will, like before!
    Now I feel like Peter Stormare in Armageddon, banging sh*t and making it work...

On another note, I discovered why my second R9 280X Windforce wasn't working properly...

You know those tiny diodes that are soldered by the PCI-e bridge? I've spotted on torn by lane 1 or 2 (counting from 0), which would explain why CFX wasn't starting, and why the card has been locked in x1 config...

Any ideas on that guys?? :D

Thanks again and :cheers: !