Monitor Size and FPS gaming

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Size_Mick, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I sit maybe 2 1/2 feet from my monitor. It's a 21.5 inch screen and honestly, it feels a little large. Yet I see gaming monitors now starting at 23 inch, and 27 inch seems to be the most popular size. So my question is, for folks who own these, especially the QHD and 4K jobs, does it make a difference in your gaming, having such a large monitor, and how far away from it are you? Also for the QHD/4K owners: which is more important to you, pixel density or screen size?

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    27" 1440p here. For me, the right size/resolution. Eventually will probably move to something like a 32" 4k or something like that, but not until I can game at over 100fps at 4k. No rush.

22" monitor is tiny, you'd love a bigger monitor. with a 1070, a 24" 1080p would be good, if you upgraded your gpu, a 27" 1440p monitor even better.

And what is more important out of those two? Pixel density, by far. I couldn't use a 27" 1080p monitor. I did once and swiftly moved to 27" 1440p due to large pixels.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There is something for everyone. And taste and preferences differ a LOT.
    I have a 24" 1080p monitor, I am just accostumed to it, even than in some moments I can clearly see the pixels - not so great pixel density.
    Tried a 27 " @2K resolution and things were completely different.
    Yeah, but requires a bit more GPU power to drive.
    And more screen estate, more things at sight and supposedly more productivity

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    1440p 144hz 32 inch monitor here, sweet spot for me.

5. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I went from a 23" to a 27". I play maybe 2.5-3' away from it. I also use it for watching movies as the main monitor in the living room, but this is as big as I would go. The main difference in gaming for me was an upgrade to 165Hz with G-Sync @1440p though.

6. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    I think it makes a huge difference in gaming but it really depends on what is important to you. I am all about immersion so a big curved ultrawide was an easy choice. My last monitor was a 34" UW running 2560x1080 and jumping up to 35" 3440x1440 was a pretty significant upgrade. I do love pixel density but I care about screen size first and then pixel density. If you can afford both, its a no brainer ;). I dont know exactly how far away my monitor is but if I reach my arm out straight in front of me, I am within an inch of my finger tips touching the screen so maybe 2ft.

Undying likes this.
  7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I had been on 17" my whole life before going with 24" with my previous monitor, and 27" with my current, sitting 2 feet/60cm from my screen.

What i appreciate the most is that it opens up possibilities, you can organize your screen in parts (split it in 2 or what not) and have the benefit of a multi monitor setup on a single one.

Watch cat video on right part while checking mails on left part, or for coding - put code left and right.

Sidenote: i just realized today ( after owning this monitor for 2 years+) that my monitor can run beyond 60HZ, testing 76Hz right now.

8. Loster

Loster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 2080TI
    Being on 150" 4k Projector @3860x2160P 60Hz for almost two years now. So much easier to the eyes imho. About 7,5 feets away. Best decition i´ve ever made.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    40" 4k TV at about 24-30" away. I've always been of the belief that bigger = better, more immersion.

10. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Just upgraded to 27” ISP 1440p 144Hz G-Sync. Will never go back to 1080p. I sit 2-3 feet away.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Currently using a 32" 4K @ 4 feet away.

12. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    32" QHD - sitting about 18" from the panel to my nose. I usually plan in a dark rook with headphones, so there's no distraction from the experience. Playing games is immersive and I love it. The only problem is the black levels aren't as deep as I would like.

Because I like to sit close, I would need a curved monitor, if I were going to go any bigger. More likely, I'll switch to a 75" TV when the good ones get cheap enough, and rework my office with a small couch, ottoman, media stand, etc.

13. Andywick

Andywick New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1650 4bg
    There is no rocket science in selecting the best size for a gaming monitor. Just make sure you don’t get anything that over-sharpen the display or burst out the pixels. Here you can read about monitor size https://x2.games/best-monitor-size-for-gaming/