Mini, Air tuners. Seen these?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by ROBSCIX, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey guys, I have been looking around my area for anything cool that I might be able to add to my setup here..Have any of you guys seen these little set top half Sat dish's? hard to explain the are small and sit on the top of the TV and are supposed to be able to tune air based HDTV channels? I personally am a speptic of this and have seen the big unit for the free to air arena. Anybody know of the unit I am speaking of? I figured if they can pick up a reasonably strong signal I can connect to my AIW and use the built in TUNER to tune what it can tune..thx for any info..
    Note: I went back and looked at one today and they are indoor HDTV antenna's with built in amplifiers..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  2. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    I have seen those. You still need a HDTV tuner. If your HDTV has a built in HDTV tuner, then all your need is any HDTV capable antena. However if your HDTV is HDTV ready, it means it only got a Standard Def TV tuner built in. In other words you gotta buy a HDTV tuner and an HDTV capable Anttena.

I suggest people stick with their Sat or Cable provider. Off air will only get you your local channels, and only the major ones will have HD chanels. However there is a posibility that your area does not even broadcast HD over the air. Even if you do got HD locals you still need HD service for Sat or Cable TV to watch your fav cable channels and preimium channels. Note that only a handfull of these cable and preimum chanels are even HD.

HDTV service is very limited right now. HDTVs of today are just future proofing for tomorrow. In 2008 US will switch to 100% digital TV signals. Meaning that no analog signals will exist. In this time TV will enter the HDTV era, where 480p is the lowest of HD (also known as ED: Enhanced Definition), and 1080p is the pinacle of HD.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    SO what is the picture quality like on these things? I am just really surprised they can send HDTV signals over the air and still have any integrity. OK, say for instance I cannected this tuner to my AIW and set it for antenna and set it to auto scan..would I get anything watchable? I mean this is a theory conversations..like do these things produce alright pciture?