1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most graphically advanced title (2017 edition)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Most graphically advanced game of 2017

1. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Frostbite 3.5)

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus (Id tech 6.5)

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Assasssin's Creed Origins (AnvilNext)

28 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (RE engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Forza Motorsport 7 (Forzatech engine)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Call of Duty WW2 (IW engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (UE4)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Total War Warhammer 2 (Warscape engine)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Destiny 2 (Inhouse engine)

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Other (Please specify)

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    For me it comes down to three titles.

Wolfenstein 2, Resident Evil 7... and Hellblade.
    They all do different things and have very, wildly different visual styles. But, are all striking games visually.
    I would say Hellblade smashes other games in it's detail and realistic character model. It manages to make Senua look human, without looking odd.

For overall world and visual quality I would go with Wolf 2. RE7's visuals are impressive and definitely land a realistic look, but Wolf 2 offers a wider, more varied set of environments.

For me, just not overly impressed with other titles.
    AC:O looks like... AC. Just a little better. Not that that's a bad thing, it just didn't grab me. I would say Shadow of War looks better then AC:O.
    And SW: BF2 looks like a DICE game. Yes, it looks incredible... but... even with the Star Wars settings, all the games tend to look about the same.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    A well implemented DX12 renderer should almost always outperform a DX11 renderer, and this is especially the case for large, detailed and complex titles like AC Origins. The main thing holding DX12 back is that most every single game engine is built around DX11 or other high level APIs. To get the most out of DX12, the engine has to be re-architected from the ground up, and include support for SM6.0/6.1.

Nah, I don't believe that DRM is the problem. If DRM was the problem, then the high CPU usage would be everywhere in the game, and not just in the big cities like Alexandria. The game has high CPU usage due to the size and the detail levels. The game is constantly reading off of storage at a high transfer rate, which is very unusual from what I've seen. I think Ubisoft implemented this in an effort to lower memory requirements, but from what I gather, reading from storage has higher CPU overhead than reading from RAM or VRAM.

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    You need to play the game man. AC Origins is about a mile above the Witcher 3 when it comes to lighting and LoD. AC Origins uses some kind of dynamic global illumination which looks amazing, while Witcher 3 had some kind of pared back image based lighting which looked flat in comparison. The lighting was the biggest downgrade that happened with the Witcher 3. Witcher 3 also has the same LoD and draw distance (except for shadows and vegetation) for the PC and console versions. With AC Origins, the PC version has longer draw distances and higher LoD all around.

4. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No contest, ACO is an absolutely stunning game with incredible attention to detail that really draws you into the world and the HDR update cannot come soon enough.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks Wolfenstein is such a good looking game, for the most part I found it visually unimpressive, still a fun romp make no mistake, but the only thing I found visually compelling was the New Orleans stage and it was not nearly long enough.

Obviously, it's all subjective :p

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    For me my vote is for Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, one I am going to throw in there as well is Halo 5 Forge with 4k textures for second. The game was released...Last year on PC but uncompressed 4k textures came to both platforms finally when the X update came for Halo 5.

There is one thing I will say for COD, and they've done it well and in my opinion the best since LA Noire starting in BO3, but facial movements and capture. Hellblade does this the best, but surprizingly COD does it pretty close to it.

6. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    100% agree,its okayish but nothing outstanding,the palm trees looks medicore,and textures are often blurry as hell

ramthegamer and Dragam1337 like this.
  7. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Threads like this are always funny!

You can't compare open world games with some linear and closed games. Closed games allow you to put more details into your scene because levels are small, lod is different, etc.
    Also even some open world games can't be compared like Witcher 3 and ACO. Witcher 3 is heavy foliage and AOC is basically desert. Heavy foliage is the biggest performance killer in games, and Witcher 3 is the only game which has real forests that i'm aware of. So during game design you must make compromises here.
    Things like higher res textures, weapons in the sand, or one more texture water layer are nice, but these are not some next-gen features and they really do not affect performance at all, or very little.

Wolfenstein looks excellent, but it is far from some technically advanced game.

Overall open world heavy foliage games are the most advanced, because of high draw calls. I talk about games that have lush vegetation and good performance.
    Here is Cryengine king. Witcher 3 also surprised me with his foliage and performance.
    Next game that will make big difference is Kingdome Come: Deliverance which of course use Cryengine.

This level of vegetation with SVOGI can only Cryengine deliver.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I can't really make out the first post either with dark theme and Chrome, thought it was just two emoticons strangely arranged... lols.

From the few games I bought (and actually were released) this year it'll have to be Destiny 2 for me.

9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    PC gaming has been garbage, graphically. Garbage.

Uncharted 4 and it's expansion. Horizon Dawn and it's expansion. Infamous Second Son and it's expansion - on a PS4 Pro with added effects, all blow away anything on PC in the last 3-4 years.

Destiny 2 is a decent looking game, but by no means is it breathtaking. Plenty of area's in that game that look very last-gen due to the engines age. And that's where I know I'm not wrong. Because all these PC-only guys that refuse to play console are going ape sh**T about "how good Destiny 2 looks" That tells me these guys have not seen impressive graphics this generation yet.

