Mod Bios PAL to NTSC on Sapphire HD3650 512M DDR2 Dual DVI AGP

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SerFeldon, Jul 7, 2014.

1. SerFeldon

SerFeldon Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 3650 512M DDR
    A little backstory... I was trying to hook up my Sapphire HD3650 512M DDR2 Dual DVI AGP to an old Sony Trinitrom XBR CRT via s-video cable. The picture came up black and white and it was scrolling rapidly. I tried a different cable and hooked it up to my plasma tv instead. Same problem. I also have an older ATI x1600, so I installed it. Same problem. I did a little googling and found out this can be caused by the card being in PAL television standard on a NTSC TV. More googling and found out some ATI cards have a PAL/NTSC jumper on the board. Unfortunately, the version of the HD3650 I have does not have the jumper, but the ati x1600 does, and it was set to PAL. I switched it over to NTSC and installed it. Voila! It worked! A little more research and found some people edited thier BIOS from PAL to NTSC to fix this problem on some ATI cards. And after lots more research I could not find specifically how to do it. I looked at some of the bios editors like RaBiT Bios Editor v2.2, RadEdit 1.1D, Radeon Bios Editor v1.28, ComputerBase ATi BIOS-Editor 0.97 Beta, and ATI BIOS Editor 2.7 and tried to find a tutorial/guide on how to change the TV standard using any of these tools with no success.

So, I guess what I am looking for, is someone with experience with any these tools that can tell me which one I should use, and how to do the PAL to NTSC edit, or someone with an already modded BIOS for my version of the HD3650 but I don't really want/need a BIOS with a bunch of overclocking. My main use for this PC will be as an HTPC. It is a Multiboot system with Windows 7, Xubuntu 14, and OpenELEC 4. I use my 17" LCD monitor on Windows 7 and Xubuntu, and only want it on my TV when booting OpenELEC. There might be a way to customize OpenELEC to force the HD3650 into NTSC mode, but I have zero idea how to go about that, and I would prefer a BIOS fix as a more permanent solution anyhow. I know I could save myself some trouble and buy a cheap HTPC device for like 100 dollars, but I really can't afford it atm. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014