Mirror's Edge PC will get NVIDIA PhysX effects - Movie

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    You may well be right, but I would at least like to see a developer/company TRY to max out my CPU before demanding I buy another VGA just for physics rendering.

The fact of the matter is I have 4 cores running at only ~40% utilisation when I have a whole screen of burning, exploding, and AI run enemies whilst playing Far Cry 2. If my cores were at 100%, I wouldn't even be complaining right now.

2. pieisgood

pieisgood Master Guru

GPU:
    4870 512mb
    If one had the physx card (the old pci thing) would the effects work?

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    that required 9800 gtx+ is horse crap
    physx by nvidia can be done on any cuda enabled video card, which is from the geforce 8800 to the leatest

nvidia is crapping on us so that we can just give them more money, hey kinda like EA...

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How are they crapping on you, because you miss out on a few non-gameplay graphical features? Who cares. Besides, you'll probably be able to enable the physics effects without it, they are just recommending a 9800GTX+... like every other game ever released.

The whole "Nvidia is doing this for money" thing is retarded. Not only is it up to EA/DICE to implement this, so they are making the final decision. But I highly doubt anyone is like "omg i need to go buy a 9800GTX+, that breaking glass is just too awesome to miss out on!". Not to mention that you can pretty much say that for any enhancement in anything ever. "Omg my ford model T won't go 60 mph, ford selling newer cars capable of going over 60 is bull**** and they are just trying to make a quick buck"

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008

5. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    god damn i need this game, and that song.. anybody know what it is?

hopefully be playing on new phenom 2 rig by then :D

6. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    lol im not sad i will "miss" features, im sad that nvidia is forcing people to spend money un useless stuff when they don't have too

7. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Then that just tells you its a GPU limited game then huh??

Farcry 2 has hardly any physics whatsoever.....And dont tell me it does, its all basic...very basic...so basic its laughable,

Todays CPUs will never be on the same level as GPUs at Parallel Processing, Thats why More and more Apps are using the GPU. Until CPUs have more than 50 cores, its not going to happen.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    All games are GPU limited nowadays (except for some cases), but my point is I still have some CPU left over, so use that first!

Sure, make some monster crazy physics that you need a GPU for, if you can prove to me they can't be done on my CPU (or my CPU is maxed out), but don't tell me there is nothing you can do with that extra CPU power first.

9. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    This game looks like a rental.

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i agree, they seem to do it just fine on almost every game for the Consoles. they work the cpu/gpu and ram all in tandem and attempt to push their limits, thats why games for them look better each year.

sadly is not the case for PC's. if games look better the next year, you need new hardware, unlike consoles.

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I would not attempt to say stuff like "having the GPU process physics because CPU's are slower" or similar, the Cuda/Physx technology is very much still using the CPU.

Im suprised no one has seriously looked into it, to work what they're doing exactly.

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    sadly...:coffee:

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Game looks awesome! I would love to see half life death match evolve to something that looks like this!

Definately on my list to check out :)

14. Wanell

Wanell Member

GPU:
    2x GTX580 SC
    The song is Still Alive by Lisa Miskovsky. The song in the games movies are the one without her lyrics.

15. harvik780

harvik780 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTS 640M SLI,2x8600GT,8800GT
    ^Thanks i'll start pirating ASAP.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    The version with vocal is much better imo.

17. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cheers :thumbup:

18. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Those PhysX effects look cool, yeah maybe they're not so important in some places but they surely will make the gameplay better (by making the game atmosphere more real-like, and that's a plus to gameplay experience IMO).

19. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Ah man, I've been loathing over this game. Ever since I saw it in my Game Informer Magazine, I knew I had to get it. Absolutely stunning.

And the PC version comes out 5 days before my birthday. Sweet!

20. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    i think this has actually just tipped me over towards getting a 260 rather than a 4870