modded X800 XT-PE temps

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DeepRED, Mar 5, 2005.

1. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    I aquired not too long ago a modded X800 Pro to XT-PE.

I downloaded ATItools and made sure that the remaining pipelines were unlocked (which they are, 16 total).

This card didn't come with the stock cooler but with a Zalman heatpipe + the Zalman fan for it. I think it's one of the latest models since the plaques are blue.

Anyway, idle my temps are about 44 degrees which I'm assuming is OK. But when I tried to play WC3, less then a minute into the game I started to see some graphics 'glitches' and then the game froze (in other cases, rebooted my comp).

So I checked the ATItools and saw the Default speed of the card was at 520/560. I ran the 'Show 3D View' and saw my temps sky rocket from 44 iddle to pass 65.

Once it got really close to 70 I realized that the card was overheating due the same type of slow downs I had while playing WC3. I clocked it down to 515/555 (which was the speed the seller said he had it running stable, 60 under load) but that didn't cut it either.

Right now I've set the speed to 450/475. After a 25 minutes WC3 game the temps were just under 60.

Is there anything else I can try? Kinda sucks to have the XT-PE running at default Pro speeds :(

2. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Do you have plenty of room around your videocard to let it breathe?? Also try running your fan at 100% all the time like I do, it helps out my temps a lot.

3. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    How can I set the Zalman fan to run at 100% speed?

Its currently powered by the PSU with a 3pin to 4pin molex converter.

Right now I just ranit at 500/500 in a WC3 game and so far so good. I'm also
    gonna test the card in another system and see.

4. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    I have an XT-PE (not converted pro) and it runs around 34 idle 61 load using Zalman VF-700 and RamSinks. With the Stock cooling it woulld climb into the 70's.
    You should find out exactly which cooler is on your card, download the installation instructions, and then take it off and reinstall it - to make sure it was done right. For after-market cooling those temps seem a bit high.
    Do you know if the card was also volt-modded - that could account for higher temps.
    Artifacts can result from "dirty" power, so if you have a low quality PSU that could be at fault.
    Its also possible the card was never running clean at the sellers advertised speeds.

5. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    Thanks for the info!

For PSU, I'm using an OCZ PS 520w.

I just formatted the HD on a spare system I have and going to try the card to see. I will comeback shortly with some results.

6. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    Here's an update

I pulled out from retirement my old A7V266-E mobo and XP1600 proc.

Did a clean a install of Windows and drivers and all.

I haven't tried WC3 yet on it but I tried Elite Force 2. Played for about 30 minutes.

Iddle, temps were in low 40s like before. But while I was playing I did a quick check and they were sitting nicely in the low-mid 60s.

I'll be trying some other games but I'm suspecting that the case airflow played a part. This tower has more breathing room then my dually.

Thanks for pointing that out SVT Amateur.

I will contact the buyer and see what other mods he did. I'm also going to reinstall the Zalman cooler with some AS5 (the current thermal paste appears to be the generic kind).

But in any case, thanks alot guys. I'll post back later with more updates.

7. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    I might have rejoiced too soon, the same problem remains.

This is the Zalman cooler I have: http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013

I have not tried to reinstall it yet but that seems to be next step. The original seller assured me there was no voltmods made and the card was stable even at 70+ degrees.

Where can I can get those different BiOs? I read in other threads about some being better then others but the links were dead.

8. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    Right now things are getting weirder.

The good news is now, the GPU temps under load (when it gets there) are in the mid 50s.

I still have freezes when I try to game but now, it happens with both WC3 and Demon Stone within a minute into the game at XT-PE speeds.

However, eve if I underclock to 300/300, WC3 crashes right away. What is troubling me now is my CPU temps being in the 50s, iddle!

If anyone can share some info please do. :(

9. Crucible

Crucible Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti ASAP
    Well, first thing make sure there is no dust in it. My x800 pro heats up a ton with just the tiniest bit of dust. After I clean it, it will run at 31 idle, 51 worked at 100% fan speed. Anyways, get ATI tool. It will let you change the fan speed and is the best program to work the GPU the most. The reason this is, is because the very second you stop using the GPU it cools down FAST. In about 10 seconds it would have dropped at least 15 degrees. Even after a second it goes down at least 5. You may even be getting higher temps.

10. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    ok I may just be able to help you its not heat at all to many preconceived ideas around here about heat, you will most likely find the core it self it not to flash with 16p's hence that’s why it was a pro to start with.

There are a couple of things you can do 1st flash it to an xt not pe 500/500 connect 3d works well then the 2nd and I would not usually tell anyone to do this unless you have a good knowledge of modding but looks like some one sold you a bad core go here and try this you wont need to much more voltage to get it running happy but should fix her up :)

good luck

11. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    Last tests I did, I took 3D marks and ran it a few times.

510/555 was the max I got. When I contacted the seller he told me he ran
    it around those speeds so...

Anything slightly above that made 3D Marks crash.

