Mobile Laptop Cart Networking problem

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by qazi, Nov 20, 2013.

1. qazi

qazi Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 470
    Hi,
    I am working on a project at my university. I have an ergotron cart which houses 20 laptops at a time. Inside the cart, there is a place for a network switch and a wifi router. The idea is for laptops to be docked inside the cart, so that they can be charged through their power adapters and managed through the switch. The Teacher/administrator laptop sends a wake on lan command to wake up the computers and start managing their systems, All through the wireless signal. When a class starts, students can take out their laptops and seamlessly connect to wifi network.
    The software i am using for Classroom Managemenr is LanSchool 7.7.
    The router is a simple linksys e900
    The switch is a TP-Link TL-SG1024D (24 port unmanaged switch)

Is there any way to create a network with this configuration using the components I have at hand?
    I tried going through the process of connecting the router to the switch and the switch to laptops. However, I have found that at any given time, at least 3 laptops refuse to connect to the network. I wonder why that is...

Is there anyone who has a solution for this problem???

2. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    My first guess is your hardware isn't playing nice with LanSchool.
    I base this guess on LanSchools' own recommendation, "802.11 wireless is supported, however enterprise class access points are recommended."

It could be a myriad of things. DHCP server could be set to dish a max amt of ips. If static ips are used, there may be conflicting ips entered on a few laptops. Drivers?

Is it always the same laptops that don't connect, is it the last three booted, is it totally random?

If it's not a dhcp/ ip issue.. I'd start by finding out what LanSchool means with it's "enterprise class aps", and go from there.