Mirror's Edge PC will get NVIDIA PhysX effects - Movie

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gameslove

Gameslove Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 4GB OC/GTS450physX
    I as hope too! Look amazing!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!! This gameplay is new idea in the game industry. I haven't see any games like this. :)

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    That's a very valid point you make there, Skiddywinks.

At least if you're using your PC mainly for gaming, a dual core CPU is definitely still the way to go, since you don't need the other two cores in 98% of today's games. (If you're trying to be cost-effective. Otherwise i7 is the way to go, of course. ;))

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    It just reeks of money making and spin when I have my C2Q using about 30-40% playing games like Far Cry 2, and yet they say "Buy another VGA! Make it run PhysX and look what it can do" when my God damn CPU could do the same if only they tried! Argh!

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Really, try Warmonger. It's unplayable without GPU acceleration. If you game runs at 5 FPS two additional cores will not make much difference.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    looks like a bunch of novelties mixed together.
    try looking at it without the snazzy effects and jumps, something which i'd say will wear off quick.

6. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    The hell? Limiting it to 9800GTX+ or higher?

Thats definatley not on, even though physx seems to hike up CPU usage.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Does that not seem like something that was done on purpose though?

I could just as easily say the statement that "Germans are friendly people" is proven wrong by using Hitler as an example. It's ludicrous.

Still, I am downloading it for research purposes anyway :)

8. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Look stunning! I buy everygame with great physic, (not physX).
    This game will get my money.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    So few papers flying around, water sprinkling and shatered glass is all you get extra? Sorry we've seen all that in Half-Life 2 or Painkiller without ANY kind of overhyped superduper physics engine.
    Wait, there was Crysis too in between. No special hardware accelerated physics engine and we got excellent physics. Only thing where you'd need is cloth simulation but i doubt it that even dual core CPU (C2D class) couldn't render an appropriate level of detail for clothing. So to me this is just an overhyping of the obvious just to sell few extra GeForce cards and could be otherwise done just the same by using software phyiscs engine. Bah...

10. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    if it's gonna use it like UT 3 does then it will suck.

physx is a bigger joke then SLI... i want to see walls falling down on enemies!!!!!! or whole buildings collapse

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well, Red Faction could do all that with its propertiary GeoMod engine. Whats more distrubing is that Red Faction was released in 2001. Thats basically 8 years back. Sure it wasn't perfect but then again no other game EVER attempted such environment destruction.
    Even if they hype hardware phyiscs so much we don't have anything else than bunch of useless tech demos. Yey to the awesome physics. Why don't they just stick to ragdolls.
    They seem to be standard for today's games...

12. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    The plastic wall and clothe effect is nice!

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Of cource it was made in purpose but you miss the point. No game uses that intensive physics. They wanted to make a game that uses so much physics that CPU only wouldn't be able to keep up alone. Mirror's Edge will (if enabled) and would run really badly using CPU only. By the way, enabling GPU PhysX does not mean that your cores are no utilized because they are in addition to GPU assisted physics processing.

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    like really.. i can't wait, even though i don't have Physx/nvidia the game looks like it's going to be a hit.

15. harvik780

harvik780 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTS 640M SLI,2x8600GT,8800GT
    So far PhysX has sucked.And limiting it to 9800GTX+ or higher video card just sucks big time.
    This is a sucky sucky world yay.
    Anyway just for this i will download a cracked version of the game to punish the developers.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I think you are missing my point. I'm not arguing that they put in as much physics as possible, that is clear and the whole point of the game.

What I am arguing is that they did not put "too much physics for a CPU", but that they designed it around using a GPGPU instead of a CPU, purely to make a point and as a bit of a gimmick. With my CPU barely being utilised in a game like Far Cry 2, I fail to see how someone could not code a game to do exactly the same on a CPU.

Actually, I know exactly why. Because this way is worth money. Coding for something people already have is wasted potential profit. Code it for something people have to buy extra instead, and you have a great way of making a quick buck.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You can't get the same physics fidelity no matter how much you optimize. The pure fact is that parallel processing power is just so much better in GPU that it will slaughter CPU in physics processing and in everything else that scales well for parallel processing. It's impossible, you never get as good performance using CPU only in Warmonger (or anything like that that uses some heavy physics effects). You just can't optimize it or you would have to sacriface a lot of things like how many times per second physics are calculated or other things. Warmonger wasn't even made for GPU PhysX in mind, it was made for PhysX card. Again, it is not possible to get game like Warmonger to work smoothly on current CPU's. It's not some kind of conspiracy, it's just pure mathematical fact.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  18. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    9800GTX+? Your telling me my 9800GTX's aren't supported because of some clock speed differences?

19. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Dudes, be easy, the words in that video only mention the minimun nVidia card with PhysX that is in production, or in market, it´s a pure advertising.

Is obvious that they will not mention a card that is no more in production, I´m sure that all PhysX capable cards will support physics acceleration.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    As anarion already said physics processing scales well in parallel. Also, one of the main reasons for physics on GPU was that they are being calculated on the same chip that's rendering them. This removes a lot of overhead overall. The best possible solution would have everything calculated in one area, DX calls, AI, Physics, Graphics.. all in one spot.

Anyway, I guess I'm the only one not impressed at all by the video. I mean the glass breaking effects are pretty nice, but the cloth stuff was done as far back as Splintercell. It's been in the Havok engine for years. I can't really say that it looks like it makes the game significantly better.