more newbie questions - Performance Tab

Discussion in 'nVHardPage' started by Thor, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Greetings,

Forigve this newbie question but I have to ask it for myself.

GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB running on WinMe OS with latest Det drvrs from section at GURU. (P4 1.3G, 768 RAM)

I see on your Guru section it says not fully supported OS.

But is there a way to try to turn on the Performance Tab? Or one being looked at?

Willing to be a lab rat for beta testing.

:cool:

2. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Guest

Well, not to be rude, but why the hell are you using Window ME!?!!? Microsoft doesn't even like to talk about it, that's how bad it is. I'd recommend trying to find another OS if you can first off. Something like Windows 2000 or XP. Otherwise find Windows 98 SE or something, but at all costs, try to avoid Windows ME, for the love of God! Besides the fact that the OS sucks, you'll get better performance out of your system when using 2000 or XP. NT based OS's take advantage of that amount of physiclly RAM you have installed, as to 98 or ME do not, because of thier DOS-like builds.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2003
  3. Matuus

Matuus Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB GDDR3
    Yes, P4 with 768MB RIMM and GeForce4Ti 4200 is optimal for Windows XP ...

And sorry, I am not sure about Performance & Quality settings tab in Windows 9x/Me, but I try ask my friends ( if I find one with Win9x/Me) and tell you.

4. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Thanks DarkEagle and Maatus :)

Will await Maatus reply.

Definite will be changing OS.

Which do you think is better? 2000 or XP for someone who has an old game I think still based in DOS.

RB3D I think is one that has many problems with transition to XP but not sure with 2000.

Any advice welcome and np with comments DarkEagle sir for it is valid that I have had many many troubles with WinMe.

;)

TY again sirs - waiting in anticipation in the clouds :cool:

5. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Guest

To tell you the truth, any DOS based games or apps you may want to use, you'd be better off using those on a DOS or Windows 98 based box. Although, Windows 2000 and XP both have compatiblity to a degree... but never guaranteed to work right, or at all with DOS based programs. If you reallly want to run DOS programs, especially on your current machines specs as you stated before, then either use an entirely different computer for DOS programs, or don't use the DOS pograms at all anymore. I actually have another machine setup for Windows 98, so I can play those classic games on it. But, that's me, a guy with 6 PCs and tons of time, LOL. :p

Of course this would mean you'd have to have another machine to do this. For most people, that's not an option.

Good luck! ;)

6. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    LOL - wish I had a couple computers just for the old games. There are XP work arounds for RB3D but was trying to avoid that stuff - guess I am just lazy ;)

Anyway TY again

7. Matuus

Matuus Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB GDDR3
    Which Red Baron you mean? From 12/19/90 release? I try this game and work in WinXP great, but without sound. For enabling sound you can download WDMSound utility.

8. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    S! Maatus,

The version I refer to of RB is Red Baron 3D.

The XP problems are as you indicate the same with sound and USB joysticks in RB3D. Think you are talking of either RB1 or 2 dated from '90, RB3D dated '97

There is a workaround with XP and RB3D but involves a mod to the .dat files each time you play it :eek: .

If you are online it can be a major pain - SP version tolerable according to reports.

But we all know that connections even with cable/dsl/broadband/whatever... get glitches - thus if you have to reboot or restart to reenter you must redo the .dat files adding critical delay time to reentry when you are in a squadron level combat or fly without sound in XP w/USB joystick - one tactic in MMP is to listen for the air raid sirens thus one need for sound...

I have also considered a partition with two separate OS. But again I am just lazy and was looking for a quick performance boost.

Thanks again all - let me know if a way to turn on the Tab in 9x style OS is possible if you hear of one

S! This help is much appreciated by a novice like me :)

9. PitMeister

PitMeister Guest

Dualboot

How about trying to install a full version of Windows XP or 2000... it will detect that you already have ME installed and ask if you want to DUAL Boot.

Just an idea to get more performance, at a cost of HD space. Then again, you could always borrow/buy an additional HD and install XP/2k and still dual boot the system without a cost to your space. :D

10. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Hiya All,

Good thoughts. Actually I did the XP pro upgrade because I got a good deal on it here at the University - academic price.

Using a batch file to work around the preferences with .DAT file conflict. Had to do with the game and USB joysticks. Game written for Win95. Batch file deletes the old rbpref.dat file then runs the exe file. Means I have to "manually" reset my preferences like resolution and some of the realism factors but worth the XP boost.

You guys not kidding about the resource drain by Me on frames. nearly tripled mine from Me to XP.

Thanks again