Motherboard Cpu 8 pin

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Theod Stef, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Theod Stef

Theod Stef New Member

GPU:
    Gtx 760
    Hello people i need your assistance . I changed my psu after getting it to an expert because the computer was freezing and the 8 pin conncetor from the psu side was burned . But the same problem occured from the new psu . So my hypothesis is that the psu isnt at fault but the mobo or the cpu . Lucky me the 8 pin connector was an extension from the psu's so the the fixed one wasn't damaged .

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    What was your old PSU and what is the new PSU.

You are using an extension cable for 8pin?
    It's not uncommon for those cheap extension cables to be a poor wire gauge which causes wire heat-up and eventually outright failure.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Maybe the extension of the 8 pin is the problem, a lot of power is sucked through that cable / pins

4. Theod Stef

Theod Stef New Member

GPU:
    Gtx 760
    My old psu was a XFX black edition 750w the new one is an aqprox 900w thats what they told me i need at the diagnosis center.
    With the old psu xfx the 8 was directly connected to the motherboard no extensions on but still the wire was burned.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20

You replaced your good PSU with a JUNK psu.

Not meaning to be insulting or anything but that PSU is a literal paper weight, i suggest you return it and get a reputable brand.

386SX likes this.
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If the 8-pin connector on the XFX unit was burned, the power supply needed to be replaced. On the same token, if the 8-pin connector on the PSU is burned, the motherboard is likely damaged as well.

I agree with Agent's statement in regards to the PSU. Always stick with a reputable brand if you don't want more problems.

There is also no need for a 900w PSU with what's listed in your specs...

7. Theod Stef

Theod Stef New Member

GPU:
    Gtx 760
    I will order new parts (mobo,cpu,ram) but can the motherboard damage the psu? I will try to stick with it for as sort as possible and keep it as a back up psu .
    Also how many watts psu you suggest for a ryzen 5 1600 , 16gb 3000mz ram and A gtx 760 that i will upgrade later ?

Also i run a test with a psu tester the 8 pin cpu connector delivers 12.3v no beeping errors .

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  8. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    I would say it's not normal, but it's possible that a damaged mobo could damage a PSU. If, for example, the connection on the motherboard side isn't properly soldered it could cause recurring issues. Since it has happened twice, I would be very careful and eye out for hot wires. I'm guessing you really don't want a fire.

I would avoid extension cables. I disagree with the conclusion that you need a 900 watt PSU.

You could use a PSU estimator like this to get an idea of what you need:
    https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

9. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    If you have a good PSU I think 500 - 600W would be sufficient for your current setup, when I add some harddisks (you have some of them, no?), some case fans and some "other components" (printers? other USB devices? anything else what is connected to your rig and draws some power?) to your named setup. If you want to be in a safezone ("regardless of what I do I want to have enough power to do it") go for some more, say up to 700W. Well, if you go QuadSLI, add hundreds of HDDs and even more fans to it that could be not enough. :)

Btw.: Case, PSU, monitor. Those three only get upgraded / replaced when either "too small" (= missing features, insufficient space, insufficient current, low resolution, etc.) or broken.

Regards

386SX