MMO Addiction?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by OrionRU, Jun 1, 2008.

1. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    I was playing WoW casually for around 3 months (got to 70 on just 1 char).

At max level it became apparent that to progress any further I would be required to either spend countless hours to grind solo for rep/gold or be absolutely required to group/PVP again spending countless hours.

At that point I quit (recently) because I didn't have that kind of time to devote to a game.

I was reading forums and some guilds required people to attend raids like a full time job. At one point I saw a guild wanting people to raid on 90% of nights for MTWTF from 7pm to 12am and later.

What is rationale for this? Do people actually enjoy this type of work, and it is work in my opinion, or is it just an addiction that they cant break?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Wow, 3 months of casual gaming and you got to 70? Crazy... I have one mid 30 character in WOW, one mid 20 character in LOTRO and one level 10 character in AoC. I alternate between the games depending on my mood. Would never sign up to a guild that would ask me to do what you describe in your post... That's mental.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I played Phantasy Star universe for awhile, and just under a month I got to lvl83 (lvl10 hunter-lvl8 Fortefighter). Addicting game.

4. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Yeah im with a FPS / WOW clan.
    Read some of the posts in the wow section and some of the things they come out with when a certain person is late for a raid or doesnt turn up is really offensive to them that they start making a big deal about it like banning members.

5. stromchin

stromchin Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    and that's why they have to take it seriously or they get kicked out of the guild...
    and to not get kicked out they cancel stuff with family and friends. Therefore losing their girlfriends and jobs.
    If you read WoW forums, it's not rare to find someone explaining this same situation.

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    its why i avoid MMORPGs like the plague, lifes too short, seen it happen to mates with MUD years ago

7. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    They made WoW into easy mode now, you can pratically get 1-60 in less than a week and 60-70 in another week or two. Once you reach max level you're either gonna end up being a pvper or raider, or both. Depending on how good the guild is that raiding time can be cut down. Usually once the guild learns the ins and outs of a new dungeon then it can be cleared out on a daily/weekly basis. Now if you solo you'll be doing a lot of pvping and daily quests and thats what I did most of the time and thats how I got burned out lol.

I recently came back beginning of this year, got the first pvp set and my epic flying mount then I quit last month cause I got tired of grinding 3h/day for gold lol. While it was fun wtf smashing peoples faces, after I got a 360 I got tired of playing and ended up quitting lol... you'll mostly stay if you have an objective/friends/guildies to play with once you do solo or casual sometimes you get tried of it.

8. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    The biggest problem with WoW is that in order to get the best gear you NEED to raid or pvp a ton.

The problem is, when I played WoW, you needed 40 people to do the end game stuff (this was before the expansion came out). I like playing in small guilds, because I really enjoy playing with the same people and getting to know them. I have met some GREAT people in WoW, and I have even traveled across the country to meet up with some old guild mates.

The thing is, because I like playing in small guilds, the only time people can raid are the weekends (due to work and other stuff). The thing is, the weekend is my time to hang out with my friends and do other non gaming stuff.

I basically had no choice but to quit WoW because I couldn't progress at all.

The guilds that require you to attend raids are stupid. People take gaming WAY to seriously sometimes. It is sad when people spend more time in a fantasy world than in real life.

I also find it funny when WoW guilds have a point system to distribute loot. That is one reason I loved the guild I was in. All of us were friends so distributing loot in raids was easy, required no dkp system, and no one bitched about it.

I have seen several peoples lives ruined by WoW. And by ruined I mean they went from "hang out all the time, studied and got good grades, healthy + not overweight" to "never see them, are getting much lower grades than they should, gained 10-15lbs".

You really cannot blame the game though. I don't understand why WoW does that to people (I have seen it happen to MULTIPLE people).

9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    Im happy that EVE-Online doesnt ever stop =) its evolving and getting something takes damn alot time. Using as pro takes damn alot playing time.

Im not yyber =)

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Would you know, I wrote a short paper on this subject.

11. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I had a 60 priest once and I was constantly raiding. Like 3-4 days a week, 7 PM to 12 AM. I totally got tired and quit WoW for good. Never went back in it. It was too addictive for me, seriously.

World of Warcraft is on my Black List of games.

12. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I stopped at a level 10 Undead Rogue.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i had similar but it was with Titan modes in BF2142.
    very addicting especially when you get under peoples skins from killing em, i got a kick out of people hunting me down specifically for revenge.

every time i play it i get readdicted again for a while, quit for a while then repeat.

14. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Thanks folks, I'm good now. Looks like I do indeed have to have access to my old e-mail to use the scroll.

Kinda sucks as I hate calling tech support over something like this.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  15. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    the key to being addicted to MMOs are friends. basically, the more friends or playmates you have online, the more addicted you can be.

i was also addicted to an MMO before which is RF online. although different, the points in discussion are still the same. i made a lot of friends in-game and that made me play more and more and more. me and my guildmates were meeting on a regular basis, just to see each other and have some good social time. i even got to a point where i was leading my whole race to win wars!

man, it was a nightmare. all my time was devoted to the game and nothing else matters (but i still managed to graduate an engineering course at that time ^_^). but now, most of my friends are starting to leave the game and that makes me feel alone and got bored of the game quickly which is something my mind would even think about before.

16. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Similar story here, used to have 60 hunter before exp with rank 11 (100 hours of pvp per week)

Now, I'm addicted to DotA since a few year but the difference is I don't skip sleep and stuff just to play DotA

Basicly because every game is a new cycle so not much to gain
    It's just a really fun game to play even after 20 thousand hours XD

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i loved my wow guild guild the one and only reason i played as long as i did, but yea at max level (60 when i quit) it is more like a job than a game lest to me.

and when pvp was a treadmill in wow and you had to quit your job sell your kids and pimp out your gf or wife to get above rank 5 or 4 because you had to do bgs 80 hours a week after you hit those ranks to gain rank or not slide back. so all was left to log in and do oyx, mc, bwl, aq blah blah.

yea learning a dungeon is fun especially with a good guild that can have fun and still do the job at hand, but after 20 or more runs and if your unlucky still stuck there cause your stuff just wont drop its gets boring no matter how funny your guildmates are.

best game i played for nearly 5 years asheron's call was interesting because there was almost no max level, you could get to 126 but your skill would not cap out until you reached something like level 200+ because you could raise stats and skills by earning xp past the level cap.

nm that ac had gm run events, had puzzle dungeons, maze dungeons, solve riddles, some dungeons you needed 2 or 3 teams to advance the dungeon by activating switches for the other teams etc.

darn shame turbine did some many things right with ac, and then ruined ac2, lotr and just about everything they touched after. heck if they had just redone ac1 with modern gfx and ran it the way they ran the old game it would have been great, but they made ac2 almost group required to do anything, that totally turned off the ac1 player base.

ok ramble off.

18. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    I blew my high school career MF'ing Mephisto with a meteor/fball sorc

Not an MMO, but close enough.

19. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    Can you fly dreads or command ships?

20. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    What you describe in the OP is well... ridiculous. I pretty much play MMOs exclusively (for the time being) and its not because Im "addicted" per se, but more because A) I have nothing better to do with my time, B) They are the longest type of RPG one can play and C) like it or not, they are probably the most social online type of game since youre always interacting with people.

Thats the problem with ANYTHING, not just MMOs... there are people that will take it to and past extremes. Moderation is key yes?