Monitor lost signal since PC dust clean

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jonathen85, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    Hello

Well I noticed recently that there seemed to be a lot of dust on the grating of my case. I powered off, opened it up and spent some time cleaning the build up with tissues.

I removed the RAM and the fans that are attached to my CPU cooller and carefully wiped everything with the tissues, including the sound card and graphics card etc.

I thought I was careful but when I powered on again but my monitor wasn't switching on. I checked the connections and made sure my graphics card was seated properly - everything seemed fine.

Has anyone got some ideas as to what I did? I'm worried that my cpu might have moved out of place, although I was careful when cleaning around the cooller. I've got a lot of stuff that hasn't been backed up which I'm worried about losing :(

2. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    did you accidently disconnect the cpu fan from the motherboard? its a little 3 or 4 pin connector that usually goes to the top of the motherboard, from the cpu fan.

if the bios detects no fan connected it probably wont boot.

otherwise check all other wires to see if they are loose, sounds like a power cable, possibly the 4pin atx12v power cable. or the graphics cards 6-8pin pci connectors.

well could be any number of things aswell, ram not installed back in properly, did you place the graphics card back in the top pci-e slot?

3. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    double check all connections. I hate dusting pcs always messes it up.

4. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Tissues = Static.

When you turn your machine on do all your fans / HDD's spin up?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh dear....that doesn't sound good.

It's prob your graphics card dude...

don't feel too bad, I've done the same thing by lightly brushing a PCB...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    yikes! Ye, using tissues is probably the worst idea ever, it leaves a crap ton of dust and can cause static short circuiting.

deltatux

7. Hemectu

Hemectu Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX465 SC -> 470 SC
    Compressed air is your friend! Even blowing on it is better than tissues :(

I would unplug your system from the wall and let it sit for a while (10 min or so) and re-seat your cards, check to make sure no tissue has been lodged in the PCI-e slot. Plug everything back in and power back up, see where you end up.