Motherboard BIOS Firmware update can trigger Windows 10 Inactive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2015.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    So far because of the 30 days thing and a free upgrade for a year I don't think they are being that aggressive on enforcing that.Which is ironic considering this hardware change fiasco.

2. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I agree and I haven't even tried it yet, just going on user comments around the web.Basically I'm of the opinion that the "big heads" would really like for us PC ppl, to convert to using tablets and falling in love with their tablet games! :puke2:

3. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090

Do not ask me to understand their logic. When i do my brain feels like I am bashing it off a brick wall. Kinda like this :bang:

4. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    That's literally exactly what it is. There is nothing Linux cannot do as an OS. Nothing.

There is nothing it's not capable of that another OS is, even if there is something it can be added easier than pretty much any other OS. The only, seriously the ONLY issue is it doesn't have money backing it like Windows.

Try again.

Sorry for the unsavory reply.

5. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Have not had that issue at all.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That dont sound good, seeing I about to get a skylake build and motherboards will proably be getting new bios updates for while.

And I do like have the latest/final bios update on all my boards.. deactivating my windows with my legit key and I will look for other means to active windows..

Hopefully they fix this before it really cause damage

7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Updated to the latest bios on my Gigabyte Gaming Z170 Gaming 7 this morning. My computer is still activated.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The auto-activation thing is definitely nice when it works, but i essentially lost my upgraded Win 8 Pro key when I upgraded to 10 on my laptop. A few week after upgrading to 10, I tried Linux Mint out for a weekend, when I tried to go back to 10 and it wouldn't re-activate. I tried going back to 8 with the old key, that wouldn't work either. I ended up staying on Mint.

When you install 10 it should just spit a key back to you for reinstallation purposes or something, in case the auto activation fails.

9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    That is very, very odd. I upgraded the mainboard at work and also upgraded my system at home with the aforementioned Gigabyte board. I have reinstalled using the Win 8 Pro key and then upgrade over the top without issue. (On both machines.) Did you try calling in with the Windows 8 product key for activation?

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I didn't try calling for 10, but I tried for 8, I wanted to reinstall 8 and re-do the upgrade, I figured that would work. The ~40 digit thing you need to enter into the phone didn't work -- I eventually got on with support and they basically said the key gets terminated when you upgrade to 10, that I had to reinstall Windows 10.

I did the same upgrade process on my Desktop PC and it worked fine. I haven't installed Linux, but I have done hardware modifications and reinstalled 10 a few times. Every time it's worked. My laptop it's another story though. I probably could go through support and get it resolved, but I already purchased a SP4 which comes on Monday to replace the laptop, so I don't really care too much.

I just feel like when I upgrade the 8/8.1 key it should spit back a reinstall key, especially if you have a Full Retail/Pro 8 key. If the auto-activation fails you could just use the key instead of having to jump through hoops.

11. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Yeah, I would say the person that told you that was at best, wrong and at worst, full of it. :bang: That said, enjoy the SP4, I have been enjoying my Original Surface Pro. :)

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man this is ridiculous that MS can't get their act together. Earth to MS BIOS Firmware is not the same as a hardware change and the same goes with OCing. This is one of the reasons why I am not upgrading to Windows 10.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    To me, Windows 10 is a mixed bag. I've upgraded most of my PCs (8/10) and the results depend on what you want to do.

For retro gaming, it is not ideal. Many games don't want to work or just outright won't work. Windows 8/8.1 had this issue, but not as drastic. I also don't like the way MS is locking things down, less friendly to the enthusiast, tinkerer crowd (actually turning off defender, for instance is a real pain). Windows 10 has broken my bluetooth on two devices (that worked on 8). It's also tracking your every move as our new Big Brother.

Stability in 10 is pretty good for being so new. No Windows OS has ever come out of the gate this stable. Not even 7 or XP, my two favorites. It's very snappy. It loads quick. Most AAA games run just a wee bit faster (~2% +FPS). The Start menu is better than it's ever been, with useful stuff and configurable.

There's clearly some underlying issues, as this story shows with bios updates and minor upgrades neutering your OS license. That aside, the Windows 10 upgrade from an older OS, where you carry over user settings, game/app installations, desktop themes (etc) is fantastic. That has never worked very well in the past but it seems to be nearly flawless now.

As much as I'd like to return to Windows 7 on my primary rig (for pure gaming), there are features in Windows 10 that I'd miss. The road is bumpy but nothing I'd say would make me dissuade people from taking the free upgrade. If nothing else, maybe grab a free key and downgrade.

The thing I don't get with MS's zealous need to tie your hardware ID to the key is that it's not exactly hard to pirate an OS. All this is doing is pissing people off who've legitimately bought/upgraded their OS. I can't see that as stopping people from looking for alternatives that actually work, which is sad. The pirated experience working better. Brilliant move MS :3eyes:

14. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    It's not gonna look like this just out-of-the-box, but themes can do this. Themes in Linux are really powerful and change every aspect of your desktop and are not limited to window borders and icons only like Windows, but can change the whole window. i.e. it can make the whole window look like Mac or Windows, which have really different styles that Ubuntu.

You gotta love the themes.
    P.S. Are you also a flat theme lover?
    [EDIT] I think it's Numix Dark theme. With 3rd Party Icons installed.

15. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    So far so good after BIOS update. Still activated.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It can, but this didn't happen to me when I updated this board.

17. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Windows. Windows never changes. It needs time to mature.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Speaking of uefi updates. I hate it when I have to reconfigure all my settings after updating. Why can i just load my old profile? Also, my copy of W10 was still activated.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If only games support linux...

20. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I do understand your frustration. However if i got time i will change CPU as well. Let's see what happens :D

Also i may ask my friend to borrow me an vga card just to make some extra fun on windows activation. Ohh, i will also migrate to SSD from HDD to make it even more " complicated" to win 10.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015