Mobo won't post...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Vicious-Deeds, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Alright, straight to the point...

The system specs are:
    Amd 3200+ (socket 754)
    Asus K8N-E Deluxe (socket 754)
    Corsair 512 DDR1 400Mhz
    Chieftec 380W powersupply *12v rail have 17A
    80GB WD Hard Drive IDE
    GF FX5900XT 128MB AGP

When I turn it on there is nothing on display, the fans spins up, green led light is on, power led light is on, no sign of hdd activity (it wont even spin up when connected to the mobo, otherwise it does), no error sound. The strange thing is that it booted once after several attempts while it was seated in the case, I started installation of Win XP and after restart it never booted again.

Things I did:
    -Reseated the CPU
    -Reseated memory, changed slots, used only one dim of mem, tried 3 different types of memory, tried to boot w/o memory expecting error sound.
    - Unhooked everything but the CPU, GPu and power to the mobo (16 + 4 pin) and jump started with the screw driver.
    - Took the battery out and reset CMOS x times.
    - Took everything out of case and tested on wooden table thinking something was shoring the mobo.
    - Used eraser to clean ram and video card connector
    - Used 3000+ s754 from another machine that works
    - Used 450w cooler master power supply
    - Connected another speaker (buzzer)
    - Cleaned dust with compressed air
    - Reseated BIOS chip

Tested in another machine:
    - CPU
    - Video card
    - Memory
    - Monitor
    - HDD
    - Power supply
    Everything seems to work fine in another setup with Asus K8N board.

If it managed to boot once and install windows to the point where it needed to be restarted by itself it shouldn't be defective right? The only thing I can't try is PCI video card because I don't have it.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome!!!

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I've checked every inch of the motherboard and there is no capacitors leakage, all caps seem to be OK, no burn marks or burnt silicon smell, nothing seems damaged or broken, no cracks on PCB.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Phatzy

Phatzy Guest

maybe your bios has got corrupted, or your motherboard as reached its life span.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Sounds like the circuitry of your motherboard is dud. I suggest you to scrap it as the system is ancient.

Maybe time for a new system?

deltatux

4. If BIOS has got corrupted would there be any message like "Rom error" or anything of that nature?

Well, if mobo has reached its life span then the first thing to go out would be capacitors i think?
    I measured charge on capacitors next to the cpu and it seems rather low, only 8mV per capacitor. Is that normal?

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm no expert on electronics but it does sound low to me, but probably better ask someone who actually knows. The capacitor doesn't have to go first, it can be ur North/Southbridges dying on u. There can be many ways a board can fail, but it's common that capacitors blow out more than any other parts.

deltatux

6. Thanks for your responses;
    Here is the thing, capacitors measuring 8mV on MOSFET are projected in a way so that when CPU acquires power capacitors charge and vice versa. Since the board doesn't even check for the CPU those capacitors are charged minimally or 8mV in this case, so they are out of questions.
    Other capacitors regulated by 12V get full 12V charge, so they are out of question too.
    North and South bridge get hot even with no post so I assume they work too.
    Since it booted with one type of memory I'm using that one again knowing its compatible so I assume that works too.

Has anyone else experience similar things with their motherboards, and if so, how did you fix it?

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Could it be some board wire connection not working? it could be the pathways that are severed instead of the parts themselves being defective...

deltatux

8. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Do you remember the last thing you did before all this started like IE: Install or remove a component or did it just start this all on its own? If it just started this then my guess is a DOA M/B time for a new one if all the components are fully seated & all wiring is plugged in snugly. I had a M/B fry on me 2 months ago & it acted exactly the same as yours is now acting.

9. I appreciate you guys trying to help!

This is my parents computer, so its been working fine for couple of years w/o any change. I haven't upgraded or changed anything since I've built it. Pretty much what happened is freeze in windows, after restart it wouldn't post. Then I brought it to my place for testing purposes and after numerous times it booted finally but windows got corrupted somehow. So I started installation of Windows and when Win was suppose to restart computer it just wouldn't boot again. So I tried everything and it is still the same. I'm not sure what happened and if mobo died why it booted again and went through the whole process of installing Windows.

Today I've tried Sata HDD, changing battery, using DDR2700 memory, tried yet another video card, cleaned dust again (there was nothing to clean anymore), changed CPU and tried Semptron 2800+ s754, used AS5 instead of Titan nano, tried populating all coolers to mobo, used yet another working PSU.
    Still no progress...

Can anyone suggest anything else I should try, except hammering it or jumping on it?

My next guess is that either some transistor, chip or resistor died, or perhaps some pathway as deltatux said...ohh well

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  10. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Does the mobo have a chipset heatsink? If so, try reseating with fresh thermal compound.