Mobility Modder + Mobility X2300 = No go

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by JTD121, Jun 8, 2012.

1. JTD121

JTD121 New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX960
    Hey all,

Registered just today for some help. I have used the search function. Found a couple threads mentioning Mobility Modder issues, and X2300 issues, but not in the same threads.

Now, my issue is, well, it's kind of a long story. I'll try to summarize at the end.

I am a tinkerer. Had been using Mobility Modder to use newer drivers on a Mobility X300 in a Thinkpad T43p for...a few years. I then got a hand-me-down HP Compaq 6910p. Has a Mob X2300 with 128MB VRAM on it (I know, luck of the draw there!).

Anyway, reinstalled the thing. Went with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 64-bit. Installed the HP provided drivers (was quite a surprise to find they actually updated their drivers for W7). That lead me to have driver version 8.593.100.0, date 5/21/2009, WHQL'd and everything.

Flash forward to about two weeks ago. I decide to go looking for newer drivers (this happens every couple months with something on a laptop for me). I research when support for the HD2000 series (which the X2300 is technically part of) ended, driver-wise via ATi/AMD. Turns out it was about Catalyst 10.2. So off I go to download the 10.2 package, Mobility Mod that bad boy, and go to install.

Well, it installs whole hog, minus the LotR free thing, and I reboot when prompted. It comes back up, and CCC pops up an error with 'The CCC: Host Application has crashed' or some such. Okay, I don't really use the CCC much anyway. I go looking at the driver, see if it upgraded, still 8.593.100.0, even though the 10.2 driver lists as 8.723.0.0000. So I go through the manual Update Driver thing. Still no love. I select the correct INF (doesn't throw an 'OMG this ain't 64-bit driver' error), and it bitches about digital signature, and continue.

It does its thing for about 15 seconds, and comes back with "A service section in this INF is invalid". It doesn't install the driver, and gives no other explanation.

I've also actually bought Driver Cleaner.NET to try to help. It doesn't seem to, even in Safe Mode. Well, I mean, it does definitely clean out 99.9% of the old driver stuff and Registry entries, but it by itself doesn't help the upgrade itch.

I have also tried Dox's Customized Catalyst, 11.12, which seems to be the last release. Used his ATi Install Guide, and still nothing. It doesn't show a driver in the install screen at all, but shows CCC and CIM. Obviously this is some kind of black sheep card.

I've also looked at Mod Cat, but so far it doesn't even support Windows 7, nevermind the X2300 (which is also not supported)

Any ideas? OpenGL doesn't seem to work anymore, even installing the original HP drivers (where CCC just stops working more often than not). The Mobility Modded drivers (and CCC) don't work either. And the Dox CCC just didn't install (once I saw there was no driver listed, I exited out of it).

TL;DR: I wanted to update the drivers for my piddly X2300. Have had a bitch of a time getting it 100% working again after fiddling for two weeks. I just want the thing to work again, including OpenGL.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. JTD121

JTD121 New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX960
    Thanks for the help, guys. I figured it all out.....