1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mode0 in BIOS

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Fox2232, May 2, 2018.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    There is "Mode0" option in BIOS for ryzen. It is under CPU Features.
    Manual is not even mentioning it. On internet, maybe 5 people ask question about it, but there is no answer.

So, does anyone here knows exactly what it is, or has description in MB manual?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Direct access for secret services accidentally shown???

Maddness and 386SX like this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    RX64 Red Devil
    The only result so far I think may be useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface
    EDIT: If it is referring to the different P-states, C-states and so on.

Because you woke my interest in this: Could you please specify what values you may enter? ENABLED/DISABLED? Or can you enter a value? Or set it AUTOMATIC/MANUAL (if this is the case, do additional menus pop up after you choose MANUAL? If yes, what can you change afterwards?)?

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Try to contact your mainboard manufacturer, maybe they know what they programmed into their BIOS?

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    MSI today? Not really. 1/4 of accessible settings have no effect (unless some other option has certain values), and still you can change this value to no effect. (quite waste of time finding that it does nothing)
    Then you have settings which properly disappear when their values take no effect.
    And quite a few typographic errors.

+quite unusual thing: when you have power consumption limit for CPU (default 125) for XFR, you can decrease it and it limits XFR clock. You can increase it to up to 1000W, but there is somewhere behind scenes 160W limit.
    (not driven by current, that does not even remotely touch stock limits)
    But this hidden 160W limit is for XFR only, moment you disable XFR and just set CPU clock + voltage (4.25GHz + 1.45V), CPU easily eats 200W (in Cinebench R15) ignoring any limits anywhere.

If there was accessible hidden cTDP for XFR, I could get higher XFR clock for all cores. Currently I got all cores to 4.05GHz XFR by taking LLC to lowest value, as lower voltage on CPU = lower wattage.
    They have some XFR scalar X2 ~ X10, and that does currently nothing.

Basically it is beta BIOS. Then funny thing, I got MB, start it and check for BIOS update. I found out that BIOS present is quite older than oldest on MSI's website (and lower build number). So MSI is quite failing here. I do expect BIOS with fixes soon.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Hmm Asus doesn't give out spectre code fixes for it's flagship mainboards of 3 years ago, MSI's bios is full of do nothing stuff, Gigabyte's BIOSs are broken... I wonder what mainboard you should buy these days...

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Someone in news section thread mentioned that his ASRock had no SOC/Core voltage regulation settings. Maybe some entry board, but still...

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Yea my last ASrock board (socket 775) also wasn't really that detailed and all... so we crossed out the three big vendors and one subsidiary, how many still left? Biostar is quite limited too and beyond that... EVGA mainboards?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Maybe it is time to start bug-tracker community. Keep list of all bugs in BIOS our boards have. Each list can end up being pretty long and scary enough to force manufacturer to fix it.

jaggerwild and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Such a bugtracker would do their quality check department's work, at least those with more knowledge about in depth BIOS usage than me should get paid! :D

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    That mode 0 option did not appear until bios version 6004 for the C6H. No clue what it is for. Did not touch it. Was surprised that no one even on OCN asked Elmor what it was for. 1usmus has not mentioned it either.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    FBI & NSA : Hold on, don't move, stay where you are.

Maddness likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I bet they would love to invent some PC/smartphone device capable to immobilize a user.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Lithium Fire in pocket of your pants can immobilize you for sure, and you'll let incoming agents to know where you are with your scream.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    And for PC I can only imagine a mouse/keyboard stunning a user with high-power electric discharge. Plus a monitor blinding with a flash.

16. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    This might not be the right thread, but if you own an ASUS board you can patch you own bios.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-BIOS-file-CPU-microcode&p=700633#post700633
    I did this on my Z97 Sabretooth Mark 2 board running an i7 4790k. The microcode updates comes from Linux.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Thanks guys, but luckily for me (who would have probably bricked his own rig doing any bios modding) my inSpectre shows I'm protected after downloading the patches via m$ download center.

19. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    RX64 Red Devil
    So you could say the Samsung Note 7 was a successful NSA experiment. :)

BTT:
    I noticed the same menu option yesterday after a BIOS update on my X370-F Strix. I can set them to AUTO, ENABLE or DISABLE. But there is no info other than (if I recall correctly) "Enables or disables Mode0" (a real "flood" of information!!!).
    But at the same time I must confess I did not look for it in older versions. I only was about to set my RAM timings again and went through every menu becuase every BIOS update wrecks all my values, including profiles. (So don't think about setting any profile if you plan to update your BIOS on a regular basis.) I have to take another look when I get home to tell you where it is listed.

20. MattTheTechLV

MattTheTechLV New Member

GPU:
    FTW3 Hybrid 1080ti
    I can't find anything On Mode 0 Either, have been looking like crazy!

I asked in the Gamer's Nexus Discord, hoping Steve can figure it out for us, but someone answered me and said it locked the CPU to 1 Core, I just tried it, and it did no such thing on my MSI x470 Gaming M7, but then again, nothing seems to work in this "CPU Features" menu...