Monitor going blank under load

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Boban70, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Boban70

Boban70 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    While playing any of these games, Battlefield 1, BFV, Battlefront 2, my new monitor goes blank randomly for about 2-3 seconds during game play. It can be 30 seonds to 5 minutes between incidents. I do not know if it is my card, or my monitor.

This never happened before I put in a new monitor. The prior monitor is actually a TV, a Samsung T200HD. It's resolution was not full HD.

Unfortunately, I introduced too many changes at once. I purchased a new monitor, a freesync capable one, Acer Nitro VG240Y Pbiip and I updated my Radeon Drivers. I do not recall exactly what version I was on prior, but I'm now running 19.12.2. I installed the monitor drivers from Acer's website. The monitor is set for 144MHz in the windows display settings. Radeon has freesync turned on. I put the monitor into G1 Action mode and is displays the constantly changing refresh rates durring game play. I've tried different HDMI cables, including the one provided by Acer.

I uninstalled and re-installed my drivers, using both the AMD Cleanup Utility and this site's Display Driver Uninstaller while booted into safe mode. The problem remains.

I've run your FurMark. IIRC, I get somewhere over 70FPS at somewhere over 70 C.

Ideas?

Thanks.

i7 3770K, 16GB Ram, RX 480 4GB, Win7 (fully patched).

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Try 19.12.1 due to Adrenaline 2020 which is 19.12.2 to 20.1.3 having a regression in it's behavior that affects Vega, Fury and Polaris GPU's too.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-12-1

That's what I would start with.
    20.1.3 or the third driver January 2020 is this but I'd try the earlier non-Adrenaline 2020 drivers first and then if that works it'll confirm a driver/software side issue. :) - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-3

EDIT: As to cables the bundled ones aren't the best but as long as certification exists it should be less of a problem so all you need is a 2.0 HDMI cable for the bandwidth to drive the display without compromising on the sampling.
    (4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4 for example if pushing above the limits of HDMI 2.0 bandwidth availability.)

Above 120Hz might also run the GPU a bit harder in terms of at least memory clock speeds.

EDIT: Or cable length I suppose though 1.5 - 2 meters should be doable.

Could always go into AMD's settings and see about using a lower refresh rate to try with but then we're talking about high load not idle or always so it sounds like the driver issue and perhaps a bit more aggravated now that the card is pushed a bit higher since it has to work harder for the higher refresh rate. :)

3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Could also try to just disable freesync and disable enhanced sync if that helps, enhanced sync if enabled can be buggy and freesync well welcome to the Adrenaline 2020 drivers again you probably want to remove those at this point because we're compromising on useful features here for a bunch of fixes mainly on newer GPU's and a whole lot of remaining issues and problems.

Something to test but yeah might actually wanna retain useful features without having to disable them for a few months waiting for the software situation to be less problematic. :)

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Battlefield or the Frostbite engine is also quite a stability tester for Adrenaline 2020 being very prone to stability issues (This driver is amazing isn't it at this point.) though if you can get it stable at least you know the system can take just about anything or at least the GPU. :D

But yeah with that out either wipe the Adrenaline 2020 drivers and try 19.12.1 first or the latest overall drivers released but since there are still known issues to be fixed you might want to try the earlier drivers first before trying to tinker with features and having to disable support for things because the drivers need work.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Get a high speed HDMI cable....../ or use Display port.

Get DDU claean install also

6. Boban70

Boban70 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    OK, thanks.

I found two other HDMI cables specifically labled High Speed , both new, both with Ethernet. One of which is a monoprice cable. same results using either cable.

I installed the 19.12.1 version, same results.

I configured my monitor in windows to be 120Mhz, the display overlay of the monitor confirms that is the peak, while browsing, not game play. However, in gameplay it fluctuates around 60-90.

Another problem I forgot. BF5, the colors are washed out, pale, dull. When I switch it to windowed mode, the colors are fine.

BTW, this install of Windows has only had an AMD graphics card installed, beside the built in intel. It has not had an nvidia chipset.

I found old downloads of some AMD drivers. In my AMD directory, it appears that I still have 18.9.3 and 17.2.1. I tried installing 18.9.3 a few days back, but it forced the 19.12.2 version.

I find that I have no displayport cables to try.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  8. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    1 - use DDU
    2- make sure temps are ok less then 80c - if so do some undervolt dont oc - put power targer at -5% etc
    3- repaste the card

9. Boban70

Boban70 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    I’ve been using ddu quite often since this issue showed up.

I’ve set the desktop drivers and BF1’s video settings to display at the same pixel resolution as the prior monitor. Problem remains.

I’ve tried a replacement monitor of the same model. Same results.

I’ve ordered the hdmi cable specifically referenced in this thread to try. I’ve also ordered a 48gbps hdmi cable.

