1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mother of god, have you ever seen a cpu cooler like this

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by damien666, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Holy jesus man, my tuniq tower gets dusty too, but never that much! Compressed air ASAP! :p

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    you dont have any air filters in your case? Also having the case on the floor especially if its carpet, gets alot more dust in the system.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I have had a worse heatsink. I noticed the P4 on the machine I am using now hitting close to 100c at IDLE, and showing almost full utilisation. I was definitely having a "zomgwtf" moment.

Opened the case, and there she was. The stock heatsink full of dust. And by full of dust, I mean the actual heatsink had a full layer of dust in between each fin. It was a block of dust, and had been used as such for God know's how long after I left for uni. Obviously, CPU was overheating and throttling, and STILL overheating by a drastic amount.

4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    wow damien how do you do it?
    today i opened my friend's PC to see something similar but it was all over the place..
    his videocard was not getting power (a 6600gt) and i had to plug in another molex connector, he is in crap...

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    ROFL ITS FURRY.
    No seriously I think that's what my filters look like if I dont clean then every two weeks.

6. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    lol this inspired me to open up my machine and dust away, so thanks :)

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I do it monthly without thinking usually...

deltatux

8. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi people thanks for the comments lol, well its weird as my case does now have front filter and i dont have any side fans like i use to have just 2x120 front (in) ---and 1x120 back (out). also i will notice my gfx card is clean and my mobo is clean so iy seems my air flow is working like straight in the front thought the cpu and out the back, 3

9. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I got some ones house fire computer on my work bench atm. luckily melted front case hdd survived so they happy i can get all theyre files..

10. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Seems like your cpu cooler got a little too cold and decided to put on a fur coat.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have a question related to cleaning PCs and it seems appropriate to ask it here: I recently bought a couple of cans of compressed air specifically to keep my PC and keyboard free of dust. I've never used them before but I was alarmed to discover that drops of condensation appear if you spray too long. My question is this: water and electrics don't normally mix and while I'm obviously never going to clean my PC while it's powered up or connected to the mains, is there a risk of this condensation damaging parts? It seems to evapourate quickly but it still leaves me worried. It might seem like an obvious question but there is no warning on the can itself.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i think thats a good question and noticed it myself whilst using cans if compressed air. would be interested to hear some answers..

13. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    If everything is turned off, the only thing that can still have charge and fry stuff are caps and batteries. For the rest, it evaporates realy fast.

I still prefer cleaning computers with a vacuum and a brush with long soft threads(is this the correct term?). Because I dont like spreading the dust everywhere. Even on the balcony I'd have to clean that too.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've heard that you're not supposed to use a vacuum cleaner to clean the insides of computers with as there's a risk of static which can damage the components, particularly if you're using a brush attachment. I suppose you'd be OK with one of those plastic "pipe" attachment though.

That said, a vacuum cleaner would be a lot better for removing dust than compressed air because all that does, as you correctly say, is spread all the dust around the case. You'd still need to remove the dust afterwards.

15. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    The brush is used to move the dust and the vacuum to suck it up. Brush touching puter, vacuum not. :D

Also, plastic vacuum tubes can get static charge when a cloth is rubbed on them, but not the metal ones.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If your board starts to rust you can clean it off with a wire brush. Not....

Ok to answer your question, the Professional way to clean out a PC is indeed with compressed air. That's what Techs use.

BUT in saying that I've also used a Vacuum on my own even though it's frowned upon, but never had any trouble nor do I know of anybody who has fried their board with a Vacuum Cleaner....

A brush is not recommended.

btw you can actually clean gfx cards with water, believe it or not.

I don't know about the vapor but I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it's not a bucketful.

17. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Me and my coleagues cleaned at least 5000 PC's during the years with that method. Not one of them ever had any issue. (its at your discretion to believe it or not). Some of the guys here have been techs for more than 15 years.

18. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Oh, and heres the main culprit right now. It cleaned a lot since I've been here. About 30ish servers and a couple hundred pc's. (lets not forget switches, routers, ups's, printers, etc.) Mby brush is not the right term for it. :)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2yubl9t.jpg

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh I see. 5000... That's a lot of PC's to clean. I don't think I have cleaned quite that many.

Would you like to know what Comp Tia says about cleaning PCB boards with a brush?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  20. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Mkay, I sense a lot of sarchasm... heres a screen that shows we are a respectable firm(at least in the quantity of hardware) and got quite a few pc's. So in combined years of working here you get quite a sum of hardware during the years.
    [​IMG]

But hell, whatever works for ya! As long as you keep it clean! :D

P.S. Thats not the whole firm, just my domain.