1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Question: Samsung vs LG, Green vs Normal, 23'' vs 21.5''

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sniperbr0, Oct 5, 2009.

1. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    hello all :eek:)

i need urgently to buy a LCD monitor and leave my good ol' CRT behind

i would love a big monitor, but the thing is, a 21.5'' and a 23'' monitor have the same resolution, so the 23'' will display alot more aliasing in games, but the price is about the same, so the thing i have to decide is if a bigger monitor with the same resolution as a small one is better or not

im very interested in a samsung one, i downloaded LG's and Samsung's manuals so i can look at specs and the OSD, and the samsung's blows LG's off the table, LG's manuals are written in bad english, but samsung's monitors are green, the "ecofit" line, they have less brightness (250 compared to 300 on regular ones, which i dont know if it really makes a difference) but consume less energy, and i think the build material isnt as good as a not ecofit one, but i really wont mind not having a green monitor, i use a 19'' CRT which consumes the double energy a regular LCD would consume.

based on the above, i cant decide on which of these:

samsung:
    P2250 - 21.5'', regular
    P2270 - 21.5'', green
    P2370 - 23'', green

LG:
    W2353V - 23'', regular

samsung ones have many features like response time optimizer (dont remember the correct name, its something like that), magicbright, auto and wide functions, etc. LG ones dont have many of these features and the ones they have they dont even explain in the manual, here's a quote:

"Response Time Control (RTC): If set to ON, you enable it
    If set to OFF, you disenable it"

lol wtf what is RTC and what does it do?! disenable lol

prices are all about the same, 50 bucks max difference...

so what would you suggest me buy?

thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I was looking at a batch of P2xxx series before I left the online store I used to work at, I like 'em, and would love one for myself if I didn't already bought an LCD monitor a year before these came out.

deltatux

3. Russell

Russell Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 280
    I bought a P2250 last week and I cant fault it so far seems good in Normal and Gaming use.

Can't help with the other models but the P2250 gets my vote.

4. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    I need a good reason to choose the 21.5'' over the 23'' and vice-versa, if the 21.5'' is the chosen size, then i will get the P2250 without thinking twice

5. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Can't go wrong with a Samsung, they look great. I'm getting mixed info on P2370 - 23'', & W2353V - 23''. Some sites show the P2370 refresh rate @ 60 hz & others show 75 Hz. Same with the W2353V. If the Samsung P2370 is 75 Hz I'd go with it.

6. Russell

Russell Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 280
    The samsung are 60Hz @ 1920x1080 not sure about the LG.

In theory the smaller screen has a finer pixel pitch and so should give a slightly better image quality. However I imagine that in reality the size difference is not large enough for it to be noticeable.

I always prefer to see a tv or monitor image quality for myself before i buy it as I find that picture quality & colour reproduction can be more doqn to personal preference than anything else.

7. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    and what do you guys think about the green line "ecofit", do you think the image quality loss is noticeable by having less brightness or is it just the same?