MLAA? No thanks, FXAA please

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ziddy123, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Konrad321

Konrad321 Banned

His settings are the worst. FXAA is definitely faster by some margin. In all games I tested it is faster. Could easily post 10 games or more with Fraps measurement and upload, but certainly not necessary.

2. ziddy123

ziddy123 Banned

GPU:
    No way, FXAA is much faster than MLAA and it looks just as good if not better. It's so fast. Post Processing happens with only about .17 ms latency. And it has only 2-5 FPS performance hit. MLAA for me has about 40% performance hit, it's AWFUL.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Wait what? Is there a way for AMD users to force FXAA on games which don't support it? Or are you talking about games which have it built in?

For the record the MLAA used by Catalyst 11.6 is lousy. It takes literally more resources than 4x Super Sampling, causes way too many artifacts and is blurry as possible. FXAA is far superior to that based on every screenshot I've seen.

Apparently in the preview of Catalyst 11.8 is stops using such preposterous amounts of resources for a simple effect but of course AMD went ahead and broke more than they fixed. It can't be applied to anything windowed.

When I asked those who have 11.8 installed to test if it can be forced onto a window everyone ignored me, that was really jerkish. How dare I ask someone to take 10 seconds to check something to save me 40 minutes of switching drivers. As if I'm going to wipe my drivers to test a preview version in the off chance that a bug can be fixed by forcing settings.

Like I said before this is the last AMD card I'm buying unless they get their **** together.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    in a few games fxaa worked...i have more fps than mlaa...bravo amd...throw mlaa out and give us all fxaa....is better and faster...:bang:

the only problem is that fxaa changes the original output more than mlaa...:puke2:

5. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    ..er..that is taking a bit too far. 0.17 ms in which game! or which FXAA preset!. If the value is from those notes/documentation..then ignore'em.

Currently, FXAA post processing with Sharpen is around 3-4 ms in Witcher 2, With MLAA its much higher than 6ms at minimum.

-Edit-

More info from 3DCenter

Ignore the FPS count, its a static image upon which the Post Processing is applied to check the image quality(changes)...but anyways see the performance hit of MLAA vs FXAA even on the static image..ROLF.... 200+ vs 600+..

Ronny145
    Grandmaster Member
    Thread-Starter

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  7. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
  8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Don't insult my intelligence.

I do accept the fact. However, the fact that FXAA is faster and more efficient than MLAA only applies in certain games, as per my own test results. I never said MLAA or FXAA is clearly better than the other, I said it was situational. You're the one not capable of accepting the facts I put down in front of you. Opinion and fanboyism has nothing to do with it.

With that logic, why does AMD's MLAA run faster and look better than FXAA in Saint's Row 2?

9. Konrad321

Konrad321 Banned

Crappy ThesholdMin setting.

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You do realize that I'm giving FXAA the benefit by lowering the default min threshold, right? Most people are testing FXAA straight out of the package. I am not.

I'm using =0.05

Furthermore, I'm using the settings listed in the post that contains my results with all 3 games. If the min threshold setting was "crappy", then why does it show benefit over MLAA in ME2 and SS?

11. Konrad321

Konrad321 Banned

Ok 0,05 is ok, I mixed it up with the other Treshold. But since every game runs slower with MLAA for mine, I'm testing Sains Row 2 later and see what happens. Do you have the save game for me?

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    As with any dll hook you have to be very careful using it while gaming online. If anti cheats like Vac, PB, Warden, alteriw's anti cheat, etc decide that they don't like it you maybe kicked or banned.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Unfortunately not. I won't have access to it for another 9 hours since I'm at work. However, you should be able to reproduce the same scene if you get the cat outfit from Let's Pretend in the Ultor mall, and leave the starting crib unchanged.

14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I still see there is no fix for After Burner's OSD and problems with ATI Tray tools OSD.

15. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Thou have insulted me.... :realmad: ....I shall take action.

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Just because someone doesn't share your opinion doesn't mean you need to be a condescending jackass towards them.

17. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Oh my GOD!!!!..

LAVAN's was right, FXAA is a FARCE. Quick everyone...delete all FXAA DLL wrappers and use ATI/AMD MLAA as it ROCKS(especially CAT 11.6 version, quality is TOP GRADE)..check perceived quality, by your EYES..FREAKING EYES..check it out.

There I have accepted MLAA owns FXAA.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Thanks. Is there an official website or something where I can check for updates?

Oh and it seems to combine with other filters. I tried it with MSAA and SSAA and in both cases it worked. Either that or I'm going blind.

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Again, I never said MLAA is better than FXAA. I said MLAA being better than FXAA is situational. Saint's Row 2 is one of the situations where MLAA is better than FXAA. Split Second is a situation where FXAA is better than MLAA.

Stop trying to twist my words just to reinforce your baseless claims.

20. Konrad321

Konrad321 Banned

Just checked Saints Row 2. Here my first results.

NoAA
    http://s7.directupload.net/images/110816/rxj5hd3v.png

Inject FXAA Default
    http://s1.directupload.net/images/110816/4aig8cwo.png

Inject FXAA Custom (for a sharper image)
    http://s1.directupload.net/images/110816/gseqbqaa.png

MLAA
    http://s1.directupload.net/images/110816/887f6cax.png

MLAA slower as usual, I'm not surprised. Image quality wise I prefer FXAA, MLAA too blurry for my taste. And importantly in motion MLAA shimmers much stronger. More blurred and even a stronger shimmerhing, this is a no-go. FXAA the better balanced solution overall.