Moded 5900XT BIOSes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dr.InfernO, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Welcome to Guru3D !

And, no prob's, glad to be involved. Especially when considering my Aopen 5900nu , which I still use today, also benefitted enormously from bios and card modding. In fact, other than for 3dmark05 DX9c scores, my modded and overclocked 5900nu scored better than my newer 6800le out of the box during 3dmark01, 3dmark03, Aquamark3 and Codecreatures1 testing. Mind you, now unlocked and overclocked, the 6800le is the much better card in all areas.

However, hopefully the wealth of knowledge and eperience in this thread is still around for a long time to come, since the page and viewing counts alone show that there has been, and is still, an enormous interest out there !

The 5900 is a very good card with excellent potential for becoming much better at little or no extra cost. And still being able to pick one up very cheaply these days at places like eBay, just makes it a better choice; even if only for a second, or little brother's/sister's, computer setup.

So I suppose it could be said that it is obviously a continuing or new interest from astute people like yourself that still keeps this thread alive and well !

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. guiliman

guiliman New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 3400PCX Golden Sample
    @ jimmor

Thanks, i will try it out.

What do the Latency Mod? does this mean AGP-Latentcy or
    Ram RAM-Latency like CAS/RAS ?

Can i take every 450/850 Bios? I have a MSI card, the given Bioses are with 128MB Ram
    but my card has 256MB.

Thx
    Guliman

3. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Right, while he does have Kingston/PQI RAM, it basically reached it's maximum FSB at 130 mhz. Not too bad of an increase from 100 with Generic RAM. I'm going to try looser timings and higher overclocks today to see what I come up with. Thanks.

4. Eyore

Eyore New Member

hello does anyone know a bios for my aopen 5900xt that works with 44.03?

5. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    A "latency" mod for a 5900 bios is where certain memory timing sequencies have been relaxed in order to allow increased overclocking. However there is nothing really special about the technique, since, apart from the values used, it is only duplicating what is normally done in a 5950u type bios.

And yes, you can try every manufacturers bios. But as for type, I recommend you only try 5900xt or 5950u bioses. For example, after a lot of testing with 5900xt, 5900nu, 5900u and 5950u bioses, my Aopen 5900nu has proven to work best with either MSI 5950u or BFG 5950u bioses. However, since every card is different, your eventual preferencies will likely be different.

Also, the 256MB of your card just means that 5900u and 5950u bioses will automatically accept and show that level, whereas 5900xt and 5900nu bioses would need a slight change to the latency strings to properly accomodate the extra 128Mb. Maybe you should read the 59xxx bios modding guide linked below before doing anything,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=330195&postcount=1

:)

6. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX 512mb
    wow, I can't believe this thread is till around....I haven't been here for ages, but back in the day when I got my 5900XT I got alot of info from this thread....funny :)

7. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The same advice given to the people in this thread with other manufacturers 5900xt cards equally applies to your Aopen 5900xt card. And a suitable selection of modded bioses is available at the first post of this thread !

Also, which nvidia driver you use is of no importance to bios selection !

:)

8. jollyroger

jollyroger New Member

i have an Aeolus Fx5900Xt and i used the Aeolus BIOS mod from the first page:
    a59x4886.rom normal (Agressive Latency)
    a59x4887.rom normal (Agressive Latency)
    a59xtRL.rom (RELAXING LATENCY - for more Memory freq.) (mod by inferno)

but i had this message of error:

The attacked monitor may be flicker as the PROM pins are enabled and disabled!

mapping pshysical address failed
    Cannot map TNT with PCI ID=0x20.

i don't understand why, some1 can help me, tnx :)

9. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Welcome to Guru3D !

First of all, to get best overclocking from your card, you should only flash with "Relaxing Latency" modded bioses. And regardless of the fact that your card is a Aopen 5900xt, it is not necessary to flash with a Aopen 5900xt bios. So have you tried any other bioses ??

Since the Aopen 5900xt bioses at the first post of this thread were amongst the first to be modded and made available, and since Aopen have introduced an number of different bios versions since then, it may in fact be the situation that none of the Aopen bioses at the first post of this thread are a best choice for your particular card. So, if really wanting to stick with Aopen 5900xt bioses, I suggest you mod your own original since it is possibly the most compatible bios for your card !

And if the errors you quote are happening during bios flashing, it would be very usefull to know which flashing program and command switches you were using. And were you flashing in DOS ???

10. jollyroger

jollyroger New Member

yeah the errors are happening during bios flashing, i use the program

nvflash.exe

the command i use is: nvflash file.rom

I', flashing in DOS prompt, i have winXP, also with F8 at startup i can't enter in DOS mode :(

11. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    For flashing activities with the nvflash program, you can use either of the following procedures. But it MUST be done at the REAL DOS prompt using, for example, a DOS booting floppy:-

Flash the bios in DOS using nvflash.exe v4.41

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -u -p -f BIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

And note; the -u -p command switches will ensure a flash regardless of any ID mismatches, so always just select to continue.

Or,

Flash the bios in DOS using nvflash.exe v5.13

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -4 -5 -6 BIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

And note; the -4 -5 -6 command switches will force a flash regardless of any ID mismatches, so always just select to continue.

