Monitor degrading?(backlight flicker like symptoms)

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by kman, Feb 13, 2021.

1. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Got 6 year old G-sync aoc g2460pg (G-sync) and for some time now I've been noticing REALLY subtle white flicker randomly in the background of anything I do.It's most obvious sometimes when looking at blacks/greys when using google chrome.It's like there's a light similar to backlight bleed that kinda flicker/moves within the colour if I had to explain it (Like a dim light inside the colours is constantly flashing in and out randomly very in a very subtle way)

It's mostly everywhere on the screen and its mostly subtle but occasionally I notice it more then usual.
    I'm using a DP cable for my monitor.

Could it be the monitor is on its way out?The monitor has had daily use for 10hours+ daily for the past 6 years so...

2. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    LEDs are on their way, they mostly come with mean life of 10 000 to 15 000 hours, you have probably accumulated around 20 000 hours of use. This was mostly problem on older monitors with CCFLs which were rated at about 10 000 hours.

3. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Guess I gotta buy a new monitor.I swear its I can subtly notice it on a white background too wtf.

Also checked the monitor specs.Backlight LED uses W-LED

4. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    I would not throw it trash just yet, maybe try different cable and port first maybe some kind of interference is affecting the image and it looks like backlight flicker.

5. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Hmmm I had a spare kabeldirekt dp cable and tried to use a different port on the gpu.Don't think I see a difference.Think it is the monitor itself that's the issue unless there's an issue with each dp port on my 3080 which is unlikely.

It's wierd.I don't know if its in my head But I swear I see the whites in my white google chrome page move subtly.(Obviously more obvious on a black/grey background)
    Like it can't keep a uniform brightness all over the monitor screen.Trying to find ways to explain it xD

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have had my current Led Monitor for over 10 years my backlit/led is fine, and in general on 10+ hour day. I would trying change cable first. I would then take the Monitor to diffrent computer and try on it you never know what is causing it. Could be port could be cables could be gpu it self I would check all possibility before trashing the monitor

7. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Already did try a different cable/gpu port and I have no 2nd pc :/

8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Did you try looking in the monitor menu options to see if there is an option to reset "everything"? You might also try turning the monitor completely off/unplug power for about 10 minutes to see if issue remains. The power off worked with slight background flickering on my 10 year old Dell.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Does your PC have iGPU? if so try using that instead of the dedicated gpu?

10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Disconnecting the power cable for 15 mins seems to have actually helped.

pharma likes this.

11. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Issue seems to be back.Seems to go away momenterally if I disconnect the power for some time but it comes back after a while.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Comes back for me about every 4-5 months. Other things I did beside the power disconnect was cleaning the monitor with a can of compressed air, blowing all accumulated dust out from internals. While primary solution for me is power disconnect, I also reset monitor settings to factory default from monitor menu.