Modems: Force no Answer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Foster, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Foster

Foster Guest

GPU:
    None-nVidaSux
    Sorry its been about 10 years since I last used a modem. I'm trying to help a friend who wants to dial out on his modem, but not to answer incoming calls (he has a fax on the same line).

Whats the command for this? AT S0=0? And where do I enter this oon a Win98 machine?

Control Panel>Modem>Connection>Advanced>Extra Settings?

Thats what I've tried and it hasnt worked.

Thanks for any help guys.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    What do you mean? WHAT hasn't worked?

Is his modem is trying to answer the incoming calls or something?!

3. PhearFactor

PhearFactor Guest

A fax automatically accepts calls Fastvfr, so if something comes through his Fax his modem automatically cuts off. They want to stop the fax from accepting calls if he is online. Thats what I THINK he means...? lol

Personally I'd turn off the Fax machine but thats too obvious to be the answer I guess :|

4. Foster

Foster Guest

GPU:
    None-nVidaSux
    Sorry, I've been off the boards too long.

We have, one phone line, split modem jack. One line to fax machine, one line to modem. Modem works fine. When computer is off, fax works fine.

What he wants is when the computer is on and NOT online (via modem), when a (fax)call comes on that shared phone line, the call to be picked up by the fax and not the modem. Fax is set to pick up on the 2nd ring, but the modem always picks up after the first ring.

I want to set the modem up to dial out only and never answer an incoming call.

I've checked around every setting screen I can find and have not found and "easy" way to do this. I thought a Hayes command line might work, but it hasnt.

Again, appreciate any help and such.