motherboard issue i think

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TyrantofJustice, May 5, 2018.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Hi .
    I am on windows 10 64 pro and for the last few months things will not open from taskbar or get stuck in taskbar like groove music and can not access file explorer.

at first upon a fresh install if i put in my nvidia drivers for my 1080 all was ok but today no luck as it happened again.

reinstall windows and it says driver not compatible with system

now i thought to myself let me switch the gpu to a different slot and it works.

so is this mobo related as i also need to replug in devices on occasion like mouse to be reconized and work.

mobo is 4 years old

looking to get a new mobo tomorrow.

every time i installed nvidia driver the same thing with everything minimized to taskbar and stuck there would happen... use revo uninstaller to get rid of drivers and all was back to normal.

so i am assuming this is related to the slot my card was in?

any help is appreciated and let me know if i need a new mobo.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Mess with BIOS settings a bit more. Some features might cause trouble that you might not be actually using.

1) Update BIOS to latest version. Revert to default settings.
    2) Fully disable USB3 in BIOS, just use USB2 slots on backside of motherboard.
    3) Fully disable audio in BIOS, just try get stable boot without sound.
    4) Disable other non-crucial features like Bluetooth, etc... that you not using.

---------------------------------

Hardware wise:
    1) Don't use your GTX1080 yet, just use iGPU to make sure it's not GTX1080 acting up.
    2) Boot with single OS drive, to make sure not other hard drives causing issue.
    3) Unplug all front panels, and other non-crucial cables/hardware from motherboard.

---------------------------------

Just try to get stable OS without GPU, see if there crashes by just running iGPU and doing normal things like watching youtube, etc...

If issue only happens when you enable your GTX1080, that could be not only motherboard or GPU issue, but also PSU not providing stable power and causing issues.

Arshad Hussain likes this.
  3. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    thanks for the reply ... my mobo doesnt have a igpu port so i can not test that at all ... but everything is butter smooth in the bottom pcie slot with same gpu ... does that make sense?

if i switch it back to the other slot i get the same issues.

bios is latest version released on 4/20/2018 but i had the issue in other bios as well as in previous version... this seemed to get progrressivle worse

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Does it run with different PCI-ex speed in bottom slot? If it's x2 in bottom slot, just try adjusting speed in main slot. IE: drop PCI-ex from x16 to x2 in main slot.

5. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    gpu-z says its a 8x slot

6. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    also just noticed my pc properly goes to sleep now ... the gpu led lights used to stay lit but now everything goes off. very strange

7. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    UPDATE: New Mobo fixed the issue but what a pain in the butt to pull everything out and put all back in even my EKWB predator240.. Had to pull it our a second time because the bottom fans block the CPU fan header lol ... my goof.
    Old board still under warranty for another 2 years so RMA setup then i will sell it and make some money back.

Got an ASUS Z170 E for 99.99 at micro center to hold me over until my upgrade later this year.

8. Arshad Hussain

Arshad Hussain Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Updating motherboard drivers to most recent one fixes many major issues. New bios are released to make thing work more effeciently with new type of hardware.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Motherboards don't utilise drivers, if you are refereeing to 'chipset' drivers.

10. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    yeah drivers were not my issue .. and just inn case i am current on everything bios drivers etc.

my broken board is at the ASUS repair center and if they cant fix or replace which i doubt they can replace since it is dicontinued model they said i would get options of a equal replacement.

Either way i am going to ebay it once i get a board back since i have a new one already and amm not redoing the system once again.

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    4 year old board, did you use a multi meter to check the battery voltage? Some times can be a n issue with the motherboard and PSU, Usually seen in Gigabyte boards but can happen in others. Could be a GPU, mother board PSU issue just not wanting to play nicely. Gigabyte GPU huh?

12. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Is there something wrong with Gigabyte Gpu?

13. Arshad Hussain

Arshad Hussain Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Well for graphics issues they do work, even sometimes updating chipset drives can result in smooth performance but it is not always. Secondly, BIOS update is mandatory which improves system performance boot times and hardware connectivity withing mobo.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's what I am saying; chipset drivers aren't drivers and are purely related to getting rid of bang "unknown device" in device manager.

They contain the correct name for said device and flags the device as "Needs no driver"

Arshad Hussain likes this.