Modern Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Echelon, Jul 22, 2017.

1. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    you might have a point, but its not one-sided. i can think about several
    things that in older games used to be a mess and in modern games its been
    much improved.

modern games suffer issues, older games suffered issues.. my argument was
    actually about the atmosphere in modern games. i don't find it lesser or
    better than older games because you can find plenty of amazing games
    newer or older and its eventually personal preference.

for example it won't make any sense to compare The Witcher 3 to Half-Life 1.
    how can they be compared logically ? nothing similar, different times and both
    had PLENTY of atmosphere. there are many more examples like those.

people sometimes tend to confuse between atmosphere and nostalgia. those
    older games we used to play ( some of us :) ) tend to stick in the brain as
    the most memorable \ the best .. and so on.. on the reality its more about
    nostalgia than to be a far better game than today's best games. and that's
    fine.. when you are younger the experience is different.

English isn't my main lang so sorry for any grammar\logic mistakes :D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm 43. Games were more about fun back in the 80s/90s. There were plenty of stinkers as well. Back then there was also more of a wow factor as new techs came our way. These days, it's mostly about how pretty it is 1st, gameplay comes 2nd or worse. There are many advancements I love these days, but the overall quality has waned in the name of profit. I too lose interest in most new games really quick. Could be my age, could be the games aren't "doing it" for me.

Still, when I try to go back and play old stuff, most games haven't aged well. So many features we take for granted these days, even if the game is unstable or released in "Alpha" as a final product.

Even through our rose tinted glasses, every once in awhile, an amazing game still drops. Stuff like the Witcher 3 is undeniably outstanding and so far ahead of anything we ever had as kids. Ultima Underworld can't touch Geralt.

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Dlc, episodic content... ugh.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nothing wrong with either of those things, it's only when it's bad DLC that it could be a problem and even then it's not really an issue as long as it's optional.

I'm not going to feel sorry for impatient shopaholics or those with buyers remorse.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I remembered something else that modern games have nowadays that is very bad, patches that break games instead of fixing them...

This happened with the latest release of FM17 that now constantly crashes for no reason after a certain update... And the same is happening to Civ6 that i bought recently on Steam summer sale. Even better, the companies that made those games recognise the problems but did very little to fix them...

We have to love game breaking patches...

6. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I like my games in one piece. :)

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    All the games I've bought have been in one piece as well, even the episodic ones.

8. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Wow you were too young to see some of the best games back in the day. Although you were able to try Wolfenstein 3D and Doom which did make its mark.

Some notable games though somewhat dated looking now would be Warcraft 2 and Dune 2. These games could cause severe addiction and many hours gone and sunlight to sunlight before sleeping. But some others like Prince Of Persia and Karateka were still ahead of its time as far as what was possible on a 360KB and 720KB disk.

Going back to atmosphere even Starflight that fit on just two 360KB disks felt like you were truly exploring the Galaxy back in the 80s. Later games like Star Control 2 improved the graphics and sound and expanded upon it.

As for Zelda, I couldn't stand the game much during the early Nintendo days. The only Zelda game that I did touch base on and really enjoy was The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Sometimes there are really good and engaging games throughout time. Sure there could be a bunch of really bad ones. Just like in movies there will those that pop out from time to time and the rest just bad acting, overblown CGI budget, or sequel driven pick money pocketers.

Another console game I recall was Final Fantasy VII which prior to that I didn't really play or was interested but the story and music brought you in.

As for a more recent game in the last 5 years that I happened to stumble upon that brought back that level of engagement was The Last Of Us. Most can try the PS4 version for the best graphics for it.

9. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Some new games are very good (a matter of opinion, of course). As old timers (45 here), we're looking at these games through the lens of a fair amount of history, which can skew them to seem better than they actually were.

The new Doom, for example, is, I think, incredibly well done. The animation of the enemies is unparalleled, the overall graphic quality is good, and once you get your hands on all the runes and can make "builds" to enhance certain gameplay types, it's super fun.

I've been stuck in Borderlands 2 since 2012 though, only stopping for Doom and the occasional romp through Portal or something similar. It's the ultimate FPS for me... better than any that came before, and better than any out at the moment. These are for personal reasons - I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is gospel, but there's a very good chance that I could play this game for the rest of my life and love every minute of it. I can barely fathom what a game would need to bring to bear for it to surpass Borderlands 2 for me, but I'd love nothing more than to be pleasantly surprised.

10. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Last week I was on a space station in zero G literally grabbing objects with my hands to propel my self, and occasionally using thrusters on my wrist. When i wanted to turn on a flashlight I legit tapped the side of my head. When i wanted to cut some metal open I tapped my wrist and cut with my finger. When I wanted to the menu i tapped my other wrist and slid the slider. Yeah some modern games are amazing and are something we could only dream of back then.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

11. kaytau

kaytau Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060,
    I think that being bored with modern games can be owed to the fact that there are limited ideas. A lot of developers think about what will be selling, not only about what to do to make it super-original. Most of types of games have been made and it's hard to be compared to the legends, right? Also, there are soooo many releases every year now that it's really hard to follow...
    I'm in my late twenties too and I tend to go back to some oldies rather then check new ones. But maybe we are just simply getting too old for that? ;)

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Heh, I actually played PoP on PC once, can't recall how I got it though.

HD / 1,44 MB disks were the norm pretty much when I got into PCs but there were still DD / 720 KB ones used at least.
    Missed the large floppy / 5,25 " era completely, though I did have a few of those too and even a drive for them :p

But yea, I'm a PC noob considering our first PC was a 486. A mate had a 386 and another mate had a 286 as backup computer so that's pretty much the oldest computer I've seen / used.

Some neighbours' kids had an Amiga as well, no idea what model tho.

13. petermaybe

petermaybe Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB
    guess so. I have the same feeling about movies. What I saw in my teenage years impressed me a lot and what I occasionally watch now can't come anywhere near. New games also seem boring. Or I need to spend a lot of time trying to find something that I might like. That's too sad anyway, but I think it's all about the age

14. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Sell today, patch tomorrow :3eyes:

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Still better these days than it was in the past.

There was no tomorrow back then, you were stuck with the stutters and bugs.

You didn't have people doing YouTube videos analysing every single issue.

16. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It´s like devs want their games to fail bump :eek:

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_project_cars_2_ai_mayhem-40843_en.html

17. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Maybe i need a antidepressant or i just got boring with age but the fact is when i hit 25/27 years of age i just stopped caring about gaming in general. Back in my teen years i had a playstation 2 with like 6 games and i played the sh|t out of them and i grew up with gaming i honestly did but nowadays i barely care anymore. I wish i could enjoy a game like i did back in the good old days but i just dont care anymore. Sad. So for me is an age thing.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    for me i couldn t get a decent pc until late in my 20s, i couldn t afford to play games with good fps on a nice pc so i was stuck with low end vga cards and cpus, i was squeezing every bit of performance when i started to google around of how to tweak games for more performance, i was stuck with this and i was enjoying it because i liked to search around and try things since , now since i have a decent pc for 3 years i still like to sit a lot on my pc and try games to see how they work, and im.lovinf the fact that i can run games at 1440p now, while before i was stuck with low res and low fps.
    for.me now i just sit on pc try new and older games, install them and see with how they perform on my system, oddly enough the only game that doesn t run nicely for me on 1440p is farcry primal,while everything else was a blast at 60 fps and above.

19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The last games I truly enjoyed start to finish were Infamous: Second Son and the Expansion, as well as Uncharted 4. 2014, 2015?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017