Modem/Router combo or seperate

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by maikai, Feb 16, 2014.

1. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Im switching from DSL to Cable and am wondering for best connectivity if there is any benefit from having the modem and wireless router separate as opposed to a combo unit such as the Motorola SURFboard SBG6782. I will only have my main pc plugged directly in to the modem using the Ethernet and most all of my wireless devices including my xbox one will be in the same room, worst case scenario one room away hooked up via wireless.
    Thanks in advance for the input fellow gurus

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    No not really, although you don't always get 'cable' modem/router combinations out of the box (may be a bit different 'state side / depends on what we're calling cable).

Combined is one less power cable to hide though :D

3. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Thanks for the response. I should have clarified. This is just for "internet" use, not tv.

4. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    The Motorola you speak above has some issues and it isn't very user friendly if you do not have much experience in configuring these equipments by hand.

I would search first about what options are on the market and then decide upon that. Always ensure that the equipment you buy is able to work with your provider cable system.
    Then it's a matter of taste and what's more practical, the combo system as mentioned above saves in terms of number of cables spread around and also in terms of power consumption, the downsides are the same as a separated, if it breaks everything stops working.

The separated system allows you to move the wireless equipment to a more central point of your house, but you get more cables spread across the room and you can achieve the same using a AP.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The downside to having a modem/router combo unit is that if either portion fails, you have to replace both. Also, these units tend to be more problematic....

6. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    thanks for the responses. I made sure and looked at my isp list of supported devices and that Motorola is by far the best one, even compared to the others without wireless built in. looks like ill get it and hope for the best. thanks again all

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A list of supported devices, isn't organized by which is best.....

8. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    I know its not organized by which is best. I said out of the ones that they support this Motorola seems to be the best one. Most feature rich and higher upload and download speeds compared to the others that are on their list. I'm just completely confused now to as why you even made that last comment...

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Your upload and download speeds are dependent on your connection, not your modem. Any DOCSIS 3.0 modem will be capable of transferring data considerably faster than your connection will be. Hell, DOCSIS 2 modems will still outperform most cable internet connections.

Wait until that $200 modem/router starts having issues....then you'll understand why they're a bad idea. I'm stuck with a modem/router combo from my ISP. No option to buy my own. I've had 2 fail.... When the second one lost wifi after only a week, I went and bought a router. Modem/router combo units are more prone to failure..... Too much hardware shoved into too small a box with too little airflow. I wish you luck with your's.....but don't be surprised if it starts to overheat and/or wifi starts to drop out.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Yea that's why I was wondering if it was actually best to buy them separately. I know the speeds are dependent on my connection its just that it so happens to be the case. The thing is it seems like 50/50 on what I can find on peoples opinions of having all in one or separate.
    Only reason I'm deciding all in one is because it will cost slightly less compared to buying one of the other supported modems and also a wireless ac router, that and one less power cord to worry about.
    Thanks, you're right though it really does seem like hit and miss with these, but I definitely will not rent one from my isp because last time I had trouble with that they refused to upgrade me to the newer modem they had listed on their website and kept replacing it with the same crap modem I was having connection issues with, and rinse repeat until I finally just cancelled my service with them.
    Thanks again for every ones input, if anyone else happens to have this modem I'd love if you chimed in on this.