It was prior that however I began to realize the problem was with the core and not the heat or my mobo. At 510/555, I was able to play Demon Stone and my temps never exceeded the mid, high 50s.

At 520/560, here's what I noticed:

3D Marks: No go, crashed almost right away

Demon Stone: First time it played nice but few times after, sooner or later it crashed.

Doom 3: Briefly played but it ran fine (game still scares me)

ST Elite Force 2: Played very well, no crashes.

WC3: Unstable with that card, period. Even at 300/300. I'm suspecting its the drivers though because I read about others having the same issues with their ATI cards (non o'ced of course)

I must point out too about WC3, last time I tried it, it was at 510/555 and it ran great for over 20 minutes. Then I got some weird error saying something about my VPU and then it crashed.

I will flash a different BiOS and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  12. Buenamos

Buenamos Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX570
    I have a true x800xt pe, but I thought i'd give you my input on the matter since the pro vivos are pretty much the same card but didnt past the "test." I idle at 31c and max at 47c but keep in mind, this is watercooled and memory heatsinks.

13. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    gezz that’s not good i have unlocked 7 cards now every one of them were different 1 would go 600mhz after and then the next would struggle with 500 its really luck of the draw, don’t think going to a xt bios will slow it down it wont only the lesser clocks will but before you o/c it get it stable 1st.:)

14. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    As a few of the other posters have said, flash it with XT BIOS.

Also, don't worry so much about temps. They can take up to 120c, though I highly suggest you don't let it exceed 100c. Personally I cut off the temp at 75c just for the good of the card because anything higher than that, though technically okay, is just way too hot for me to be comfortable with having spent $400 on this thing :p

Anyway, as I said, try the other BIOS (Connect3D ought to work if you can find them) and post your results back here.

15. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    OK!

I flashed the Connect 3D BiOS. ATItools shows 16 pipeline, 500/500. So far so good.

Now, I haven't o'ced anything at this point. The game that plagues me is WC3 which I tried again. It ran fine for roughly 10 min. then it froze. It wasn't the temps, they were just under 60 degrees.

It might be an issue with the game and that card. I read about other people having the same problems with their legit X800 PRO/XT/XT-PE cards.

Same instability results with the ATI and Omega drivers.

I'm going to try some other games, do some more tests and will post back.

16. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    ok now flash it back to a pro don’t worry you will still have your 16ps but we are trying to sort out the card atm you can always flash it back xt later we are trying to eliminate the core as the culprit.

once we find out its the card then we can fix it up if you still have issus as at pro speeds id say it may not be the card

17. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    Before I go on, I want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to give
    me some valuable advice.

Now back to business :)

First, I flashed it back to X800Pro (12P, 475/450) and ran a few WC3 replays. No crashes, they all ran perfectly.

Still with 12P, I o'ced the card to XT-PE speeds (520/560) and re-ran the same replays and much to my surprise, it didn't crash! I'm pretty sure I could've o'ced higher but that would've been pointless at this point since it was only with 12P.

Now, this being extablished, I flashed the modded X800Pro 16P BiOS. Ran those same replays again (16P, 475/450) and much to my surprise they worked flawlessly.

Greedy little bastid that I am, I cranked it up to XT-PE speeds (16P, 520/560) et voila, less then 10 seconds and it froze.

So, so far what I (we) know is WC3 doesnt like the 16P enabled @ 520/560 but sings a different song with 12P.

With 16P enabled, I need to gradually overclock the card to see when exactly does WC3 becomes jerky. I will try some more games later in the week. It's just sort of annoying that some games run at certain speeds while others simply dont :(

18. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    arrr good to see we are making progress! if you flash the card back to pro it will not close the pipes, the xt and the pro vivo are basically the same bios just different clocks, Ok now heres how we fix it go to the d/l section of the guru's site and get an app called rabit use it on the bios image file for the xt and change the core speed to 475 and leave the mem clock at 500 save the image and reflash the card with that image file and you should be good to go !

good luck with it :)

19. DeepRED

DeepRED Member Guru

GPU:
    His HD3870 Turbo @ V7700
    I got one question about the pipelines.

You mentioned that flashing back to 'Pro' will not close the the pipes.

Yet, when I did it, ATItools showed 12 pipes. I had to use the special one that kept the 'Pro' speeds while unlocking the other pipes to have ATItools show me 16 pipes again.

I'm just want to make sure of this ;)

20. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    you will find its only a driver issue i have flashed to every ati bios there is never has it gone back to 12p all ways 16p once there open there open near impossible to close some dudes say you can but never seen it just do the rabit thing and you will be sweet.

all that is wrong with your card is it dosent have a good gpu for 16p's @ 500+ clocks so just run under 500 and you should be ok , leaving the card 12 and clocking it will not go as fast as 480 with 16p's.

you can do the pencil trick which will help but you need to know whats going on before you try it

have a read here pretty easy trick
    http://www.vr-zone.com/index.cgi?i=817&s=1