Monitor "blanks out"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dheth, Feb 3, 2007.

1. dheth

dheth New Member

GPU:
    Sparkle Nvidia 7600 GS 512MB x2 SLI
    My Monitor has recently started to "black out" . The display will go completely black for about a second and then come back.

I have a Samsung 204b monitor set at the native resolution 1600x1200.

Generally it does this when running 3d application (games), sometimes up to 3 or 4 times in a row. It will do it occasionally on the desktop when I'm just surfing the net.

I updated the Video Card drivers and monitor drivers to the latest versions.

Next I tried was replacing the monitor and cable . I had a Single channel DVI-D and replaced it with a Dual Channel DVI-E cable. I have 2 Samsung 204b monitors and it does it on both of them.

The only other thing I can think of is the GPU, it is generally 65c idle and 85c when running a program like Battlefield 2142. Does this seem too hot, it has always run at these temps and never had this problem in the past.

Nvidia Control Panel only display one temperature level, I assume its the temp of the Primary Card in the SLI configuration. 85c is still in the green levels, but its getting close to the Yellow mark. The default Shutdown Threshold is 125c

The Video card is Dual Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 7600GS 512MB cards. They have Giant heat sinks on them but no fans.

Does this sound like a problem from the video cards getting too hot?

The CPU is usually 45c under load , but it is liquid cooled.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. dheth

dheth New Member

GPU:
    Well I placed a giant 125mm Fan blowing directly onto both video cards. I was amazed at the cooling results! The video cards now Idle at 40c and only get to 50c under load, thats a difference of 35 degrees celcius!

But it did not fix my monitor :bonk:
    Its fine for about 2 or 3 hours, then it starts to black out occasional for about 1 second and the longer it goes the more frequently it blacks out. Eventually it will be black out at 4 or 5 short blips back to back every 5 minutes or so.

So I've eliminated Monitor, Monitor Cable, Overheating, Drivers (I think). I know I'm not plugged into the secondary card of the SLI config, I tried using that port allready and the monitor doesn't work at all.

My next thought is too physically swap the primary and secondary cards in the SLI configuration. I'm grasping at straws now, its a very annoying problem and I have no clue what would be causing something like this.

The drivers I'm using under win XP are:
    Nforce4 amd XP/2K 6.66
    Nvidia XP/2K 9.1.4.7
    Samsung Syncmaster Magic(digital) 2.0

3. dheth

dheth New Member

GPU:
    I didn't want to mess with pulling the cards out and swapping them around just yet so I disabled SLI mode. The problem seems to have gone away.

Also I've always had a problem Alt-Tabbing out of Full Screen Applications, the screen would get stuck on a jumbled static image I would have to Alt-Tab 3 or 4 times out of the Application till It finally showed the desktop. Its not doing that anymore and Alt-Tabs everytime now.

SO I guess that means one of my video is acting funky or there is something wrong with my SLI. I've never had compoments partially fail like this before, Either they work or they don't, its hard to diagnose and frustrating >_< .

I guess the Primary card is fine since everything is running with just that. I'll try swapping the cards around and run in single mode and if thats fine then the secondary card is ok as well. Then I'll switch back to SLI and if the problems returns then I'll know its Running in SLI mode that is the problem.

If the secondary video card is busted thats an easy fix as the components are still under warranty, but if both cards are ok and the problem is in SLI mode I have no idea how to fix that. The only thing I know associated with SLI is the drivers which I have the most current version of and the SLI bridge between the cards.

I guess nobody has experienced a similar problem, if so please give me some input :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  4. slicksickwilly

slicksickwilly Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    I had the same problem with my first 204b.. It would only do that when hooked up to dvi from video card.. Its a known defect in some samsung monitors. Try hooking it up through the analog connections on monitor and it will prob go away.. I rma'd my first monitor directly to samsung.. They have a great rma program.. Cross shipped me a new monitor and paid my return monitor shipping:)

5. slicksickwilly

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    I should have made it clear that the problem only exists when running in DVI and at the native resolution of 1600x1200.. You can run at 1280x1024 on down in DVI and it shouldnt happen. You can also run any resolution in analog and it shouldnt happen either.. If you have to have 16x12 res in DVI then you might consider an rma.

