Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Echelon, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Echelon

Echelon New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOUR
    Fellow Guru's,

I am looking for a bit of advice, I have a very nice 27" iiyama monitor but have been given £500 to spend for my birthday. Looking at my spec on the left I don't really need anything but I am gaming on a 60Hz monitor. I don't get to as much gaming these days but I also use my PC work very frequently.

Is buying a 144hz/1440p going to be worth it? I would also like it to be a 27". If so are their models that are recommended?

If I don't go down this route I was very tempted to buy an Oculus Rift while it is on sale! - The only game I would play is Elite Dangerous so I don't think its worth buying just yet!

Cheers!

2. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    If you don't mind IPS glow (is your current iiyama IPS?), a 27" 1440p G-Sync 165Hz IPS is rather nice. I have one (XG2703-GS) and it's excellent.

But depending on where you live, you'd need to put an extra $150-$200 on top of the $500 :p

I also play ED btw. It looks fantastic on this monitor, and G-Sync + high refresh rate work wonders with it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  3. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i have a i7 920 running at 3.7ghz
    and a gtx 1070
    i can run almost all my games at 1440p 60fps solid (with no anti aliasing, no DSR, vsync forced on, tripple buffering on, anisotropic filtering at 8x in most games...)
    i do however disable all kinds of motion blur and depth of field in al my games which also helps performance in a number of games AND it also is a personal preference...

i myself use a 40" 4k 60hz TV ans i sit at about 3 feet / 1 meter away from the screen, in most games while playing i almost never see the pixels however i only have 60FPS/60HZ

i have played skyrim with my psvr conncted to my PC and, i would leave the oculus for what it is... a expensive gimmick/tinker toy... (the looking around in games is truly fun but, i would wait to buy a set since there are not a lot af really good games that are 100% made for the VR headsets)
    skyrim looked A LOT better at 4k with High res mods and slight anti aliasing on my 40" TV when sitting 3 feet away
    especialy when i compared it to the psvr screen resolution.... (i also used an oculus once and the screens are not that much better than the ones of a PSVR)

4. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I have yet to see a single game where setting 16x has any perf difference compared to 4x... AF should have virtually zero cost on today's GPUs.

5. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    it has almost 0 impact on performance, that is true...
    yet i have seen a few games in the past few years that make fences and wire meshes look odd at 16x anisotropic filtering...

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Pretty much this. Have bought myself a 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor (XB270HU, yes its IPS), and haven't looked back compared to 1080p/60Hz.
    Gsync is costly, but afterwards you don't have to worry about anything anymore.