Minneapolis Bridge Collapsed!!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by T1tan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    The reason why I posted this is because how scary it must have been.. The height of rush hour and a 60ft high bridge collapses sending dozens of cars and tons of steel and concrete down to the river with it. Drowning, being crushed to death... seriously is shocking.

RIP: death toll so far : 7

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=nation_world&id=5532297

on another note: My mom told me once that a bridge that my father built collapsed (he's a retired civil engineer) and that he almost got in trouble for it. Does anyone know for a fact that the head engineer of this highway-bridge will get into serious trouble, possibly jail time? I have mixed feelings about this

2. Yeh i heard this in the radio at work all day. Was just looking at the pictures on CNN.com. Like when you think of bridge collapse you think of a section. This entire stretch just folded down on itself, to be honest its very weird looking at the pictures.

Ive never seen a bridge fully collapse in all sections like that. Its asif there was a " ripple " from one side to the other....vrey strange. Hope they find the course of this.

R.I.P. to those lost.

EDIT: i dont know if he can get into trouble, because the bridge past safety checks in 2005 and 2006. It may be to early to say, but something about this doesnt seem right. If it was checked and certified safe...then how can it just crumble? the steels all bent and twisted....just looks like something else is at play. Metal fatigue could have a course

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  3. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    I use/used that bridge everyday to get in and out of Minneapolis, mainly from the U of M campus. That whole stretch of 35W this summer has been horrible due to all of the roadwork. My bro drove over the bridge from 5:40-5:50 (lots of traffic) and said there were construction workers everywhere, which is nothing different from every other day this summer. So I guess my conclusion is, its probably construction related and somebody messed up at some point.

4. Don Rockard

Don Rockard Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX/TR HR-03 Plus

5. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    A bridge is an incredibly complex piece of engineering. The different kinds of forces affecting it are innumerable. Any number of things might have gone wrong. Perhaps it was a design flaw. Maybe the construction firm cut corners. Maybe an unforeseen influence caused material wear. The investigation will shed light on it anyway. I had 3 bridges blown up in my town and the sight of a collapsed bridge is chilling, to say the least.

6. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    might be becuase of Heat , high temps could weaken the structure...

Very bad news ..

7. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Death toll just reported in Aus is 9 with 20 still missing.

RIP to those that died and condolences to the families.

8. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
  9. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Not saying this isn't a tragedy.. Saw it on the news this morning in disbelief, it's horrible, but in Montreal Quebec...(the east side of Canada) a bridge also collapse except it was over top a highway. So not only those that fell down got killed but all the people passing under the bridge also were instantly killed. The bridge was inspected a year before and it was seen as safe yet, pieces of concrete were said to be falling from the bridge. So they sent out a few people and they inspected the bridge and signed it off as safe. Only a few days later it collapsed. I heard the engineer was going to face charges, but since then never heard another thing.

My condolences to families! :(

10. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra

11. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244

The official death toll from local authorities is 4, and not 7 or 9 as being reported elsewhere for some bizarre reason.

It is going to get a lot higher though within the next few days. The number of missing is unknown right now (20 is a terrible estimate, imho) as witnesses and victims are reporting 30-50 vehicles that went directly into the Mississippi River, although that estimate seems a bit high. There are reportedly some vehicles that fell off the middle section and are underneath the north and south sections. So nobody really knows. There is potential for the fatality count to end up being two or three dozen.

that stretch of the Mississippi is right below a dam and the current is extremely strong and swift. It's a very difficult stretch to work in by boat or divers.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't see why there is such a big fuss about a bridge collapsing, I think it was just a slow news day. I mean this **** happens, but hell looking at the other news stories around today it is insane why this is getting so much coverage.

I mean we got a earthquake in Russia with fatalities, bomb exploded in a Mexico City shopping mall, etc.

Or maybe it is just me being cynical and not seeing the full picture?

13. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    You see this happened in the USA.

14. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    You're being cynical. Fatal bridge collapses with potentially dozens dead are not a common occurrence in the U.S. There have been just a handful in US history:

Hatchie River Bridge (Hwy US-51) collapse, 1989, Tennessee - 8 killed when a 3 span section of the bridge failed due to scour of the bridge foundations.

San Francisco Bay Bridge, 1989 - 1 killed when Loma Prieta earthquake caused upper deck of eastern truss to collapse onto main deck carrying traffic.

Cypress Street Viaduct, 1989 - 42 killed during Loma Prieta earthquake.

That's it as far as simple structural collapses without human error/accident being the root cause (barge, truck, train, explosion melting superstructure, etc.). So really only one other structural collapse has caused fatalities, Hatchie River. Tacoma Narrows and others had no fatalities. This one could wind up almost as bad as Loma Prieta.

15. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I think it is a 'bad deal' but it is not a 'big deal'.

The endless news coverage is a little wearing. The bobble heads saying the same things and asking the same tired questions over and over and over drives me bat sh*t no matter what the headline is.

At least I am not having to watch 24/7 Paris Hilton coverage which is a blessing I guess. This is the first day in about 2 weeks where I don't know what Paris Hilton had for lunch. J/K (almost).

Anyhow - RIP.

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    as for bridge collapses this one seems significant.
    i remember one in conneticut last year a section of r95 fell
    could not find a link the story.

the closer i think we are to things like this the bigger deal it is.

this should shake up some "bridge inspecters" and or 'city bugets" to stop putting off repairs and replacements.

17. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Honestly. It wasn't me. I didn't do it.

18. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    On the other hand it's better than hearing about innocent iraqi people and soldiers getting killed by kamikaze bombers, Paris Hilton, George Bush or Al Gore and the environment. News is jumping all over this because it's something different. What doesn't the news blow out of proportion? And people wonder why I couldn't give a $hit about TV.

19. t3chff3j

t3chff3j New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GT 512 (G92)
    50 -60 cars is a vague estimate. This is an 8 lane interstate bridge and a massive section of the span fell into the Mississippi River during the height of rush hour (those of you in Minneapolis know how UGLY that can be)... THAT'S why this is such a big deal. Regardless of what country it happened in, there is a human factor that is making this a big deal. There are cars and bodies trapped under the wreckage that recovery crews simply can't get to... for anyone to be so dismissive of this event is profoundly disturbing.

20. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    man,dont be so shallow.