motherboard dying X370 to X470 should I reinstall windows?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by potatochobit, May 17, 2020.

1. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I think my motherboard is dying
    4 out of 10 times I start the computer I get a black screen
    I know windows has loaded and is working because my keyboard glows and sound works
    I can log in by memory and I hear windows boot up

when I start the computer I hear a little "squeeze" noise like a dog toy
    I am guess a capacitor is going bad?

at first I thought it could be bad AMD drivers or the graphics card
    but I moved the graphic card to PCIEx16 slot 2
    everything had been working fine for weeks, I have not got a black screen since then
    the capacitor noise also stopped

however, recently my computer has been suddenly turning off at idle, kind of like going into sleep mode
    nothing is on screen, but I have a glowing mouse and keyboard which also stop glowing
    I press a key or mouse button and they glow for a second and go dark again which is not normal
    sleep mode is off, btw
    that is so weird, so I am guessing the USB on the motherboard could be dying?
    the squeak noise has returned once in awhile on startup

I thought it might be my graphics card or power supply that are bad
    but I have put them under high stress with uningine heaven and many VR games
    always works flawlessy, so again I am guessing it is the motherboard?

anyway I have a MSI x370 gaming carbon
    when I install the MSI X470 can I just plug in the hard drive for a few weeks while testing?
    or do you think I should reinstall or just do a restore settings on windows 10?

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well it could be a few things. First thing I'd do is pull out the motherboard battery for a full factory reset and see if that makes any difference. Also that noise you're hearing could just be a case fan spinning up with some kind of obstruction. You said sleep mode is off, but what about your power options?

3. Ripcord

Ripcord Active Member

GPU:
    gtx1060 3GB
    yes its always a good idea

4. Ripcord

Ripcord Active Member

GPU:
    gtx1060 3GB

5. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    The x370 and x470 make use of the same driver package from AMD. You should be fine, but you might need to re-activate Windows.
    It would be different if you were using RAID and switching to an A320 board or something that didn't have it available, but just using a regular drive should be fine.
    Just buy a new key if calling Microsoft for activation assistance is too much of a bother (Ebay, or that place they link you on this site with the advertorial, just get a Global ESD key if in USA or the ones appropriate for your respective country).

As always, back up your browser settings and jot down your login infos, and make a backup of your my documents and desktop folders (and game saves!) just in-case. Normally it's pretty smooth but sometimes, as with anything, things can go wrong.
    If it doesn't work, keep the Windows installation media handy.