Monitor for development and movies: 4K or QHD, 27" or more?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by LFDDatGuru3D, Jan 12, 2020.

1. LFDDatGuru3D

LFDDatGuru3D Member

GPU:
    Sapp. Vapor-X HD5750 1G
    Hello guys,

I'm mostly developping programs and interfaces (kind of web development) and sometimes watching movies and I'd like to buy a new computer monitor. I've been reading a lot lately about that, and I'm still not quite sure about the specs I should be looking for. There's plenty of website giving rankings for "best" monitors of 2019-2020 but I don't always trust them.

I'm pretty sure 27" would be the right size for me, as I sit about an arm length away from my monitor and I've read that 32 was too tiring after a few hours of head twists. But should I get 4k or QHD?

QHD seems good enough but I fear to miss the opportunity to get a 4K if everything will be 4K in the future. Here is the kind of screen I'm looking for right now, with their price tag:

Dell P2720DC (QHD) - 390€ (not a lot of information on it online but good specs)
    Dell U2719D (QHD) - 450€
    Benq PD2700U (UHD) - 530€
    Dell U2718Q (UHD) - 680€
    Benq GW2765HT (QHD) - 320€
    Dell U2518D (25", QHD) - 320€ (praised cheap quality monitor but too small maybe?)

I'm mostly looking for quality monitors (Dell P2419H is what I work with at office) with flicker-free and low blue light to stay days and nights in front of it, and a good ergonomy. Dell is all I know until now, and I've heard some good things about Benq too. But if you have another brand in mind, please let me know.
    Also, I can't go dual monitors, because I don't have enough work space.

Thank you for your help.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If you want 27", don't get 4K. Dot pitch is too tight and you'll be wasting real estate with using scaling, like 150%.

32" is minimum for 4K @ 100% scaling. If you want real estate for work, consider a curved ultrawide.

LFDDatGuru3D likes this.
  3. LFDDatGuru3D

LFDDatGuru3D Member

GPU:
    Sapp. Vapor-X HD5750 1G
    Thank you for your reply.
    Since then, I've search for monitors that fits your specs and came up with those 2 monitors:

Benq PD3200U 32" IPS 4k ~650€ : https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/monitor/designer/pd3200u/specifications.html
    Benq EX3501R 35" VA UWQHD ~550€ : https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/monitor/gaming/ex3501r/specifications.html

The first one has better colors, plenty of options and a better stand.
    Second one should have better blacks (movies) and a higher pixel pitch (would be monted on a VESA stand anyway).

I'm just concerned about the "feeling" of it (couldn't see them in stores).
    Is 32" not too big if sitting at 3 feets of it? PPI is 137 for 32" and 103 for 35".
    So surely no scaling on the 35" but maybe on the 32"?
    I'm using a 15.6" Dell Latitude with 141 PPI and no scaling when working.

Any programmers with a 32" monitor sitting closely to it mind to share its thoughts about it?

Thank a lot for your help

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I have the BenQ EW3270U, a 31.5" 4K, and I keep it at about 4 feet. It just fills my field of vision, and the colors are such a treat. (95% DCI-P3) I run it at 100% scaling, and I am quite used to the small text. I did raise text size to 110%.

5. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    You should first check panel type on each screen you buy.

Monitors with VA panel is not good for text. Professional work on those screens is harsh. Only for movies and RPGs is good.

IPS panel though is the best for image editing and text coding/writing. Also the best for fast paced gaming. Pick your weapon.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Uhm, your opinion is flawed. Text on my VA is excellent. The small DPI allows for some amazingly sharp text.

7. LFDDatGuru3D

LFDDatGuru3D Member

GPU:
    Sapp. Vapor-X HD5750 1G
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The first is also 4K, and the other is an ultrawide 1440p. You get the roughly the same pixel width, but more pixel length on the 4K. It's just a tighter pixel dpi, so text will be smaller at 100% scaling. Tho you may prefer the 21:9 aspect vs 16:9. For movie watching the 21:9 may be more advantageous, unless you are a 4K movie junkie like I am. :)

Also to note, if you prefer IPS over VA, there is a EW3280U.

I love my EW3270U. I love the color gamut, and the HDR functionality. Getting VRR to work with NVIDIA has been a chore, but I pretty much have that licked. Going forward, I will be going back to AMD and be rid of this nonsense. I also love the black levels of the VA panel. The IPS will give you better viewing angles.