Most recent DDU version bricked my system

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by McMeevin, Sep 24, 2017.

1. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    Posting from phone so I'll keep this short. Downloaded the latest DDU and launched it. Proceeded to clean and reboot in safe mode. System went to boot but now it cycles endlessly when loading OS. I cannot even perform a system restore from windows recovery, it's like it cannot even properly read the restore point that is there. Also, it's not the restore point that the DDU normally creates before booting to safe, so wtf gives? Anyone else experienced this with latest DDU? I'm currently without a PC because of this....

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Boot from the Windows install media (USB or DVD) and repair the install?

Or force Win 10 to fail to boot a few times and it should give recovery options

airbud7 likes this.
  3. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    I already have gone through the recovery options as that is how I got to the restore point selection to begin with. Will have to wait until I get to work tomorrow as we have win10 media USBs there, still, not good! The DDU should have created that restore point before the reboot but it didn't

4. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    There's more to recovery options than system restore, you can use CMD to repair the MBR etc

airbud7 likes this.

5. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    I even tried a DISM (obviously online will not work) but offline is getting me nowhere. I guess I will try an sfc next but not getting my hopes up.

Edit: just tried a scan effected programs In system restore and got the following error:

There was an unexpected error:

An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the systems image of the registry

Looks like the registry is f'd

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    bootrec /fixmbr
    and
    bootrec /fixboot
    and
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

From CMD

airbud7 likes this.
  7. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    Yeah tried those too, says they complete successfully but still doesn't boot.

What is strange also is that CMD is recognising the OS image is on X: drive, and when I try to change to C: drive the next command line says C: but then lists X: again directly below it

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Might be a different drive letter in recovery console, try d: then type dir to see the contents, do that with each letter until you find the OS drive

airbud7 likes this.
  9. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    C: is the system drive so I'd be wanting to navigate there, but yes I do have a partition labelled D:

Even if I cd D: it does the same thing.

Edit: performing a list disk it shows my disk but it says it has 0 bytes free, just how could have this happened?

The software wiped the MBR by the looks of it, obviously not what it was developed to do I'm sure. No recent backups too so suffice to say I'm not happy in the slightest

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Might have to clean install (Do not format at drive selection) then copy your data from C:\Windows.old once the new install boots, if you cannot repair it

Done a chkdisk /r ?

11. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    Even performing a clean install it says it encounters a problem and does not finish. Oh well, I'm going to get another drive loaded with windows and try to access the data from there.

12. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Possible the DDU was a coincidence and the drive failed, just happened when the machine rebooted maybe

13. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    I guess I'll see tomorrow, if the drive is readable and able to be formatted again I'd say the software has had a hand in its current state.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Shouldn't affect a clean install, doesn't matter how much of a mess the software on the drive is, a clean install should work fine

airbud7 likes this.
  15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    I used the latest DDU and didnt have any problems..

And if you boot in safe mode from DDU you used in your own risk as it says in the options..

16. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    But I did start it in safe mode just as I always have done with the previous versions of DDU.

So it seems like my data is intact thankfully when plugging it into another system, so I'd say a driver has just become corrupt or something when it was trying to uninstall it that's why my system fails to boot.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Windows used to have a registry backup, if it still does you can delete the bad files and restore the backup. I'll have to look where it is when I get home, I can't remember specifics without it in front of me.

Things like dism and sfc won't help this situation, and it has nothing to do with mbr, if it did it wouldn't boot. Maybe UEFI doesn't even need it when not considering the legacy layer (accessing GPT partitions in legacy mode etc).

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Now I have the computer in front of me I remember straight away where it is :). From the install media, press shift+F10 when the language selection window pops up. This will open a command prompt. Find your drive with Windows on it, it won't be C: so cycle through the drive letters until you find it :). The number of drives depends on how many drives/partitions you have in place. The drive letters are set up on an OS level in Windows (or other OS), and don't forget Windows Setup is actually a mini-Windows.

From there, type in:
    Code:
    cd \windows\system32\config
    copy regback\* .
    Don't forget the dot after copy regback\*, and technically you wouldn't even need the \*)
    and when prompt to overwrite, do so. That should restore your last known good registry copy that was made when you last successfully shut down. That is, right before you rebooted to safe mode:). This way of fixing has been around a very long time (possibly NT 4.0 and certainly 2000/XP onwards), although with slight variations like the attribute of the files being normal and not as 'system', but the config folder being marked as 'system' instead. Also, the old backup files were with a .bak extension in the same folder. You had to delete each file and rename the .bak file manually. That was after removing the system attribute with the attrib command. Now you can simply just copy them back over from the regbackup folder.

For such a useful feature Microsoft has never made a non-power user way of restoring it, and yet the functionality is still there and had been improved upon. It's one of those things I hope they don't decide to remove in the future.

I just looked up the MBR statement I made, a GPT drive has a MBR to only act as a protective layer, your boot is controlled by the GUID. If the MBR or GUID is corrupt, you would get a boot error from the bios, not be able to load half of Windows. Another issue that could be related is if there is a filesystem error, so no harm in running chkdsk whilst you're there, so chkdsk (drive) /f /perf

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Apparatus and McMeevin like this.
  19. McMeevin

McMeevin Member

GPU:
    STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    Thanks a lot for the guide! I will try when I get the time to do so, but I have a WD Black which I was going to designate as my system drive anyway as I currently have a green, but I will try your fix to see if it works.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Ah ok! Yeah the WD Green's aren't system drives, if you want to go green drives surveillance drives are the way to go IMO, although they're typically more expensive they have a very much significantly higher reliability. A typical desktop drive is rated at 2400 power on hours a year, and light use. Green drives are much the same, although preferably even lighter use. Surveillance drives however are designed for many years use with 24/7 operation, constantly writing and reading multiple streams. They perform much the same as a green drive for desktop use (although are better at multiple stream write handling) and run at 5900 rpm, but I know which one I would prefer to rely my data to :). For full speed drives, enterprise class drives have the great reliability as well. I believe the WD Black is essentially an enterprise class drive targeting desktop use.

I see in your profile your system specs are:
    CPU: Intel i7-6700k
    GPU: STRIX R9 390OC 8GB
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-Pro
    Ram: DDR3 16GB
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

A SSD would be much more ideal, put your main stuff on that and run additional games etc off the WD black, and photo's, video's etc on a green drive if you don't access them all the time.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017