Monitor Help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NetX, Nov 6, 2009.

1. NetX

NetX Member

GPU:
    MSI R4890 , 1gb ddr5
    Looking for a new Monitor for my system dunno what to get! well I have a pretty good Idea but not sure if they are worth it.

I was first thinking to buy
    http://www.sears.ca/product/samsung-26-lcd-720p-hdtv-ln26b360/571413268

but someone told me TV's don't make good computer screens and that I should stick with a Computer Monitor. So I was looking at computer monitors and I found these. But I am not sure where LG stands in the monitor market. and I dunno if I should go TV or Computer Monitor.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...d=0926INGFS10119037&catid=26176&test_cookie=1

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10119038&catid=25616&logon=&langid=EN

So please give me some input and suggestions if you have any. :)

Thank you

2. Thunderball

Thunderball Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870+Twinturbo Pro
  3. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    well.. unless your gonna go for highend quality.. which btw cost quite a bit :p then LG is great

LG uses the same good tn panels that the others use.. put it what i consider to be decently looking cases :) at a very competetive price.

I own the BW226 myself.. gamed on it for a while and aint found any fault with it yet..

I usually play.. WoW, Eve online, borderlands, CoD.. bit CS .. seems to work for me.

Depending on your setup.. id recommend the 24".. because well.. same resolution.. smaller screen areal.. means smaller pixel / dot pitch and clearer image..

Or if you like to use the screen to kick the feet up and sit back in the chair 1-1½m away and watching a fullhd movie there.. the bigger screen is prolly better.

both looks like good screen on the paper.

If your looking for other alternatives the T220, T240 and T260 from samsung have always been good monitors aswell. 22" 24" and 26" respectively.

4. franpa

franpa Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyt 760 4GB WForce x3
    I bought a Samsung P2350 for $306 AUD and have no complaints other then all the presets being bright enough to permanently blind someone. Motion, colours, contrast etc. are great.

Do not worry about if a screen has HDMI or not, HDMI is only needed if the screen has built-in speakers/amplifier. DVI (with HDCP) is plenty for full HD video.

edit: I mean HDCP.

TN panel are bottom of the range and are the cheapest, for excellent quality you would be looking at the 400 - 500$ range of IPS panels, 5ms response time is still blazing fast compared to the 2ms that TN panels can do.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009

5. NetX

NetX Member

GPU:
    MSI R4890 , 1gb ddr5
    Sorry for the late reply been really busy, Thank you for the input and suggestions. I went to BestBuy to check out all the monitors. From all of them LG was the best for me I think. The look and Price.

But I still not sure if I should go TV or Monitor. :(

6. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    make sure you read this before you buy an LG monitor. i got my L246WP-BN which is still one of the best today imo,although its no longer made. it crapped out on me after 2 yrs.
    LG rma policy is to provide a REFURBISHED monitor to any screen that comes in under an rma. this means that if you spend $500 on a huge new LG monitor and it craps out on you in 4 months.....guess what. you get a refurb, not a new one. im so pissed at LG right now its unbeleivable. i will never buy another LG product based soley on their ridiculous customer service policy. just something to take into consideration.

7. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    find yourself a fujitsu-siemens!
    19" to 22" is enough for now. i am not just trying to be cheapt or anything, but it's a very respecatble company.

8. NetX

NetX Member

GPU:
    MSI R4890 , 1gb ddr5
    I think I am going to wait till boxing day to get a new monitor hopefully a samsung.

Thank you everyone's input.

9. NetX

NetX Member

GPU:
    MSI R4890 , 1gb ddr5
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  10. NetX

NetX Member

GPU:
    MSI R4890 , 1gb ddr5
    damn computer lagged and douple post