Monolith's Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Different setups yield different results.
    Even with the same game, same settings... you'll get different memory usage on each machine.

W_D is not as resource hungry as some make it out to be. It's badly coded, and poorly optimized... yes.
    But, it does not need 4gb of vram to run.
    Same as Wolf:TNO doesn't need it either, even though it can and will (for some) use over 3gb.

Same with Crysis 3. FarCry 3... BioShock: Infinite. And tons upon tons of other games.

2. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
  3. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Preload is available for Shadow of Mordor on Steam!

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I can confirm that Watch_Dogs on Ultra maxed settings with Temporal SMAA at 1920x1200 uses 3.2 GB of VRAM on my GTX 980 and with TXAAx4, which is what I prefer, it uses 3.7-3.8 GB!!! This is the unmodded version by the way.

5. Slikar

Slikar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    6GB VRAM is probably needed if you use SuperSampling with rest on Ultra. My guess is that it is going slightly above 4GB , say 4.7-5.0 GB or so... And they couldn't say you need 5GB card as no such thing exists at all , its ridiculous to be otherwise as high vs ultra would be 3GB difference and those Ultra textures would probably need to look hyper realistic to justify the hit.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Guys..It says it clearly enough..''The following is recommended assuming a 1080P rendering resolution".

And it goes:

Ultra = 6GB
    High = 3GB
    Medium = 2GB
    Low = 1GB

So from what they say, you need 6GB Of Vram in order to enjoy Ultra textures at 1080P(monitor resolution).

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, really upset here. I'll get this on ps4 which has all the unified memory goodness.

/sarcasm

For those who think this will be unplayable on ultra settings on 4gb cards, think again.

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I guess we'll find out in 2 days.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Why all this drama about this game? its nothing special anyway :p

10. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I really like the game from what i've seen so far but it will be ridiculous if a new shiny GTX980/970 won't be able to max this game because of Vram.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    4gb barrier @1080 will be broken at very latest Feb 2015.
    or perhaps in two days whatever bring on the 8gb cards already.

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, because what a game/publisher says about it's hardware requirements is always completely accurate and right. ;)

Come on, people that already have the game (advanced review copies and such) are commenting that on High the game doesn't even hit 3GB unless you are using supersampling.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Dude..It's not so simple to throw all those GTX780/R9 290/GTX980/970 to garbage because of Vram.

Look at the new game called ''The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter'', it looks beautiful, it's an open world game and it only consumes 1.3GB of Vram at max settings(1080P plus 2xMSAA).So i take all these new requirements(The Evil Within and this) as funny statements.

If Shadow of Mordor really wants a 6GB card for ultra textures, then i am expecting to see the best textures i've ever seen but i really doubt it.

14. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    It's still insanely bloated. Tomb Raider and Hard Reset use about 1.5gb with 4SSAA.

15. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim RTX 3090
    Surprised at the high scores the game got.

I pre-ordered for my PS4, looking forward to this as i am a huge LOTR fan.

Finally a decent LOTR game, although not based around the movies, it still has the art direction from weta.

We even meet Gollum :D

16. Slikar

Slikar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    This!

Also as it's being said , there are games much more beautiful , objectively if i may, that are using far,far less memory. But nothing is impossible if they actually didn't gave **** about PC ver.

On top of that from what i saw , it looks pretty mediocre , combat is half-QTE infested and generally the game seems all over the damn place , all the fuss about how it's going to run seems kinda pointless if it turns out to be terrible as a game.

17. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    This may become a new standard with console's unified memory.

18. Slikar

Slikar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Yea , that's what i think as well. Seems like they don't care too much about properly porting to PC , what about sys ram, most games use only 2gb max. Or it's simply too hard and requires too much work so they shove it all into VRAM and call it done , i don't know. Let's just wait and see, ACU and FC4 are coming as well soon , those will be interesting to see and could possibly confirm that we're not wrong.

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    MP3 was quite intense on sys-req if you wanted a high resolution. I cant, without editing the .cfg file, use 1440p with my cards 1.5gb vram when trying to set it through the Options menu and when i do, the fps drops more than any other game does at that resolution, more so than the perf hit in Crysis 3.

20. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It´s not a bad port just because they authored the game with very hi-res textures, they could have kept the textures for themselves so gtx980 owners don´t get mad. Nvidia is the one to blame here for launching cards with insufficient buffers for these new multi-platform games, 4gb maxwell is a flop.