Monolith's Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    The way you wrote your post sounded like you're saying ps4 is 64bit and xbone is 32bit or vice versa and that PS3 is 32bit. I guess it's a misunderstanding mostly caused by the guy from last page of the thread claiming next-gens are 32bit only.

2. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Banned

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Game runs just fine at 4k without the ultra texture pack for me. Still downloading the HD textures.

3. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Anyone want to clarify this?

4. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Don't expect a lot of variety in side missions like in Assassin's Creed 2 or the Batman Arkham games.
    The game is structured similarly to Assassin's Creed 1, the main part is you mostly hunting orc captains and discovering the story behind events of the game and your wraith companion.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    More or less.

There is a large map, split into areas, in each area the land is littered with orcs, camps, ruins, etc.

In these areas are large towers where you climb them and once you reach the top it will reveal the area of the map your in. Showing you different things in each map such as hidden objects, artifacts, side missions, etc.

Sure its a killing orc fest, but fighting lends from the Arkham series and exploration lends from Assassins Creed series.

You have three main weapons, daggers for stealth kills, a bow for long distance, and a sword for standard melee combat.

The A.I is pretty bad, its pretty easy to kill almost any enemy that you face, but the A.I is adaptable to you.

You have to take out the orc army generals and captains. To reveal these captains you have to interrogate standard orcs to gain info on these "mini boss" orcs that are littered across the maps in strongholds or small camps. These captains can upgrade and level up on their own and new info is needed to properly tackle these enemies. The more intel you gain the better your chances will be on beating them.

What is also interesting is that if you battle a group of orcs and you kill a few but the rest flee. The ones that flee can then become stronger, they remember you. They themselves can then get promoted and kill existing captains and take their place. This is a great idea and works well here.

The main two issues of the game is:

1) The camer needs some work, it likes to spin behind walls and objects blocking your view. This happens quite a lot. I use a controller so can't speak for how welll mouse and keyboard works.

2) It is a fun game, but only because it lends far to heavily from already established games. It lends heavily from Batman Arkham and Assassins Creed. It borrows so much from these games it barely brings anything new to this type of game, and what ideas it does bring like adaptable A.I gets shadows by the fact that it feels like your playing a different game with a different lick of paint.

Overall, its a fun and solid game but borrows to much from other games. Its the same game we played before its just a different painting we are looking at.

6. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good to hear. Even if it is coded to use up to 6gb's (presumably the game engine thinking this is a console so VRAM equals console unified memory) at least it doesnt draw those extra chunks of data ruining everything..

Things like this really piss me off tho. If it weren't for this brand new 900 card i would have waited a year for this to go on sale with all of its inevitable crappy DLC and grabbed it for pennies... Oh well new gfx card- gotta make some sacrifices and put asside my disgust for Monolith and all the sleazy non pc optimizing developers out there. (for a short time until the new gpu excitement wears off :p)

7. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950

From the memory usage graph looks like it doesn´t use more vram just because it isn´t available. All this stuff won´t get clarified until some third party frame pacing tests are done.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    folks with 4gb have said they seen it pretty much all used. (some areas will be less vram heavy than others of course)
    i wonder if everyone has the pack installed correct.
    just a thought is all.

9. Johnny5srv

Johnny5srv Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia SLI gtx670 2GB
    So the res scaling option is kind of weak, in that there are nice gradual percentage increases up until 100% and then it jumps to 150%. I can run 100% just fine and still have some room to increase that but 150% is too much. Is there a way to set it at say 125%? I am on a 1440p monitor if that matters. Thanks.

10. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Thanks for the good info. I played Batman origins some, and I dont like that it takes so many beatings to take down a regular thug. It just makes it too damn repetitive. If that's how Mordor is , I'll probably pass.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    origins has terribly difficult bosses for sure, not pleasant at all for the most part, at least on difficult. i quit playin cause of that basically.

12. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Is not even the bosses. The regular thugs take a good beating. It gets real old fast.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That sounds it like runs identical to my system. I just finished playing for about 3 hours and its very fun, especially the combat.

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i bet this is to prepare us for 6gb witcher3, heard it here first folks remember that. hehe
    :p

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Really? The only semi-difficult boss in the entire game was Deathstroke imo.

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    did you play most difficult?

17. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What i've been reading is ... Short main story - 20 missions, and most of the gameplay is the open world / kill ranked orcs system. As for the gameplay - yeah it looks to me like 100% Assassins Creed climbing/parkour/bladestealth kills and Arkham combo style combat

18. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Yup.

It's not a difficult game, it just takes awhile to do a lot of things.

19. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    I got Batman origins/ACBF for free. Played Batman for a few hours and it is repetitive as hell. I didn't even bother installing black flag. PS. Windows 10 now? Wtf? Good to see the files of Win 7/XP bach. The blue and white plain jane theme in 8 sucked! For the love of god... stop with the numbering system. Call it Windows Cascade or something! Use a freaking naming system. Windows Longhorn anyone?

20. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    There is a hugh difference in textures in those comparisons, but not to the leverl of "HD texture pack".

It looks more like 512k textures vs 1k textures. I'm sure if you did a side by side with those HD texture pack screens and defauly fallout 3 that they would of similar quality/