More flicker problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mtmrop, Jul 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    atleast he knows what couses it, if he checks it

could check profiles.xml too if mem freq is equal there

2. mtmrop

mtmrop Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870 1GB CF
    bokah / EAK

Hi and thanks once again for your responses.

I just want to clarify the change I've made; I've essentially set the cards to be permanently overclocked, so running something around 940 / 1080 (i'm not on my PC at the moment) on both cards....and it really is running perfectly with not even a hint of flicker.

I suspect that I may have given a wrong impression regarding my experience. My PC's have all got modified mobo BIOS's which I've done myself. The problem is that I don't know much about graphics card BIOS's. If there is a good guide to read somewhere please let me know!

Two things are concerning me at the moment. One is that frequency changes can't be the root cause of the problem. It seems that I'm not alone in having an ATI card that doesn't like freq. changes though. The second is that as the cards are running permanently overclocked they're consuming a lot of power all the time. This is far from an ideal case scenario!

3. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    u can adjust 2d voltage from profiles.xml even if u put frequenzies to equal level for both 2d and 3d, just use values shown in bios and it works.

4. mtmrop

mtmrop Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870 1GB CF
    bokah,

that sounds like it's worth a shot!

Will let you know how it goes.

mtm

5. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    +1 Good call, my friend.:nerd:

6. mtmrop

mtmrop Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870 1GB CF
    Ok, it looks like i've got a viable solution now.

I played around with the profiles.xml file, but the voltages were all already set to maximum. Setting the card which runs the display to permanently run max memory clock didn't work (not sure why).

However, i looked again at the Radeon BIOS Editor and Winflash and decided that it wasn't that risky to adjust the BIOS. So, I've adjusted the BIOS so that the display adaptor card runs permanently at 1088MHz memory clock and the core clock is allowed to throttle back. The crossfired card is running as normal with no modification.
    This should give improved power saving over using RT and has eliminated the flicker.

3DM06 scores before and after check out ok. Gaming appears to be stable as well.

Thanks to everyone for your help :)

mtm

7. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    profiles can get u only so far u can see on ccc oc utility and doesnt work very well with rt

good u got it going :)