6. wolf68k

wolf68k Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB AGP 400
    I had something like this happen to me recently.
    Cause: Dying PSU.

Replaced the PSU and everything is working fine again.

7. dheth

dheth New Member

GPU:
    I've been approaching this whole thing like its been something with the video card or drivers.

Willy :
    Thats not very impressive for a $350 monitor :( . Did you RMA your first 204b for that problem and it went away with the new one they shipped you, or is it all 204b models in general? I can probably live with using the Analog though the image does not seem as crisp to me but I could be imagining it.

Wolf:
    The PSU sounds feasible as well. Everything has worked fine for about 6 months. This Problem only started happening recently. If it was a known monitor issue why would take this long to start happening?

I guess it doesn't help that my other test monitor was also the Exact model. I think I will start with switching from the DVI cable to the analog. If that doesn't work I will have to drag out the Giant CRT and test it with that.

8. slicksickwilly

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    I too thought i had a video card/Driver issue when it happened but i had a few monitors around so i could pinpoint the problem.. My monitor was also brand new from Newegg when it happened and my old monitor/video card setup never did this.. You said your monitor has been working fine for 6 months now so i would def check it out with another monitor and also try connecting it analog.. Yes i rma'd my first 204b directly through samsung(great customer service btw) and they shipped me a brand new monitor within a week(cross shipping with return paid postage for my old monitor) and the problem was gone.. Sounds like you purchased your monitor around the same time i did and the ones made in China(not Mexico) around that time were all associated with the problem..

9. dheth

dheth New Member

GPU:
    Willy-

ACK! That basically sounds exactly like me. I purchased both my 204B[R] monitors from Newegg.com they were having a sale on the monitors at the time for $299.99 . Both my monitors are made in China and share the serial code BR20HVFL_ _ _ _ _ _

I noticed that went I went to the Samsung Site to look for 204b drivers there were 3 options all pertaining to the Monitors serial number. Which seemed odd to me at the moment and now I know Why >_<

I changed my Native Resolution to 1280x960 with the DVI cable and the problem did not reoccur. I also tried 1600x1200 with the Analog cable and the problem did not reoccur. The scrambled screen problem with alt-tabbing still occured occasionally but not nearly as often.

Thanks so much :) This problem was driving me insane! :chainsaw:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  10. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Hmmmm.

I have had my Samsung 225BW for about a month now. Last week when playing BF2 it turned black for a second, then all was good. This was after about 3 hours of gaming. It kind of caught me offguard, but I never really though much of it. After reading this thread, you've all got me thinking.

How many people have this problem? And is it with all Samsungs, or just certain models?

11. dheth

dheth New Member

GPU:
    Well my Samsung 204B monitors were all fine and good for about six months.

Then it sort of blacked out for a second in the middle of a Game like when you change the resolution settings. Then the Game came back. It would only do this after 2 or 3 hours of gaming and I didn't think much of it either. Over time it got worse the longer I let it go. Eventually it would do 5 or 6 Blackout "blips" every ten minutes or so. Restarting the computer would fix the problem for another 2-3 hours of gaming.

I didn't change any drivers or Hardware before this started. After the problem started I updated everything but it was still happening.

I'm waiting on RMA info for my Samsung 204B Monitors right now, I'm hoping they will acknowledge this as a known Issue. My monitors were both manufactured in June 2006 in China (according to the stickers on the back).

Right now one 204B is in the corner and the other is Hooked up to my old computer on Analog. I picked up a Sceptre X9WG-NagaV1 at the local computer shop for 199.99 and thats what I'm using now.

12. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480
    i have a samsung 205bw ,and 2 nights ago my screen went black a few times ingame for a few seconds at a time . it was my gfx card overheating because it was clocked too high .
    as for my monitor ,well ive had no probs yet.