TR2N and TheDeeGee like this.
  10. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah, you forgot Gran tursimo sport, also blows any racer on PC. But I still think that Pro pinball timeshock ultra has the best graphics anywhere lol.

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Honestly haven't tried Gran Turismo. The steering in that game, I always found maddening lol.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    It's why i play Games with a Cartoony Artstyle these days, never disappoints.

13. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming 8G
    Haven't played any of the listed games. I bought Planet Coaster last week and for a simulation/management game the graphics are pretty impressive.

14. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    jOE! jOE! jOE! jOE!

15. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Garbage he says...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    From what I know about Horizon Zero Dawn the developers got a lot out of the PS4 hardware and even more from the PS4 Pro allowing for some additional enhancements, although tech wise they're using a lot of tricks but if it isn't noticeably by the user and the game runs well it doesn't matter too much. :D

https://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-uses-all-sorts-of-clever-tricks-to-lo-1794385026
    (Culling for one of these tricks isn't anything new though, why render what the player isn't seeing.)

On that note Frostbite Engine used by Dice (Battlefront for example and of course Battlefield.) and Quantum Break using whatever game engine Remedy developed also has some neat tricks.

Frostbite uses some form of temporal effect for their SSR reflections, it's fast but prone to artifacts as a result (Re-using previous frames I think, forgot the exact details on this.) though when it works it allows for a lot of reflective environments in their games.
    For Quantum Break they use a variation of global illumination that is more pre-baked and some other tricks, was part of one of Remedy's presentations on game engines and graphics a few years back I believe, still needed lower-res back buffer though.
    (And the framerate kinda tanks if that's disabled but it really showcases the visual fidelity of the game too.)

EDIT: On PC downsampling at 4x or 2x2 and all the ways this can be called (Double width and height.) does bring out a lot of additional detail as well, especially with shader aliasing and specular aliasing being hard to combat and it can also increase sharpness somewhat.

Takes a really high-end GPU though to maintain playable settings since at something like 2560x1440 a doubled resolution is 5120x2880 and for newer games that's outside of playable framerates though dropping stuff like shadows can help a bit and maybe texture quality if VRAM is running low.
    (Titan X Pascal probably has a advantage here with it's 12 GB VRAM, other bottlenecks aside the Vega Frontier 16 GB HBM2 probably also helps a bit and of course "standard" 8 GB GPU's such as the regular Vega or the 1080 Ti.)

Also impressive how the Xbox One X implements a sort of downsampling for backwards compatibility with little work from the developers side though this can be used for additional enhancements due to the stronger hardware in this console.

And it also makes things look positive for the next console generation which will likely have even stronger hardware though this will drive up system requirements such as RAM even further I'd imagine.
    (Even if the PC version actually happens to be well optimized and otherwise fully functional.)

EDIT: Far as assets go well implemented tessellation and tech like global illumination, advanced ambient occlusion, shadows and of course physically based shading or rendering coupled with high-res textures also go a long way, Witcher 3 and it's various outfits are a good example here even if some NPC models are a bit rough but for games like this actors used mostly for ambience tend to be a bit lower detailed. :)

Dishonored 2 has a good implementation too in this regard even if the art style is more stylized and not completely photo realistic although not quite water colored as in the first game either.

Or Wolfenstein New Order / Old Blood and The New Colossus...if the textures are allowed to load in fully.
    (Weapon models and some character models are a bit wonky for some reason.)

And photogeometry, results speak for itself for games such as Vanishing of Ethan Carter and I think Battlefront 1 uses it too for it's environments. :)

EDIT: More Battlefront 1 examples from a older Neogaf topic from last year discussing texture quality.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193744629&postcount=241

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Carfax and SerotoNiN like this.
  17. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Wow, seriously!?
    These games can not be compared with old Crysis 3, not only in terms of quality of assets but in terms of technology.
    If these were first person games you would be quite disappointed to see up close all those low details. They do however look artistically beautiful.
    They can't even be compared with Witcher 3 because this world is much more detailed, there is much more going on in this game. Novigrad is the best and most detailed city ever made.

But the thing here is that PC games do not exist anymore, or to be more precise PC exclusives. So nobody really pushes graphics except Crytek. But even Crytek must make compromises because of consoles, with smaller levels, less details, etc.

ramthegamer likes this.
  18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    agree totally, the only company to ever take drastic decisions to delve into graphic realism adding to it an artstyle which fits, but for me battlefield 1 i am really impressed with, some maps look awesome, like the ones in the french countrysides, absolutely amazing looking maps there, from.lighting, to LOD to vegetation...
    consoles are hampering the release of pc exclusive AAA shooters, this is a fact

19. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by showing me games that also look virtually identical on console.

ramthegamer likes this.
  20. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Some games definitely look much better on PC where devs decided to use it's power a little bit.
    Good example is Witcher 3.