Motherboard makers Optimistic about price performance ratio AMD RYZEN and X370

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Ok, good luck.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I´m getting tired of waiting for Zen to release! First i was going to be released this December, then it was January, then February and now March!!! C´mon WTF is this???!!! To make matters worse, a global release in March means that it´s gonna take at least another month before it´s released in Portugal!...

If Intel releases their stuff in January, then i think i´m gonna skip Zen no matter how good it may be...

4. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Always wait is better...

5. eTheBlack

eTheBlack Member

GPU:
    GigaByte R9 280X W3X OC
    So you gonna wait till 2020 so you get new Intel architecture? :infinity:

6. ThatGuyTopher

ThatGuyTopher New Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    AMD has not deviated from a Q1 release in official statements. Any earlier or more specific release date is solely from the rumour mill.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Why wait? It's not like any new products Intel will release will be a whole lot better than whatever you can get now.

Also, there have been statements about a March release for a while. The statements about December and January were nothing more than hopeful rumors.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Hope my Z77 board lasts till march.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    'cause that's logical......

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeep - was posted on Guru3D back in October too:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ceo-lisa-su-reconfirms-zen-release-in-q1-2017.html

Problem is people post so many links and garbage from rumor sites that people get confused.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Maybe you´re right, it´s just i´ve been holding on for Zen to be released that i´m getting tired/frustrated of waiting for it... Not to mention that my rig is ancient like you can see in my specs...

If Intel´s current cpus had their prices cut by 20% or more to make room to Kaby Lake i would consider buying an 6600K/6700K andbe happy but those things only drop in price months after new cpus are released...

12. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil Vega 64
    Never though it, but going AMD

Even for me it costs too much and gains to little to upgrade my 5820k/1070 ITX rig. To get any meaningful performance increase I'd have to spend $1000 on an Intel CPU and another $600 on top of the 1070 costs. With regard to NVIDIA, if I buy a 1080, before it's burned in they'll release the 20 series with performance tweak and price drop. I'm happy with both Intel and Nvidia but I'm getting off the gravy train at this point. I'm going Ryzen and single slot GPU. There are more monitors supporting Freesync now anyway. I want 32" 1440p or 4k with HDR & Freesync for my next monitor.

AMD is really set to score big in the server space with their 32-core Ryzen server proc.

Competition is good. Nvidia will drop prices and Intel is already looking to kill x86. AMD should take the time to get it right. If they do, it's a win for all consumers regardless of which manufacturer you prefer.

If I were AMD, I would subsidize someone optimizing Frostbite and Unreal engine for multiple cores. Makes no sense that gaming still can't utilize the horsepower available in today's multicore desktops.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I just hope they have some very feature rich Mini-ITX boards in x370.

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    This has been on my big disappointments about AMD boards.

Extremely small amount of choices if any for mini ITX boards.

15. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil Vega 64
    More or less the same with Intel X99 chipset. There's only one, the ASRock I have but it is FULL featured. I'll be pinning my hopes on ASRock. I won't upgrade until I can do so with the ITX form factor.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Would not consider the ASRock board you have "full" feature as it is dual channel DDR4 not quad. How is the cooler it comes with BTW?

17. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil Vega 64
    Full feature, minus Quad Channel. Benchmarks show no significant performance degradation. I'm sure you could find a specific workload that would show a significant difference but for general computing and gaming, none or negligible. They do make a quad channel x99 ITX but it uses SODIMMS. Quad Channel in ITX is not a feature I require but technically you are correct.

I never used the cooler that came with it. I use a Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet CPU AIO Liquid Cooler. Must have silence in ITX. Works fantastic in my ncase m1 v3.

You can get the narrow ILM bracket for all liquid coolers made by Asetek (80%of them?) from their ebay store for $10.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  18. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    No, im not waiting for Intel, im waiting for Zen

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    kill x86? How exactly?

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The case I'm looking at would not let me run a AIO and a full size VGA so I'm looking air cooler. The x99 would be a great platform but I may end up with a 1150 instead. Of course assuming Zen does not impress. Honestly want Zen to cut Intel deep.