Monolith's Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, terrible game.
    Since... we haven't had a chance to play it yet. Terrible.

But, all the fuss? Possibly because people are excited for it and like what they've seen. Just a thought.

2. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    No one said it's terrible , but it may end up just like that. And arguing even before anyone has tried it , is pointless for me. As from what i saw it doesn't look so interesting apart from it being set up in LOTR universe. It's basically the only thing that's keeping me a bit hyped. We also didn't saw those Super Mega Ultra 6GB textures yet, so can't tell for sure if the requirements are justified, but from what we saw , 3GB should be more than enough.

3. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    It IS enough. The game is using internal downsampling. Just like Battlefield 4. I think it also uses SSAA.

Now.. combine 4K rendering with SSAA and you fill up your vram quite quickly. Even without the SSAA.
    3-4GB will be fine for normal 1080p display with ultra settings.

4. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    That's what i was saying earlier, they must have been taking SSAA into account when talking 6GB VRAM , 4GB without SSAA must be enough or else they are nuts. I mean this is no next "Crysis 2007" by any means , or am i blind?

5. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Even 4gb with ssaa is complete unnoptimised B.S

There is not a single game in existence that you can make consume 6gb of vram even with ssaa and downsampling.

Even if this game literally had the best looking textures of any game ever it would still not justify a 400% increase in vram usage from other games that run 4SSAA.

There is only 3 games I know of that even use more than 3gb and they are Watchdogs, Dead Rising 3 and Wolfenstein.

Even though all of those games are notoriously unnoptimised given the visuals they use about 3.2gb max.

Even if the textures are 2 or 4 times as big that entire vram usage for each game is not just made up of textures so a doubling of vram usage is still inexplicable.

Even downsampling does not account for the increase because vram usage is only partially dictated by resolution.

6. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Thats not entirely true - when i had my 780 6gb Cards, i saw a vram consumption of roughly 4,5 gb in Watch dogs with ultra textures and 4 msaa at 1440p... BUT Watch dogs is really crap regarding optimization.

7. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme

2560x1440 is appprozimately double 1080p in number of pixels yet there is less than a 50% increase in vram usage from the game when run at 1080p. This is exactly what I'm talking about. You just stated that the most bloated and unnoptimised game to date uses 4.5gb at double 1080p.

For a game to use a further 1.5gb of vram at half your resolution there is something seriously wrong.

The vram usage for watch dogs with 4msaa at 1080p is about 3.2gb.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    who.gives.a.chit.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I do.

When pretty average (graphically) looking games start using absurd amounts of vram for looking no better than a game that came out 3-5 years ago, there's something wrong.

Im not not bashing it as a game and what it may offer fans of the lotr series, just seems strange that we've, in the space of what?..not 2 years, vram requirements for vanilla unmodded games on the pc, have gone from 1-2gb, to 4-gb to 6gb for next to no real jump in visual quality and at 1080p -144p only. Going by Developers sys-req postings. Though, alot so far have been proven to be bullocks (COD Ghosts, to name one).

10. lantian

lantian Guest

agreed used to be we had improvements in visual fidelity with system requirements rise, but this year its different we need more vram for lower quality visuals wtf, there simply isn't any excuse for using more than 2-3gb on 1080p game

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    2 more days. Can't wait.:banana:

12. glitch203

glitch203 Guest

GPU:
    msi hd 6770 1go
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As everyone expected after the ''6GB requirement''.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes... lets blindly take IGN's word for it. They've always been completely trustworthy. ;)

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    IGN..9.5/10 for every new Call Of Duty..

17. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Explains why i havent bought a single one since Modern Warfare :nerd:

I don't even understand how this game even got enough hype to warant its own thread here in the first place - as in b4 the 6GB fail drama. VRAM size drama is like.. specialty for a couple of recent regulars here.

18. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Not true. I can run MP3 max settings at 4k with no issue. Not the same with crysis 3.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Possibly because the game looks like fun for a lot of people. There are a lot that have been wanting a solid game set in the LotR universe.
    And this one looks to make great usage of it. A solid marriage of Assassin's Creed traversal and Batman's combat system.

Also, it's Monolith Productions. They've got a very solid name for a lot of people.

Yeah, MP3 was actually not nearly as resource heavy as you'd think by how it looked. Gorgeous game, but wonderfully optimized.

20. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090