However because of DOS filename restrictions, "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have no more than 8 char's in first part of filename and no more than 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise the command.

12. JoseB

JoseB Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800 16/6 350/800
    Hey Jimmor!

I just pick up a Gigabyte 6800 AGP on ebay for $130 and was reading about unlocking all 16 pipelines and 6 vertex with rivatuner from stock 12 pipelines and 5 vertex. Unlike the 6800GT which runs at 350Mhz GPU and 256mb DDR3 at 1000Mhz, the Gigabyte 6800 runs at 325MHz GPU and 128mb DDR1 at 700Mhz out of the box. The Gigabyte 6800 stable overclock seems to max out at 405MHz/GPU and 880/DDR as reported. Do you think it is possible to mod the 6800 bios to boot close to 6800GT specs by relaxing memory timmings, enabeling all 16 pipes and 6 vertex, setting the GPU at 400MHz and RAM to >880 in a similar way as 5900XT can be modded to run at near 5950U speeds?

I've notice the price is seriously dropping for the plain 6800's and looks like it could become the next 5900XT as far as affordability and tweak potential.

I'll receive the card in a few dayz and I particularly wanted to know your opinion. As always, thanks so much for your time!

Here is an article on unlocking the 6800:
    http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/default.asp

13. guiliman

guiliman New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 3400PCX Golden Sample
    @ jimmor
    Thanks again, very impressive.
    I think i try one of the 5950 Bioses..

Interesting for me is one question.
    Which Option has the higher performance gain.
    a.) Relaxed Latency with higher clock
    or
    b.) Tightend Latency with a slightly lower clock.

Anyone here who had tested/benched this?

Edit:
    Now i have NiBitorV26.
    The only thing is: i am not sure which bios from the first Page is a match for my card.
    I want the Voltage Mod (1,5V??), relaxed Latency,~455/810 clock (can mod it by myself)
    and 256MB Ram

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  14. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    guiliman, for me it's the Thighter timing.
    My max OC is ±950mhz whit 46 000 in Aquamark, but whit the Ultra bios it's I can OC past 1100mhz whit only 44 000 in Aquamark.
    It's 2 FPS and is not as smooth as the XT modded bios. On my rig.

15. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Since every card is different, not sure how you can guess at what the card will overclock at before you actually get your hands on it ??

However yes, the 6800 is a very good card, and even better if it can be unlocked to 16x1,6vp. But even if it can't, having default of 12x1,5vp still makes it an excellent performer when overclocked at 400+/800+, or maybe 900+ if it happens to come with 2.2ns memory chips.

As an example on what is possible, my Leadtek a400le came out of the box at 300/700 and 8x1,4vp. Whereas now it is unlocked to 16x1,6vp, and overclocked to 425/970. Mind you the 970 was achieved by a combination of timing changes and hard modding memory volts up to 2.89v.

And since you are now into reading what can be done with a 6800, maybe you should also check out this thread,

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=133245

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006

16. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

There is a performance "sweet spot" in every card, but only by a bit of trial and error comparing performance gained or lost from overclocking and timing changes will you be able to find yours !

But as a guide, if your card's memory chips are 2.2ns types, then you will likely find best memory performance at around 950-980. And which is why you may notice that my tweaked performance 5950u bios is at 970. On the other hand, if your card has slower 2.6-2.8ns memory chips, and thus max overclocks of around 750-850 then it is usually better to use more aggressive latency/timings !

And if looking for match for you card, then initially stick with same manufacturer types, However my Aopen 5900nu, both MSI and BFG types were found to be very good, so maybe you should also try other manufacturer types. Like for example, the Leadtek A350XT @ 450/850, which has proven to work well with many different cards,

http://home.arcor.de/redinferno/5900XT-BIOS/MOD-BIOS/leadtek A350THD/A350XTDH.zip

And as for making sure that your card's 256Mb is properly supported, you should have already noticed what was said in the 59xxx Bios modding Guide about the difference value of "latency" string depending on whether you had a 128Mb or 256Mb card !!!

17. gralsk

gralsk Member

@ jimmor

i got a msi5900xt card and i got it clocked at 499/975mhz without any problems, ran it through 3dmark03 without any problems and got ca 6400. i think i got 2.8ns samsung memory chips, why can i overclock it so high without gettings any artifacts then?

18. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

Because you just happen to have a 5900 with a good quality GPU chip; and which is also obviously fitted with 2.2ns memory chips !!

19. gralsk

gralsk Member

yeah ok, but i was wondering. I tried to flash my 5900xt with the 5900ultra and the 5950ultra modded bioses, but when i got to windows my card wasn't found. When i tried to install some drivers, they couldn't fint it. Any reason for why i cant flash it with these bioses?

20. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    If your card can operate at speeds of 499/975, then there should be no problem with flashing 5950u type bioses !

And forget flashing with 5900Ultra bioses since not only is there NO benefit, but you can also become involved with unnecessary driver/bios/card compatability issues.

However, once flashed with a 5950u bios, your card will effectively become a 5950u card. Which means you MUST remove ALL previous drivers before rebooting as a 5950u. And it may also be necessary to check at the mobo manufacturers website that your mobo device drivers are fully up to date !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.