MMO New World (Closed Beta) is killing GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    This game has been in development hell for years. I'm surprised it's actually getting released.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What's your honest take on this @Hilbert Hagedoorn ?

To me it sounds like GPUs who cannot take really high FPS situations. Didn't Gigabyte and EVGA had a similar issue with a previous gen? It would hit thousands of FPS on a loading screen or something and then their cards wouldn't switch to another VRM circuit or something like this, and then basically poof.

4. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    EVGA 3090 FTW3 owners already report cases where the fuses on PCIe power rail blow with the 520W BIOS
    FTW3 has 3 PCIe power connectors and each rail has a fuse (20amp fuse? I'm not sure), when the VRM power balancing could not react quick enough it overdraw power from PCIe Power #1, thus blowing the fuse.
    As far as I know only EVGA decided to put fuses on the power connector

5. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Its a hardware issue, not a game issue, if OCP is not taking care of it its hardware.

Played the game 12 hours with a 6800xt no problems max 70c , its well optimized and the gameplay is great.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    MMO RPGs are not in high demand, I am interested in the back-story of the development more than I am in playing the game, though.

7. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    you compare AMD to nvidia? How dare you /s

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    LOLWUT

On a more serious note, years ago when I first found out what "coil whine" is, it happened in a game where during load times the FPS would go over 1000 for a few seconds and the GPU would go crazy. Ever since that happened I always limit my FPS with RTSS to my monitpr's refresh rate and it's all good. Guess that would have "saved" these 3090s from their demise...

9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    something I already mentioned in other topics, with the 3090 I discovered a "rich person problem" that if left unlimited the fps go so high the card goes max power instantly and as long as the game is running since I have a reference design it went to 350w, now I use a 390w bios currently...that I will remove after reading this story it doesn't have rebar anyway
    but anyway I quickly learned that those cards can output so many fps that you want to limit them because between 120-144fps and 300+ you spare an easy 120watts for fps you don't see and that have no point

I have no doubt you can blow up your car with ridiculously high watts bioses, with those cards, benchmarks became misleading they don't represent the reality, most of them have artificially low fps, fps which have a major impact on power usage more than resolution
    for example borderlands 3 has an internal benchmarking utility :
    1080ti badass 1080p benchmark 65fps real game 90-120fp
    3090 badass 1080p benchmark 165fps real game 200-350fps depending on area size
    I realized something was happening when I disabled vsync just to see how fast the card was and felt a heatwave coming out of the pc after a few minutes
    (game should be a must for videocards comparisons as it's almost only gpu limited I downclocked my 9900k 5.0->4.3 I was curious to see the impact of cpu, and lost 0,5fps)

that's why now I vsync almost all my games if you don't on a 3090 it will go max power whatever the game looks like

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yep, as soon as I see fps in hundreds or thousands in menus, I'm pulling up RTSS right there and then.

Solfaur likes this.

11. CyberG

CyberG Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    It is not the first high end Nvidia GPU with thats problems and it is not the first time that blame a high fps game menu as a problem. If a GPU die when is at 100% can't be a software defect, it's better that die now than in few year when get old and out of waranty

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exactly the same here.

Still, it shows that even under "normal" usage, cards apparently can break, for what reason ever. There's something very wrong with that under any circumstances. Either the game shouldn't do that, or the card's BIOS (which is limiting people who actually seek the boundries e.g. OC) shouldn't allow you to do that. Or both were acting as they should, and hardware wasn't up to it...

I wouldn't have thought such a thing possible these days.

DannyD and Solfaur like this.
  13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Doesnt surprise me that evga cards has this issue. The last evga cards i had was 780 ti SC in sli... got 3 replacements before i had 2 working cards with no issues.

Solfaur likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Always use an fps limiter. People should already know that.

Noisiv, Solfaur and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    BL3 is not all GPU, its actually very heavy on the CPU for things like item drops, and opening randomised loot crates. Heck the game stutters for a split second everytime you walk up to a vending machine as it randomises what is inside it.

Although everything else is for sure GPU with this game.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Its killing many cards now.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    People dont. Its not really talked about. Only thing not fps limited is 3dmark stuff. I have mine set it 165fps with a 144hz panel. Most games i cap at 144.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Do nvidia cards have build in framerate limiter like amd have with frtc or they have to use rtss?

20. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Thank you for your review,
    you just earned a free month of Amazon Prime!