Monitor + Cable + Onboard Video... What's Wrong?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mulsiphix, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Hardware Involved
    • I built three computers with identical hardware, identical cloned Windows drives, but one of them has a GTX 1660S (HDMI 2.0b port). The two using on-board video (Asus Prime X570-P, manual) connect via a HDMI 1.4b port.

• I have a Samsung 226BW monitor (DVI-D port utilizing a DVI-D to HDMI converter).

• I have an Asus Pro Art monitor (HDMI port).

• I have two HDMI cables (one bundled with Pro Art, the other claiming Hi-Res 1080p 3D support).

Behavior Observed

1. The 1660S worked with both HDMI cables and monitors. The on-board video PCs do not show video with either monitor, not even during POST, but sound confirms they boot into Windows successfully.

2. The Samsung has a source switch button to go between VGA and DVI-D. When on VGA it says I should check the cable for issues. When on DVI-D it flashes between an Analog and Digital message a couple of times, seemingly searching for a signal, and then the screen goes purely Black with no error about the cable at all.

3. The Pro Art immediately reports there is no HDMI signal detected when I plug the cable in and then the screen goes purely Black.

My Question
    On-board, it seems an HDMI signal is not being detected. With two motherboards sharing the issue, I doubt the HDMI port is faulty. Seems the issue originates with the motherboard, but I'm not sure how to further diagnose this problem. Anyone have any ideas on what I might try next?

Additional Information
    I checked the manual and on page 8, the only place it mentions anything about HDMI, it states:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  2. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I have confirmed that the motherboard only supports APU's concerning "onboard video". A CPU installed in the system with a monitor hooked up to the motherboard's HDMI port will not produce a video signal.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    gmavignier likes this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You are absolutely correct.
    No gpu no graphics. ;)

4. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I don't get it. So your CPU has no video? I'ts not an APU? What chip you are using?

5. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    The motherboard I purchased had an HDMI port on it. I assumed this meant it had on-board video. I put a normal CPU in it. When I did not receive a video signal I was confused. With a little research it turned out that the HDMI port would only function if I used an APU. To make use of my CPU I would need to purchase a GPU to provide me with video. My misunderstanding originated from the fact that my 10+ year old motherboard had video built directly onto the motherboard. I had no idea APU's were even a thing. I have since purchased a GPU for my system and all is now well.

gmavignier and 386SX like this.
  6. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    For future reference, list all hardware used (not just hardware that could be a fault). While you're at it, update your forum profile info ;)

386SX likes this.