1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most graphically advanced title (2017 edition)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Most graphically advanced game of 2017

1. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Frostbite 3.5)

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus (Id tech 6.5)

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Assasssin's Creed Origins (AnvilNext)

28 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (RE engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Forza Motorsport 7 (Forzatech engine)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Call of Duty WW2 (IW engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (UE4)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Total War Warhammer 2 (Warscape engine)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Destiny 2 (Inhouse engine)

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Other (Please specify)

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Syndicate sacrifices the pre-computed global illumination system for a full day/night transition instead of having only a few set times (Which you can switch between after beating the story as I remember.) it also has other optimizations including less clutter and lower draw distance plus fewer NPC's but the game still looks pretty good and the cutscenes in particular keep the visual fidelity at a pretty high level. :)

In Origins having some more NPC's around would help but I take it it's a form of optimization, more polygons on the character models and a higher diversity of clothing and the like wouldn't hurt either but players usually don't stop and stare on crowds of actors that don't really do anything other than trying to simulate the game world being a bit more alive. :D

The GI solution also really helps with the interiors in Unity and still is at a pretty high level of quality in Origins while also retaining full day and night transition and through a couple of different weather conditions too.
    (Buckingham Palace in Syndicate isn't bad though but even that lacks some of the details found in the richer Unity interior locations where some random room with nothing but a minor loot chest can have all sorts of intricate details and golden engravings and such.)

Perhaps not for the PS4 and XBO but the next console generation Ubisoft could take another stab at a high density urban location wherever the next game takes place, plenty of polls from Ubisoft on what people want to see but there's no info currently.
    (Guessing it's still too early to say anything about a possible sequel.)

EDIT: PC version of Unity was going to have a tessellation update too but Ubisoft's initial launch of the game saw focus shift over to patching up the worst issues and then move to DLC content like Dead Kings leaving tessellation unimplemented.
    (But more 3D looking roof shingles wasn't that bad of a loss overall though it would have been neat to have as a option.)

2. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Even though being a few years oId I think Batman Arkham Knight deserves high praise for its level of graphical fidelity considering the outdated engine (UE3) it runs on. The devs really pushed the engine to its limits here. It has no PBR and still manages to look incredibly realistic and detailed. And ohhh the character models - texture work is out of this world and I've yet to see a game that beats this one in that regard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Will be interesting to see what Rocksteady will do next, Superman was rumored but we'll see. Newest UE4 builds allow for a lot of interesting visual tech and also very scalable graphics as long as the developers make use of it. Outsourcing of the PC port tends to hamper things a bit though.

EDIT: Took a long time for the PC version to be patched up too and it has a really aggressive streaming system now based on grids instead of being dynamic if I remember correctly. Uses quite a bit of memory but they did keep the visual fidelity and even restored some missing effects before stopping any continued support because it was too much of a effort to fix everything after months of work.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    NPC count is strongly related to time of day in AC Origins. Like around late morning to early afternoon, there are a lot of NPCs walking around working, talking etcetera.. But at night and in the evening, the NPC count drops sharply.

I'm honestly very impressed by the technological enhancements that Ubisoft made for AnvilNext in AC Origins. It vastly improved, or outright solved a lot of problems that have plagued the series. Number one being LoD. The LoD in this game is much better than in previous AC titles, by a long shot.

This was another shortcoming that was addressed, though not only in AC Origins. Ghost Recon Wildlands was the first AnvilNext based game to use tessellation I believe.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I agree that Batman Arkham Knight has some amazing texture work. But the fact that it was on the UE3.5 REALLY hurt the presentation. For instance, nearly all of the lighting and shadows (including Batman's shadow) in that game are all baked as far as I can tell, so there's very little dynamic effects.

This made it more of a cross gen title than next gen. If they had used UE4, then the graphics would have been far superior, and not to mention the performance. But they definitely get an A for effort though, and it's definitely impressive what they managed to achieve with the last gen UE3.5 engine.