Monster Hunter: World

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Whiplashwang, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
  2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  3. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Yeah, I'm holding off until I know more. Capcom doesn't have the best rep when it comes to PC ports. Quite a shame.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    on my wishlist, but not pulling the trigger until i see some reviews.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Console versions (Xbox One X version is the one I've played) have horrid framepacing issues as a result of an uncapped framerate that rarely goes above 35-40 fps. Quite why the game isn't capped at 30 fps is anyone's guess but it makes for a mildly unpleasant and juddery experience in my opinion that distracts from the gameplay. The game itself is otherwise excellent.

The PC version should have no issues holding a locked 60 fps on mid to high end hardware (or maintaining a locked 30 fps on less powerful hardware, something console owners cannot choose) so that alone will make this the definitive version even if the graphics themselves look identical.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Denuvo tanks FPS.

Hitman had denuvo when SE owned the IP, and on busy maps i would have dips into the 30s. When SE ditched the IP the devs removed denuvo, and my fps does not dip below the mid 50s, even on busy maps and only time it dips if i sit in a crowded area and spin the camera like a mental patient.

Hitman could get away with it because it is not a twitch game, but higher fps is always less jarring and annoying.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What?

Lost Planet 2, Devil May Cry 4, DmC Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil HD, Resident Evil 0 HD, Resident Evil 5 and 7, all good to great PC versions IMO. Sure, Resident Evil 4 was garbage on its original release and Street Fighter V was a mess at launch but that applied to every version even the consoles as it was missing 2/3rds of the game! Capcom have come a long way in recent years IMO and now release generally decent PC conversions in my experience.

This game runs on the MT Framework engine, which is well optimised for PC and from those settings it looks like the LOD can be increased, likely beyond that of the console versions which even on the Xbox One X has noticeable pop in. From those options anyway it looks like there is a decent amount of customisation which is definitely a good thing.

As I said previously, the console versions suffer from inconsistent framerates despite the Pro and X versions having three Graphics presets (Favour Resolution, Favour Graphics, Favour Performance) as none of them can hold a locked 60 fps and there is no 30 fps cap either. It makes for a generally unpleasant and jerky gaming experience which I'm sure will not be the case on the PC. The console versions also use some kind of image reconstruction akin to checkerboarding according to Digital Foundry. Hopefully that won't be the case with the PC version.

Those alone should make this PC version *the* one to get IMO.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So you don't think that perhaps updated graphics drivers and patches that optimise the game are perhaps more likely to explain improved performance? Hitman in particular has had dozens of updates since its release. ;)

I don't think Denuvo is half as bad as what people claim it is. Sure, in an ideal world there would be no DRM but then there also wouldn't be poorly coded games and buggy graphics drivers either that I believe account for most of the issues people have with games.

anxious_f0x likes this.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Who paid you to say that lol. The difference in frames in FF15 legal steam copy vs. unlocked pirated copy is about 10 frames. I own the legal copy and after all the reading, downloaded the pirated copy that took out the anti-piracy software and I had gains of up to 10fps in some areas. That's nothing to scoff at. This is a consistent issue with certain DRM methods. Other methods don't tank frames but cause hitching and hiccups. Some are completely fine with no issues.

Point being. It IS a consistent issue and is ironic that people paying for the game, get the worst version.

cerebus23 likes this.
  12. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    One of the reasons I'm still holding off is 21:9 support. I need to know if Capcom is supporting that aspect ratio since they downright refused to support it in Resident Evil 7. If anyone finds out please post it here. Thanks!

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Steam release says 9th of August but allkeyshop and a few key sites say somewhere in September.
    Wut?

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    GMG says aug 9th.

15. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

No support as of now.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Ah the Asian challenge of 21:9. I bet it's soooooo hard to implement.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, it's just a few sites that didn't get digital keys and have to wait for physical copies which have later dates.

I'm really not sure about this game. Some YT videos claim that it's uglier than the PS4 version. Also the performance is difficult to assess. I want to be sure that it's a 4K/60fps game i buy.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Seems 4K60 can be quite tricky to achieve if this is anything to go by:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/26/monster-hunter-world-pc-specs-frame-rate-performance/

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE

Uh-oh... did anyone read that article and notice that the game uses dynamic resolution scaling that apparently *cannot* be disabled in the settings:

Quote: "At first, I was cautiously optimistic. When I finally got to the options menu, the game’s graphics settings had defaulted to Highest on 2560×1440, and for a while I was running around chopping up dinos at 60fps without a care in the world. Then I realised its dynamic resolution feature was turned on, which, irritatingly, you can’t actually turn off."

In fact, the game seems to use a Prioritise Resolution setting similar to what the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions have.

Hopefully, Capcom will patch the game so it can be ran with a fixed native resolution. While dynamic resolution scaling is a nice option to have, emphasis on the *option*, it should not be mandatory in a PC game.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Highest should be native and then the lower settings should be reducing it, I've seen the game with screenshots up to 5120x2880 and those were probably not hitting 60 FPS so the scaling would have reduced the res if it was active. :)

Darren Hodgson likes this.