Monitor recommendation (500-600$)

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by lostzilla, Aug 9, 2019.

1. lostzilla

lostzilla Guest

GPU:
    ATI 9600
    Hi. I have a Dell 1050p monitor for about 9 years and i already have to retire it. It has black spots, backlight bleeding everywhere and i have some dead pixels.

My idea is to update my PC (i5 2500k, 16GB DDR3, GTX970 ...) from here to a couple of years, I'm no hurry about it. But monitor is already an emergency and i want to start there. I have between 500 and 600 $ to invest on it.

2K or 4K? Will a 2K fall short for a future graphic card update? Monitor is for a general use. I don't need a gaming one, because i play very little and huge Hz doesn't matter to me. I want it to be general purpose, with special emphasis on colors, because i edit photos and use a lot of photoshop. I always prioritize panel quality (i think IPS still the best , right?) to anything else.

In short, i'm looking for an all-purpose monitor to play games (in a casual way, without HDR or 120Hz), which displays a really good colors (for viewing and editing photos and videos) and a 27'' maximum (i visualize it about 90 cm distance approx.). 16: 9, nothing extra-panoramic, curved or things like that. To use a lot of web browser.

I trust Dell a lot, but i'm open to any brand, if it's worth it. I want something really good that lasts me another 9 years. Something that reaches that top of 600$ and give the greatest possible benefits for image, video and game.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Your emphasis seems to be photo editing, so you want color capacity. Look for true 10bit monitors. VA may be better than IPS for you since VA offers darker blacks. You could also look into OLED panels. The panel I have is a 8+2bit SDR, and does 1 Billion colors.

At 27" look into 1440p models. 4k panels would require to scale the icons and text larger. (I use a 28" 4K panel @ 125% scaling) An ultrawide 1440p would be useful for editing, as you get a lot more desktop real estate.

4K panels are great for editing too, as they are 4x area vs 1080p. But I recommend getting 32" or better.

Get one with Freesync, preferably FreeSync 2. If you go Pascal or Turing, it'll support GSync as well, and you can enjoy your gaming. It's also cheaper vs dedicated GSync. If you go AMD, then that's a non-issue, since they support FreeSync normally.

3. lostzilla

lostzilla Guest

GPU:
    ATI 9600
    Thanks for your detailed information ;)

According what you say, the best choice for me would be a 2k monitor sRGB 100% 10 bit, right?

This is my initial list to work. What do you think?

ASUS Designo MX27UC 27" 4K
    BenQ BL2711U or PD2700U 27" 4K
    Dell U2719D 27" 2K
    NEC MultiSync EA271Q 27" 2K
    LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K
    Viewsonic VP2768-4K 27" 4K

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  7. lostzilla

lostzilla Guest

GPU:
    ATI 9600
    @Chastity @Caesar

Thank you for the recommendations.
    I have taken a sharp turn in my preferences and now i'm looking for advanced 1000$ monitors.

BenQ SW271 or NEC MultiSync PA271Q is my dilemma now. The first is 4k andHDR and the second is 2K without so many features but with unbeatable colors.
    It's really such a bad idea a 4K in 27"? Do It looks all so small?

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I have a 28" 4K, and I need to use scaling to enlarge things, defaults to 150%, I use 125%. So yeah, it'll be small. Thus why I said get a 32"+ if interested in 4K

Undying likes this.
  9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

For editing and Photoshop or where colour accuracy is important probably I would have look on monitors with high Adobe RGB %

Eizo or Benq and some Dell monitors are best in this regard or with these features,something like is BenQ SW2700PT or Dell UP2516D(I have used this monitor in our company previously and its not bad monitor just IPS bleed can be issue)

Other than that get Spyder or something similar for monitor calibration, I highly recommend this

But like with everything its down to personal preference and what you want from monitor

Personally I would go with Eizo or BenQ monitors, some Dell can offer similar features

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. Hodadrick

Hodadrick Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB