Moderation Policies

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Scotto est Blot, Dec 5, 2004.

1. I would like to feedback.

I have, for some reason, been banned from the Games section of these Forums.

Given that I have in no way violated ANY part of your rules, I think this is unfair, and UNJUST. I participated in a thread which was locked, and the admin who locked it threatened "Action" for some of the more immature responses in the thread. And yet were my posts immature? No.

They were long, and well thought out, and incorporated quotes from other users of other Forums, pertaining to the topic at hand (Steam).

I flamed no one. I called no one in particular a name. And yet I have been booted.

I want this reversed, or at least a valid explanation of why this has occured. I don't understand the Draconian moderation on these forums, but I certainly will be doing everything in my power to do something about this myself.

Moderators are supposed to uphold the rules of a Forum, not excercise unjustified character judgement.

- Scott

2. My apologies if I sound angry, but I have encountered far too many forums, where the moderators and administrators revel in their "god-like" powers over users.

Given this, I don't take kindly to being arbitrarily banned, without just cause.

- Scott

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I closed your thread because it was a silly idea to start up a thread just like the other one. The first thread was closed for a reason - it got all heated up and arguements occured. So obviously I don't want this to happen again, hence I closed your thread. It's not like I closed it without telling you why.

BTW, sending irrational PM's to me will not be taken kindly to.

And also I do not have the ability to ban people... hence Admin must've done it. It was their decision, based on what they read, so take it up with them. I'm not sure that arguing with the owner of the site will get you anywhere but so be it.

4. I had no problem with my thread being closed. I already told you that. My "irrational" PM was in response to being BANNED FROM THE ENTIRE FORUM.

I don't really care if it was a Mod or an Admin who banned me - I want to know WHY I was banned, considering I violated NONE of your rules. That is the core issue here. I was banned, without doing anything wrong, according to the rules set out by YOU. That is my issue.

On a side note, the reason that initial Steam thread got heated, is because Steam is a heated issue right now - one which no amount of moderation is going to eliminate. Closing threads because people get a bit pissy isn't going to solve anything. This is beside my primary point, however.

- Scott

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Somebody sounds a little stressed. Anyway, that's "besides my primary point."
    So, you believe threads should be left open for people to have a go at each other and end in all sorts of nonsense? I'm glad you don't run a forum...
    However, banning the people causing the problems does solve the issue.

6. Actually, I am a Super Administrator on many prominent music and gaming sites/forums, not that that really matters anyhow.

Threads should be left for people to have a go at an issue. Not to have a go at eachother. You were right to close the first thread, and my second thread was an attempt to bring the core issue back on track. This doesn't matter though - what matters is WHY I was arbitrarily banned from the Forum, when I didnt violate any rules as set out by you guys.

I am perfectly aware that Admins/Mods reserve the right to make decisions for any reason they want, as I have had to excercise this right before myself - but this decision is beyond logical comprehension. This reasoning is also certainly no way to run an entire Forum.

And no, Im not stressed. Im a bit irked, because I had just finished participating in several threads, of which I was interested in following, before being banned for absolutely no justifiable reason.

- Scott

7. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    At this forum we close down threads which get out of hand, and it has always been like that. You might not have violated any specific rule, but you DID make a new thread with a pt. 2 of a thread we had closed down. Now, seriously.. Do you think that's a good thing to do? If the mods have closed down a thread, because of the hullabaloo the topic made, why the heck do you go around and make another one? The result will, no matter what you state in the first post, be that the same bazonka starts up again.

I find this enough reason for you to get a temp-ban from that section, seeing that you caused us mods more work and, frankly, it was kind of disrespectfully done.

I'm sorry that you feel so wrongly treated, but next time you might not want to make a part two out of a closed down thread.

8. I read a thread in the "Guru Chat", stating that you were giving users responsibility for their own threads. Given this, I was trying to bring the core debate back on track, because its an important issue. The whole Valve/Steam issue isnt going to go away, simply because you delete a thread.

So, I followed your rules. I even stated in the second thread, that my intent was to bring the debate back on track. I was going to take resonsibility for it, as per YOUR request, as Admins.

Instead, my thread gets closed right away, and I get banned, without so much as an initial warning or reason? Weak.

- Scott

9. And here is the aforementioned thread:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112558

A choice quote:
    "IF you want to post threads that have proven to cause trouble then YOU check on your thread every hour or two and if it is going bad then YOU the thread starter must ask one of us to close the thread."

So, I do this, and then get banned? Neato.

- Scott

10. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Weak? Listen.. though we're trying out a new idea of letting users have some responsibility of their own thread, that doesn't mean we let you guys have full control. The idea is being tried out in the PUB-section. Leaving gurus to freely discuss other issues would be insane. And as I stated earlier, no matter what you say in the first post.. how many will listen to that? The thread got closed, and the pt.2 thread got closed as well.. Of course it won't end the endless discussion about Valve/Steam, but it ended it for now.

Try to see the situation from our point of view. If we hadn't closed down the part two, we would have to watch for others to come along and start a flame. It's more work for us.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh for crying out loud, did everybody say goodbye to him ? He's gone 100% now.

12. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Haha! You're the greatest :D Though I was debating so good here, and you just got rid of the Monster itself. :bounce:

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Why waste energy on 'that' ?

14. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cause I got math-exam tomorrow and found it more fun to have a 'situation to handle'. Coulda slept so good tonight knowing that.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Heh ... you crazy chick. It's Sunday go do something fun instead ;)

16. omniscientist

omniscientist Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800 GT w/ Modified +.1v BIOS
    Unfortunately I couldn't say bye :-D and unfortunately I too have a math exam tomorrow Icebird.

We need some guru power to pass methinks...

17. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    I did not get to say good by so I will do it now LoL.. By by banned dude ;)

18. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Looks like might hear your goodbye Martys Web - I am pretty sure he is reincarnated as weezerowns. :p

At least it looks like him, signs his posts the same and has the same birthday...

19. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    yeah i was going to say that, he posted in one of my threads as weezerowns now i need to go find it......

actually it was in the games forum ironically

oh wait i see he was banned again.... :p

20. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    dont worry people who didnt get your goodbye's in, its the thought that counts ^_^.

I dont know what his problem was. dont care either.

:p and no, the mods wern't breaking any rules. the thread starter is held responcable for any threads that get carried away, just as the people who poorly post their ideas and what not :D

I will help you guys/gals study for your math exams "Evilly grins" Im fantastic at math. And the only people who disagree are math teachers and kids who peek at others grades. ^_^