Monitors-DVI vs VGA

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jcarlin123, Jan 14, 2007.

1. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7900gs 256mb @650/1900
    Hey all. i was just pondering some thoughts in the lead up to my new video card and mobo. I was thinking about monitors and i was wondering if it is possible for a generic brand monitor to hamper performance. I was also wondering if DVI monitors are worth the difference in cost. Apparently they provide better clarity, but is this the case? Do some monitors display colours better than others?

Please, if you have any comments to offer post a reply. Regardless of whether it is right or wrong - it might bring up some strange myths.

Thanks ;)

2. slicksickwilly

slicksickwilly Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    I have a brand new Samsung 204b 20.1" LCD and i have used it both analog and DVI.. I cant really see any diff and if there is its very minimal..

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    DVI better than VGA due to the fact that the signal in your GPU starts digital and not analog , so the monitor will display a true digital image , better clarity , better image , better colors. As i have a Samsung 225bw 22 inches widescreen LCD i did try both DVI and VGA and yes theres a difference in quality. Yes name brand monitors are better made , so the quality of the colors will be beter than the generic ones.
    Good Day.

4. Salem13

Salem13 Guest

I have a 22" widescreen and sofar I've noticed a little window in the upper right pop up and say "digital" ... other than that I havent noticed much. ;)

5. anttheplayer

anttheplayer Active Member

GPU:
    8800GTX / 2407wfp
    heh apparntly colours are slightly better in VGA. But i much prefer DVI much crisper/brighter.

VGA can only do max res of 1600x1200 i think or around there.

DVI is WQXGA+ i use WUXGA. If i use VGA on my screen it goes alittle
    pixelated at full res.

This is using my 24" dell lcd.

6. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks guys. So the difference is not huge and at a max res of 1280x1024 i wouldn't notice a $150-$200 difference? Alright. Thanks for the replies ;)

7. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    I've got a $200 19" LCD using the DVI, and it has a great picture, it's a Sceptre, not a brand people talk about, but it's very good.

8. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    DVI is much crisper at the native resolution on my Samsung LCD than the VGA.

9. rainyjewels

rainyjewels New Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX SLI
    I have tried both VGA and DVI and honestly, I cannot tell much of a difference between the two. A generic-brand monitor will not hamper performance, as long as the response time is low enough. However, you may want to check if there are reviews available for the generic-brand monitor you're planning to purchase, just to make sure. :grab:

10. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    right-o. yeah, i guess it depends whether or not the extra crispness that DVI monitors provide is noticeable in games. AA and AF would also contribute. hmmm.

11. Deadman93723

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    Biggest thing to worry about is the response time anything 12ms or less is what you want, refresh rate is also a thing to consider, because if you use vsync you will be limited in FPS by your highest refresh rate.

12. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    One but thing that lead me to dvi is that is allows for less ghosting compared to vga. Yet alone it does have brighter and more vibrant colors.

13. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    I just had a look on umart. The price has come down heaps since i bought my Benq FP71G+ (VGA). The 19" DVI is now only $55 more. In saying that the 17" does the job for the time being ;)

14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    i have a sony sdm hs95/p and a samsung syncmaster 940bw and i cant tell the difference between either when running vga or dvi...thus i prefer vga because the max refresh is 75 as opposed to dvi's 60

15. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    So do all DVI monitors have a max refresh rate of 60Hz? If so, then that is one performance capper if vsync is enabled.

16. Deadman93723

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    No, mine has a refresh rate of 75hz on the DVI connector.

17. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    most do but not all

18. [Admiral]

[Admiral] New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 256MB XXX Ed. 610/810
    i just got a LG L204WT 20.1" WS LCD and the difference between VGA and DVI is indeed small, but is also noticable.. it MAY be a bit of a placebo effect but i swear there are tiny details that had never noticed before.. hard to tell. i havnt set my display to clone and plugged both outputs into the monitor to do back and forth coparisons..

but yeah, mine has 75hz refresh rate.. doesnt matter too much.. i dont use vsync in any of my games anymore.. used to on my CRT but for some reason i dont notice nearly as much tearing as i used to on this LCD.
    but yeah, i'd definetly recomend going with a LG/Samsung/BRANDNAME monitor over a no-name (metro) brand.. unless you can find a lot of really good reviews for that particular model or something.

19. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    Good to hear that some DVI monitors can operate at 75Hz. It really seems as though the difference is minor but still noticeable. Is it the same with LCD or plasma TV's?

20. Meroth

Meroth Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GT
    I don't think that playing at 60 fps or 75 fps sould be a thing to consider when buying a monitor. There is no person on earth who could tell the difference.

Someone said that colors are better in VGA. In fact that is only true if you like to play with settings, edit the color profiles (which by the way you can do using a software too). Digital monitors have all things fixed, which can also be considered as a plus, you don't have to fiddle with geometry or other settings (size, position, colors, etc.), these settings are always perfect.