Mobo/CPU upgrade questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jdoggg12, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    Need some opinions guys.. thanks! I am learning the whole OCing process and am thinking of building a 2nd computer for OCing and gaming only.

Currently I have the system seen on my profile. P4C800-deluxe, P4 2.4c, 1.5 gigs of RAM (2x256 generic pc-3200, 2x512 pc-4000 patriot) BFG 6800gt. I've got my CPU OC'd to 2.8Ghz with the AI overclocking tool.. I'd like to get into doing the OCing myself and work into a watercooled OC'd machine. I hear it is easier to learn how to OC on AMD chips.

I am by no means wealthy... so I want best bang/buck. But am willing to pay some extra coin for performance.

-Socket 939... is it true that it's going to be phased out next year?

-Mobo- I'm considering getting either the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ---OR-- the ASUS A8N-E. I'm not going to get into crazy OCing, but I'd definately like to get a healthy boost.

-Case- I think I'm going to spring for the CM stacker. I like the fact that the P-180 is going to be so quiet, but I'd like to watercool and the Stacker seems to have enough for a watercooling setup.

-CPU- I'm tempted to opt for an X2, but right now I just don't think I can justify the price. What would be the best A64 to get that would be a large enough improvement over my current cpu (in gaming) to justify the purchase, but not break the bank?

-Memory- I hear memory speed is not as important for the AMD rigs as with Intel. With that in mind... any opinions on a sweet spot between high performance ram and cost?

-storage- I have a WD IDE 80GB, WD SATA 120GB, and just purchased a 36gb raptor for $100. I've been hearing a lot about how the raptors are not nearly the speed kings they used to be.. should i take it back? (still unopended in the box)

Right now what I'm thinking about doing is making the 2nd computer and practice OCing with it for a while. To keep cost low, I won't get a GFX card for it for a bit so I can focus on getting to know the basics. And wait to see how some of the new GFX cards pan out (price & performance).

Opinions?:D