Monitor loses brightness and contrast

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MadelineX, Aug 29, 2010.

1. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Strange... I switched for CF to a single card for a moment and then switch back. My monitor lost contrast and brightness. I tried switching modes again, resetting the monitor, checking windows color mng. profiles, checking ati color profiles. No go.

I performed a clean install of the drivers. When I uninstalled the ati driver the brightness and contrast returned. When I re-installed and rebooted it was gone.

I can't figure this one out...

2. Pav4o

Pav4o Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970@1025MHz
    Same issue here. I have two monitors: (1) Syncmaster T260HD @1920x1200 connected through HDMI; (2) ASUS VW221D @1650x1080 connected through VGA (no other port is available on this budget monitor).
    Several days ago I switched off CF in the Catalyst CC. When I switched it back on, the ASUS monitor was blurred and dimmed.
    I experimented with the CCC options and found out the following temporary cure: go to CCC --> Desktops and Displays. In the lower left corner (not in the main window!) click the arrow on the ASUS monitor, go to configure --> adjustments. There simply click on one of the direction arrows for changing the screen position. The monitor goes blank for a second and then restores its settings.
    As I said, unfortunately, this is a temporary solution. When the computer wakes from sleep, the monitor is again out of contrast, so I have to repeat the above described CCC procedure.
    It seems that for no apparent reason CCC fails to save its settings. I noticed also the that CCC would not save my video preset settings, which I usually set on vivid. Upon resume, CCC would revert to Use application settings.
    I have reinstalled the driver (at that time, the official Catalyst 10.7) but to no avail. Nothing changed with 10.8 either.
    So, I think, this is another entry in the long list of Catalyst bugs ;)

3. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    WOW! Thank you!

How did you find that secret menu panel.

It turns out (for reasons unknown) when I swap CF off or on the contrast in that section turns to 0.

That's really odd how the visible desktop color menu doesn't seem to apply to the issue, but the hard to find menu causes the issue.

Thank you again! I would have never figured this out.

4. Pav4o

Pav4o Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970@1025MHz
    Well, I found it by clicking on every possible option. I do not know why they should have different menus in the main window and in the secondary one, while everyone would assume that in both cases one and the same menu would open.
    Anyway, I'm glad to have helped you :)

5. spyre

spyre Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6990 and 6970 TF
    Its not secret, and its been in the CCC help file since the CCC was updated to use the new layout.

6. rgbc

rgbc New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
    I had this problem with 10.7 as well, although with a single card multiple monitor setup, was making me crazy while I was troubleshooting it, issue is fixed in 10.8 for me.

rflair's 8.761 driver also works properly, although 8.761 and 10.8 both have an overscan after reboot issue talked about below. I don't reboot very often though so I can live with resetting the overscan (leave CCC set to the overscan page of your hdtv, load CCC and hit okay to fix) once in a while.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327811

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  7. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    This happened to me when I installed 10.8 and switched from crossfire to single card mode. When I uninstall the drivers the brightness is back to where it should be, but now no matter which driver version I install the display dims when I boot up with drivers installed. Changing the options in the CCC doesn't get the screen back to how it should look. So frustrating but I think I'm going to need to reformat my machine to resolve this...

8. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Just to update, I bit the bullet and reformatted. Fixed the issue and now running a fresh install of 10.8 with 10.8a profiles and everything is running very well. It's not exactly a solution but hey, it was worth it for me.

9. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    I just had this happen to me for the first time this morning, upon exiting mafia 2 caused it. had to log off then back on to fix it.

10. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    That is actually a different issue specific to Mafia 2 I believe, but yes, logging off and back on fixes that.

11. w3d

w3d Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 1GB + 9800GT Physx
    I have this also, using 10.8 drivers.

12. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    I found this fix to this in another thread, just right click on the mafia 2 icon, go properties and select the compatibility tab and check the box that says something about "disable desktop composition" this worked for me :)

13. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    I second that. It fixes this problem in Mafia 2.

14. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Something can help, if you use a monitor with a driver, just reinstall the driver of the monitor. Or try check the Win7 colors, monitors tab profile, Win7 include the possibility now to easy play with multi monitor setup, resolution and ofc modified profile for monitors, HDTV.. ( 2 tabs are available, the display one, propriety, + colors )

It's happend when you install a new card or a second card, there is a conflict between the win7 profiles/driver and the CCC profile.

For MafiaII, yes it's a different issue, it keep the gama level of the game after exit .... ( nice find this fix )

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  15. gniac

gniac New Member

GPU:
    ati 5850 crossfirex
    it hapened to me to i ended up disconnecting the monitor and connecting it to the other dvi output of the card and it work hope it help...

16. Pav4o

Pav4o Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970@1025MHz
    gniac, thank you for the hint :) I connected my secondary monitor (which was problematic) to the lower DVI port of the videocard, and the problem has (so far) gone. Hope that solves the problem for the others too.

17. gniac

gniac New Member

GPU:
    ati 5850 crossfirex
    youre welcome. if anybody have an explanation i m all ears!!!

18. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    thanks gniac man ..easy enough first aid solution :)