1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Masterblaster79, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Masterblaster79

Masterblaster79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    So I'm in the market for a new monitor and was wondering what some of the Gurus would recommend. I'm looking to keep it in the $300 range and trying to find one with the following features.

120hz (possibly 3d, but not necessary)
    2ms response time
    color ratio around 50,000:1 or better

Now I've found a few on newegg that match all that, but basically I'm asking because I don't want to be surprised by something bad if I get one. For example, I've seen where some people have had a loud buzzing noise while in 120hz mode on some of the Asus brands. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Aren't 120Hz monitors specifically for 3D use? like any 3d glasses, the shutter glasses alternate between being clear and shut in sync with the monitors refresh. Even though the monitor is 120Hz effectively when using 3D they are only 60Hz. When not using 3D, not sure what they do...

Anyways, one issue with 3D glasses is eye strain, it won't really become properly mainstream until the glasses-less technology improves (yes, glasses-less tech does exist!)

3. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    120hz 3D monitors are just 120 FPS input and 120 FPS output. 1:1.

If you use glasses, and a 3D stereo driver, you can set-up the glasses to alternate left and right eye views - which the monitor will happily display at 120hz (60hz per eye).
    The trick is in the glasses and synchronization, the monitor is 'dumb'.

The fact that it's left and right eye points is because that happens to be what the computer is generating. The monitor doesn't care.
    It's just a normal monitor, that happens to go up to 120hz.
    You can set your desktop to 120hz refresh and enjoy 120fps, and never run a single 3D application.

You can do sequential 3D on any display (old CRTs work well), combined with 3D shutter glasses.
    nvidia happens to put an arbitrary 100hz lower cap on what it will allow you to use for sequential 3D.

(I played system shock 2 in 3D, on a CRT, using shutter glasses and 110hz, "back in the day")

Non-sequential 3D systems, however, they do have limitations.
    Usually they expect special image layouts, and do not accept 120hz input.

Eg. "Left and Right eye views stitched into one super wide or super tall image". The monitor splits that oversized image in half, extracting left and right images, and will alternate showing you one half for each eye, until it gets another double-sized image, and then it updates what it is alternating.

These displays will usually not do 120hz desktop, but it's not because they 'technically' can't, it's because the firmware is designed to use a different 3D interface, and no one considered that a user might want to input 120hz sequential images into the monitor for 120hz sequential display. So simply that refresh rate will not be available to select.

vg236HE is a good monitor.
    For good looking images, try : Contrast=50, Brightness=15, Splendid=Game
    ("Game" actually shows a lot of gray tones, least wash-out)
    Note : It's made for use with shutter glasses (which dim the image), so it's silly over-bright, so 15 brightness is still a LOT brighter than for example a syncmaster 225bw on 40% bright.

S27A950 can do 120hz via DVI, and has 100% RGB color, and is glossy (avoids black-ambient-wash-out), in case you need to do design work.
    (Note that the T27A950 and S27A750 variants do not have DVI, and do not do 120hz desktop via HDMI)

-scheherazade

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011