I’ve just do not recall ever having strange issues like this with any other video card before.

10. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Instead of ordering a bunch of HDMI cables, I'd try a DisplayPort connection instead.
    This one is v1.4 VESA certified and relatively inexpensive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WF1RXVF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    As someone has suggested, if things still don't improve, try setting Voltage Swing to 1 and PreEmphasis to 2 in Global Display settings/Overrides.

11. DukeNuk

DukeNuk Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Nitro+ LE
    i have this issue for long time. first with R9 390 and now with Vega 56. i can say with 100% confidence it's driver issue yet not replicated and solved by AMD. i've done loads of reaserch and there is no solution. all i can confirm for sure, it's driver thing. it's randomly changing with each new version of driver, sometimes it happens more often sometime less. DDU, cables, power supply won't change anything. i have same issue in 2 different computers, used in different places ove past few years. only common thing is that it happen (for me at least) a lot more often i less demending games, when card goes on full load issue almost doesn't appear.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is VRM/Power stability related, just like when it happens on Nvidia parts.

13. Boban70

Boban70 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    Ok. I have HDMI and displayport 1.4 cable on the way.

This past weekend I also installed 18.9.3, issue remains. I tried turning down bfv to the same pixel resolution at the tv monitor I was using prior, same issue. I tried turning video quality to low, same issue. Video quality settings in both bf1 and bfv were previously set to auto.

It just seems odd I’ve never run into this previously, now it even shows up in bf1, although much less now that I’ve set the pixel resolution down.

I’m to receive the DP cable tonight.

14. DukeNuk

DukeNuk Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Nitro+ LE
    it happened to me on 2 different cards. another thing i just remembered, thisd problme does not exiust on linux. it's driver problem.

i'm afraid you wasted money.

15. Boban70

Boban70 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    I endured BFV for a few rounds (can't stand the multiplayer, a first for me among all the BF games) at full monitor resolution at 144Hz. No Problems. I played BF1 at full monitor resolution at 144Hz for 2 hours and had no problems. Only change today was a DP 1.4 cable. I hadn't yet gotten to point of changing voltages or underclocking it yet. Radeon 19.12.1 drivers.

I'm suspicious still, I'm not yet sold, I'll keep testing.

Thanks everyone.

JonasBeckman likes this.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Interesting, if it's holding that's good but it's weird unless the HDMI support on the 400 series Polaris is problematic or a specific hardware and software combination perhaps or just the display and the GPU's HDMI support in some way but hopefully it's resolved now. :)

EDIT: Well HDMI 2.0 specifically, thought the 400 series had support for this or even up to 2.0b at that.

And bandwidth issues wouldn't allow certain combinations exceeding the available either though as a digital on/off signal it should also occur regardless of situation not just when the card is under stress or at a higher load level such as gaming, oh well it's hopefully fixed now. :)

17. Boban70

Boban70 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    Thank you everyone who commented here trying to help.

OK, I have some results.

Using the HDMI cable recommended by tsumani as well as a monoprice 48Gbps HDMI cable had the same results, screen going blank/black. I had in the past even set the resolution to the same as the old monitor which I believe is 1600x900@60Hz. It made those settings both in Windows and in the game manually. Same issue in HDMI. I have probably tried at least 5 different HDMI cables.

Using a DP cable has not brought about the screen going black. Using the DP cable, I even set BF1 settings to Ultra at resolution 1920x1080@144Hz.

Even though with this gaming monitor I had the freesync FPS number display (overlay) enabled (top right side) as well and the center screen gun sights, when this blank condition happens, both the FPS and gun sights disappear, even though they are not being projected on the monitor by the display source, they are projected by the monitor. The exact same thing happens when I just disconnect any kind of video cable, even the gun sights go away. This has made me suspect the monitor.

So, I also picked up another one of these ACER VG240Y monitors, thinking I'd test and return the first. The same issues remain while using the second monitor, but only while using HDMI. No problems using DP.

Thoughts:

1. Maybe I always had an HDMI problem/limitation on my RX 480 card and I didn't know it.
    2. Maybe both of these monitors (now seemingly not on Microcenter's website unless using google to find it) have failures in their HDMI inputs/processing.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Another possibility is incorrect Freesync range. I had same issue when I extended default freesync range from 48~240Hz to 44~240Hz in experiment.
    (So, you can try to shrink it with CRU. Like form 36~144 => 40~144Hz.)

And then there is "HDMI Link Assurance". If it in ON, I would try turning it OFF.

Maddness likes this.
  19. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    it is normal for AMD gpu((( and as somenody said above 100% issued by driver. try to look at device manager after screen blanking. sure you will see your monitor as kind of non-plug and play monitor Had it on my 7850 all the time,espacially on newer drivers(on that moment)

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats possible. I have 40-75hz range and i wanted to go lower on the minimum but it resulted in black screen.