Mobility Radeon HD 4250 - Which driver?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Random20, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Random20

Random20 New Member

GPU:
    AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD
    (TLDR: What's a good Win 7 64bit modded driver for Mobility Radeon HD 4250?)

Hi,

I'd appreciate any help you can give with recommending an updated driver, preferably modded, for better performance/less bugs.

I'm using an ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4250 / 5145 Driver Release Date 12/02/2010 Version 8.712.5.1000, on a Sony VPCEE41FX notebook.

I primarily play at low resolution in dx9 mode and can run things like Oblivion, Skyrim, Arkham City, Injustice Gods Among Us with some tweaking of MaxDeltaTime, shadows, max FPS, etc.

I benchmark with the Lost Planet 2 Benchmarking tool.

I used to use Kevsamiga's Drivers (Sorry, can't post links, title appears to be: "If you still have a legacy card, try these hybrid drivers... - 11-07-2012") but the download link now seems to be dead and I've noticed that he actually didn't recommend them for mobility. - doh

I've also tried "stock" drivers such as the recommended download from AMD, 4200 series drivers from Lenovo, HP and Acer.

I've tried using FLEM to mix my original Sony driver with various others:

1. The latest official from AMD,
    2. Latest beta from AMD
    3. Latest Mobility Beta from AMD (can't auto download the recommended mobility because, Sony)
    4. The auto recognized NON-mobility recommendation from AMD.

The best I've seen in terms of performance is FLEM using the original Sony + latest beta Catalyst (AMD Catalyst 13.30 BETA (13.300.0.0 RC3 January 8) )

It installs and runs well but a few reboots later and I'll blue screen. (which doesn't happen with a stock driver). Also GPUz gives me an open CL error with the FLEM'd driver.

I actually get 3-4 FPS increase on both the A and B Lost Planet benchmark (B and D rating respectively) with the FLEM modded Beta + Sony driver so it's a pity about the blue screening.

When you're mostly seeing 15 FPS in actual, non-synthetic gameplay, 3-4 makes a big difference.

I've been doing a full uninstall of amd drivers/reboot between installs.

Any advice?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
  3. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
  4. thatguy_86

thatguy_86 Member

GPU:
    8 GB
    Do you own switchable graphics driver, ie amd + intel?

5. Random20

Random20 New Member

GPU:
    AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD
    No. Just the integrated AMD.

@ibitato

Does this work on 64bit? I searched that site for 64bit and the download was the same as 32bit you linked.

@Dch48 8.97.100.11 - thanks for the site, browsing through this as well.

6. Random20

Random20 New Member

GPU:
    AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD
    It seems that that Dch48, ibitato and the AMD downloader all recommend 13.9 legacy.

The driver descriptions seem to indicate different driver versions:

Techspot site:

Display Driver ver. 8.97.100.7
    OpenCL(tm) Driver 10.0.937.2
    Catalyst Control Center 2012.1116.1514.27190

Driver Collection:

Display Driver ver. 8.97.100.11
    OpenCL(tm) Driver 10.0.937.2
    Catalyst Control Center 2013.0429.2312.39

I downloaded and installed 13.9 legacy from the AMD site. Windows Experience Index has dropped from 4.1 and 5.3 in Desktop and Gaming graphics to 4.0 and 5.2. (which may mean nothing).

Are the leshcat drivers suitable for my card and are they possibly better than 13.9 legacy?

Thanks for all the help so far.

7. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    Do benches with proper software, not Windows Index
    It's better to use the AMD downloader ones (forgot abaout that one)
    I am not a fan of modded drivers, since they contribute little or nothing for legacy cards.
    People will tell you other wise ,but in my experience are more a hassle than anything else
    I run all my 4000 series with latest leacy drivers, ok.